LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Crispy9

Crispy9 New Member

For people with Loake Otterburn/Chester Tan or Loake tan shoes, what's the best colour Saphir Shoe Cream to use with it? Light Brown or Medium, or even Neutral?

Thanks.

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

All 3, light brown or neutral if you don't want to deepen the colour, but in all honesty, even mid brown won't darken it too much.

3. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Looking at the Loake website this morning I saw a new model, the Loake Taunton, made on the 026 last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to see shoes photographed outside for a change, in the real world, instead of against a white studio backdrop.

Anyway, I found those exterior photos on Loake's Swedish website, and while there I noticed mention of Loake 1880 MTO.
    Translating the Swedish with Google gives the following...
    And here are some MTO Burgundy Buckinghams...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

5. AlanFM

AlanFM Member

[​IMG]

Hi - I've just posted a (somewhat Loake-centric!) website on shoes, shoemaking and etc. I've created it just for my enjoyment and interest ... and yours. Please have a look at it and comment on it either as a post here or via the contact form on the site. I'm especially keen to have others try out the size and fitting calculator and then let me know how well it works.
    The site is here http://www.alanmurray.org.uk/shoemaking/
    Best wishes

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. AlanFM

AlanFM Member

Agree about the Taunton - a very nice shoe - rather like a posher Woodstock!

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

8. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Yes, and that Swedish Loake website seems to be full of them.
    And they have photos on their blog from months ago of shoes that the Loake UK site has only revealed in the past week or two.

I agree about the Hyde boot.
    I think it goes on my wish list for later in the year.
    Spent too much on shoes lately.

[​IMG]

9. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

These Loake Strand beauties arrived today. Now on their way to get topied.

t[​IMG]

10. SHS

SHS Senior member

11. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Anybody is familiar with 019 or Loafer lasts? Yesterday received Loake Eton (019 last) in size 7.5F and they are significantly small. What is approximately difference between 7.5F and 8F in this last? My Capital last size is 8F, while Swing 7.5F. I also have one pair on Capital last 7.5F, they are a bit small than should be but still acceptable, when comparing 019 last Capital 7.5F it (019) significantly tighter and smaller. What you will suggest? I think about 3 options:

1) Send them back and exchange to 8F (There is big chance that they still will be too small, while 8.5F can be already too large since this is loafer)
    2) Send them back and try Loake Lincoln 8F which have Loafer last, maybe they will be a bit bigger initially.
    3) Most safe and less preferable variant, send them back and exchange to different shoes on Capital Last (Additional Loake Cannon to my collection, or Buckingham).

Thanks,

P.S
    We don't have Loake stores here, so it's impossible to try different sizes in real.

Some pictures:

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Pimlico (Capital last) 8F
    [​IMG]

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Cannon (Capital last) 7.5F - they a bit too tight but still can wear them, 8F would be better of course.
    [​IMG]

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Gladstone (Swing last) 7.5F
    [​IMG]

My left feet vs Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. Biberach

Biberach Active Member

The Aldwych arrived last week. As they are intended to be used as working shoes in inclement weather (there used to be lots of snow here, though not this winter) I had them topy-ed at a local cobbler (who is also a really good shoemaker). It costs me 20 euro, and the result is here. I couldn't be more satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. humphery

humphery Member

I've the Loake Embankment (025 last) loafer. Like your Eton, they're at least 1 full size smaller than what one would consider true-to-size( i.e. 8F loafter last = 7F non-loafer last)
    According to Herring's description, they're made deliberately so, probably to minimize heel slip after breakin, I guess

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=6453

"This last is used for Loakes loafer range, and due to the nature of this style they can have a more fitted feel to them. This style is not suited to people who tend to need wider fitting shoes"

Mine ended up OK for the fit though a bit more room in the toe box would be more desirable. Your Eton is made of suede which is more easy to stretch than calf leather, so probably the fit will be Ok after breakin, provided you can squeeze your feet into them now that they're brand new

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  14. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Thanks humphery for fast response,
    Maybe I should try 8F Eton, but regarding current pair in size 7.5F there is no chance they will fit me. I've forgotten to said that in the right shoe I can't even slightly straighten my toes. Are your sure there is no difference between 019 and 025? It's strange, in such case why they have different names (numbers)?

15. Claus

Claus Senior member

I have little data for the 019 last (and even less for the Loafer last, unfortunately).

However, it seems the 019 fits similar to the 026 in F (same size). Generally speaking, people who like the fit of the Capital don't quite like the 026 and visa versa, but most people take the same size in both.

In my opinion, a UK 8.0 for the 019 last is your best option if you really want that loafer.

Whether you should buy it, at all, is a though question.

Nowadays, my rule of thumb is: Non-fitting shoes have the tendency to accumulate. You'll quickly forget a shoe you didn't buy (unless it was an amazing opportunity). Shoes you've bought, on the other hand, will stay with you for the next ten years or so.