1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Claus

Claus Senior member

No offense but I have my doubts this is from Loake.

Maybe, it's from a vendor who didn't know what he was doing. After all, the subtitle under the image view say "Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2". Of course, I don't know how Styleforum manages their affairs, and where this subtitle comes from. But it seems unlikely Styleforum has access to the eBay image processing infrastructure. I'd say the image probably comes from an eBay source.

Also, the information is weird: Stick length isn't always measured "to the end of your big toe", because, for some people, the second toe is longer. Also, a stick length of 276mm translates to a UK 9.5 – not a UK 8.0! This indicates, the table was created by someone who forgot to include the nominal allowance. Also, the UK-US conversion is one unit today. Additionally, what's "8H" listed under "US" supposed to mean?

Overall, this doesn't add up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Claus

Claus Senior member

The 8112 from Red Wing is build on the 8 last which is available in D or EE. You didn't say which width you are wearing.

3. Matthew6tcy

Matthew6tcy Member

I am so sorry. I am wearing in US7 (UK6) D Thanks for reminding!

4. Claus

Claus Senior member

No problem! :)

If you get no other information, maybe the following will help. Note that this is not from personal experience but from the data members submitted on my site.

First, there's one member who wears Red Wing's 8 last in US 8.5-D. He also wears Loake's 3625 last in UK 8.0-F, although it's not as comfortable as Red Wing's 8 last. Unfortunately, his annotation is a bit cryptic ("to brigth") which I think means "too wide" (not everyone is a native English speaker).

Second, most people wear Loake's Capital last in the same size they wear Loake's 3625 last.

Which would suggest that the Strand in UK 6.5-F would fit too loose.

If you're (very) risk-averse, stay with that size and use an insole or other means to make it fit better if it indeed turns out to be too loose.

If you're more of a gambling man, go with the UK 6.0 in F.

My gut feeling says, the second option is worth the risk. If there's a AE dealer near you, I may be able to provide additional information so you can corroborate how a UK 6.0 probably feels like.

1 person likes this.
  5. Matthew6tcy

Matthew6tcy Member

Thanks for your great reply and advise Mr. Claus! I am from HongKong and sorry about my really bad English. I got some advises from the members on the internet. They suggest me to buy UK 5.5 or even UK 6.0 for my Strand. Which is quite differ to your suggestion. Hope you can understand my point. LOL Anyway thank you very much!!!!!!

6. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

It's from the Loake factory outlet so I asumed they have some contact with the company itself.....??

Also - the mention of "nominal allowance" I don't follow? the stick length that translates to UK9½ is not the size of the shoe. The length of my foot is 27,5cm - the corresponding "stick length" in the chart would be UK8 and there were at least 2 cm until my toes would have touched the leather at the tip of the shoe.... Is that what you were refering to?

It wasn't my intention to mislead anyone. The chart worked perfectly for me to figure out what size I should pick...
    - Morten

7. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Interesting thought, although I probably wouldn't be confident enough trying that with a new pair of shoes.

I am afraid the first pair will have to be returned as unwanted.

8. Claus

Claus Senior member

Well, this explains where the eBay label comes from.

However, I cross-checked the number's in the table with the calculated values, and it seems to me, whoever created this table, he or she truly forget to add an allowance.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone from the marketing or sales department forget to ask the engineers – or, in this case, the last makers – how the numbers of a product really should be used. Another possible source for errors is the use of some kind of spreadsheet software, which may have devastated the economy of some countries, already.

Whatever the source, I really doubt anyone should use this.

9. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

Understand the feeling [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about the return, was it the one with the mark on the sole?

10. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

The pair with the slight mark on one sole, which is unlikely to affect performance, is being kept. However, the shoes to be returned are with the much lighter than expected shade of brown.

According to British consumer law, within a given period of time, all purchases made on the internet can be returned after initial inspection.

1 person likes this.
  11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

^ Both pairs started from the same colour, the darken effect of the burnishing process can vary and the result could be different, nothing that a darker cream and polish routine couldn't resolve.

12. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input, alexSF.

However, I am aware of how the burnishing process works, which was also featured in the Loake Sweden blog. Furthermore, I imagine the process requires a certain amount of experience and takes up much time, neither of which I have in abundance at present. Moreover, I would not generally recommend experimenting with burnishing techniques on a new pair of shoes, as there is potential for ruining them.

Finally, I should also add that I have no need for two pairs of the same shoes, so one of them would have to go.

[​IMG]

Picture, courtesy of the Loake Sweden blog.

1 person likes this.
  13. adampaul

adampaul Member

Hi, everyone! Just checking in to say I received my brown Strands yesterday from Pediwear. It's taken about 2.5 weeks since ordering (I live on the east coast of the US). Pediwear was a huge pleasure to deal with. They also threw in some wax polish and a shoe horn, which I thought was a nice gesture. Going forward, please keep in mind that the only other pair of proper (i.e. full-grain leather, goodyear welted) shoes I own are my black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, which I've had for about 1.5 years. The very first thing I noticed when I unboxed the Strands was the feel of the leather was different from my PAs and, at first thought, not in a good way. I thought it was rather stiff/cardboardy (spoiler alert: I was very mistaken). My PAs are size US10.5D and fit reasonably well (well enough that they are comfortable and wearable). But judging from where the balls of my feet sit in them, I should have gone with US10D. I sent a similar statement to Pediwear and if I felt a US10D would have fit me better in the PAs, they suggested size UK9.5 for the Strands. I indeed ordered size UK9.5. When I first tried the Strands on last night, I don't think I could ask for a better fit for the cost of these shoes. The width is good, length is good, the balls of my feet sit right wear they should in the shoes, laces/vamp close almost all the way, and no discernible heel slippage. I wore them to work today, and they've been comfortable and light on my feet the whole time. The leather feels a good bit softer/pliable now while still holding shape. A while back, I was also concerned that the brown color wouldn't be dark enough for me. I would happily say these are on the darker side of medium brown (not to be too subjective). All in all, I'm really glad I went with these shoes. For the money, these are just the ticket. Thanks to all of you contributing great info and helping others out. Hopefully this writeup helps someone else in the future. Cheers!

2 people like this.
  14. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info, adampaul.

Interestingly, I felt the same way about the calf leather on the Loake shoes I received recently. However, I am also hoping that it will soften up, as my other full-grain leather shoes have become increasingly softer and fuller over time with regular polishing.

15. techaview

techaview Senior member

Mind to share picture? I ordered mine from robinsonsshoes and am still waiting, I ordered mahogany and robinsonsshoes told me they are the still colour as dark brown from loake website.

16. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

Give us pics! [​IMG]

17. adampaul

adampaul Member

I should have anticipated the requests for photos. I'll post some pics this afternoon/evening of the shoes off, and maybe on, my feet.

18. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

Good boy! [​IMG]

19. adampaul

adampaul Member

Alright alright. Here are some pics. The color is the "Mahogany Burnished Calf" as listed on Pediwear's site. The color/shade in the photos is rather accurate. All photos were taken on an HTC One phone using the camera's HDR setting. I tried to capture what they look like in real life under these various conditions. The shoes have had one day of wear. First, to jog you memories, for reference here's the photo Pediwear sent me when I asked them about the color (under fluorescent desk lighting):

[​IMG]

First up for my photos, Strands on my linoleum kitchen floor under my soft white indoor fluorescent lights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, in my living room under the soft glow of some CFL light bulbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the pièce de résistance, on my feet. For some reason, a few of the photos look like there is a reddish hue on the shoes in some places. That is not representative of reality. It's again probably due to the settings of my phone. Please excuse the jeans, I had just come home with the kids from a rather active birthday party for a 3-year old when I put on the shoes [​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the requisite legs crossed and propped up pose (you can really see the nonexistent reddish hue here):

[​IMG]

And back in the bags with the plastic shoe horn. Thanks for watching!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Anyone have an idea what the leather is on this pair of Loakes I won on eBay?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]