1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Anybody is familiar with 019 or Loafer lasts? Yesterday received Loake Eton (019 last) in size 7.5F and they are significantly small. What is approximately difference between 7.5F and 8F in this last? My Capital last size is 8F, while Swing 7.5F. I also have one pair on Capital last 7.5F, they are a bit small than should be but still acceptable, when comparing 019 last Capital 7.5F it (019) significantly tighter and smaller. What you will suggest? I think about 3 options:

1) Send them back and exchange to 8F (There is big chance that they still will be too small, while 8.5F can be already too large since this is loafer)
    2) Send them back and try Loake Lincoln 8F which have Loafer last, maybe they will be a bit bigger initially.
    3) Most safe and less preferable variant, send them back and exchange to different shoes on Capital Last (Additional Loake Cannon to my collection, or Buckingham).

Thanks,

P.S
    We don't have Loake stores here, so it's impossible to try different sizes in real.

Some pictures:

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Pimlico (Capital last) 8F
    [​IMG]

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Cannon (Capital last) 7.5F - they a bit too tight but still can wear them, 8F would be better of course.
    [​IMG]

Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F vs Loake Gladstone (Swing last) 7.5F
    [​IMG]

My left feet vs Loake Eton (019 Last) 7.5F
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Biberach

Biberach Active Member

The Aldwych arrived last week. As they are intended to be used as working shoes in inclement weather (there used to be lots of snow here, though not this winter) I had them topy-ed at a local cobbler (who is also a really good shoemaker). It costs me 20 euro, and the result is here. I couldn't be more satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. humphery

humphery Member

I've the Loake Embankment (025 last) loafer. Like your Eton, they're at least 1 full size smaller than what one would consider true-to-size( i.e. 8F loafter last = 7F non-loafer last)
    According to Herring's description, they're made deliberately so, probably to minimize heel slip after breakin, I guess

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=6453

"This last is used for Loakes loafer range, and due to the nature of this style they can have a more fitted feel to them. This style is not suited to people who tend to need wider fitting shoes"

Mine ended up OK for the fit though a bit more room in the toe box would be more desirable. Your Eton is made of suede which is more easy to stretch than calf leather, so probably the fit will be Ok after breakin, provided you can squeeze your feet into them now that they're brand new

1 person likes this.
  4. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Thanks humphery for fast response,
    Maybe I should try 8F Eton, but regarding current pair in size 7.5F there is no chance they will fit me. I've forgotten to said that in the right shoe I can't even slightly straighten my toes. Are your sure there is no difference between 019 and 025? It's strange, in such case why they have different names (numbers)?

5. Claus

Claus Senior member

I have little data for the 019 last (and even less for the Loafer last, unfortunately).

However, it seems the 019 fits similar to the 026 in F (same size). Generally speaking, people who like the fit of the Capital don't quite like the 026 and visa versa, but most people take the same size in both.

In my opinion, a UK 8.0 for the 019 last is your best option if you really want that loafer.

Whether you should buy it, at all, is a though question.

Nowadays, my rule of thumb is: Non-fitting shoes have the tendency to accumulate. You'll quickly forget a shoe you didn't buy (unless it was an amazing opportunity). Shoes you've bought, on the other hand, will stay with you for the next ten years or so.

1 person likes this.
  6. humphery

humphery Member

'cause 019 and 025 are different lasts( first row of the pict below). Just that both your Eton and my Embankment are loafers, so I supposed Loake did that "auto size down" thing for both....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Biberach

Biberach Active Member

I just couldn't help buying a second pair at this price.. Savoy in Mahogany, sorry for the inaccurate color due to the poor light condition.

[​IMG]

And I'm really glad that the same size Mayfair last fits me quite well.

8. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Very nice Biberach!

9. Biberach

Biberach Active Member

Thanks Bill. Have you got your Strand back from cobbler?

10. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Not yet. They should be ready Tuesday.

11. M McB

M McB Member

I have finally ordered my first pair of Loakes!

Ordered the Victor in tan from A Hume, I've ordered other products from them before and always received great service.

12. Carson

Carson Senior member

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new here, and I am considering my first pair of Loake boots. I normally go for Tricker's, but I am looking for a black calf cap-toe boot, and I'd have to go MTO with Tricker's which is way too much $$ for a calf boot.

I am looking at two different boots that have some similarities, but are built on two different lasts, neither of which I have any experience with.

1. Is the Loake 1880 Dovedale boot in black calf on a 024 last

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/6327.php

2. Is the Loake 1880 Hyde boot in black calf on a capital last

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/6341.php

I normally wear a 8.5UK in a Tricker's 4497 last

The idea is mainly for business casual wearing, but with the possibility of dressing it up/down as wanted/needed.

Happy to have discovered the Loake 1880 line which seems like great quality for price point

Thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions….

13. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Hi Carson,

I ordered my first pair of Loakes from Pediwear also. I asked lots of questions and they we're really helpful. Highly recommend you ask them also. I have my new Loakes Stand in burgundy on today. Wonderful shoe and fit!

1 person likes this.
  14. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

Is it true that Pediwear makes you member of so-called Loake shoe club after purchasing, entitling you to (limited) discounts?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  15. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, 15% off! I think. And they stock Trickers too, so they can provide you a good comparison.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Thanks for your excellent site, it is very readable and informative. Bookmarked :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  17. AlanFM

AlanFM Member

You are very welcome, Chuckie Egg. I don't want anything from the site other than the pleasure of others' enjoyment - so thanks for the good feedback and please tell your friends! Alan.

18. Chuckie Egg

Thanks Alan, it's a really informative and useful site. Haven't finished reading it all yet! I do think Loake 1880 are underrated and I think they are hard to beat for quality to price ratio. I wear my Loake Edward more than any other shoes. It's so comfy and the tan burnishes really nicely. :)

19. AlanFM

AlanFM Member

Agreed re Loake - I have (probably too many!) pairs of Loakes and it's hard to think of a favourite. I was also reinforced in my Loakephilia by winning a "Superfan" tour of the Loake workshops in Kettering. You'll find references and a link to that on my web pages or directly on http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/?p=589. They really are very nice people who care a great deal about their product and heritage.
    Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to see added to the site, as I enjoy both doing the research and putting the words and pictures together. If you have time to check your foot size and fit against the chart and calculator on my web pages, please let me know if it gets your Edwards right(!). That would be especially helpful.

20. Chuckie Egg

I've actually had my foot measured on a brannock so I know what it should be. I'll give your calculator a go to see if it matches up.