• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nathan84

Reaction score
Hi,

I interested in purchasing a pair of Loake Cannon, however it is problematic to decide which shoe size to choose and I want to consult with you.
Currently I have 7.5F UK Loake Gladstone which fit me well (a bit wider in front part of foot that should be, but acceptable), however I heard that their last differs (bigger) from other Loake shoes. Should I order 8F UK or stay with 7.5F UK?
P.S
I can't try them in shop since I live in Israel and we don't have Loake's retailer.

Thanks in advance

Terpo

Reaction score
I haven't tried the swing last yet, but in comparison to other Loake lasts I find the Capital is quite big, so I've had to size down from 10.5 to 10.

StephenB

Reaction score
I got in my Strands and Savoy. The Strands have to go back to Herring and exchange for a 8 UK (from an 8.5), for anyone who is interested that means I take a US 9 in the AE 333 last and an UK 8 in the Loake Mayfair and Capital last. The Burgundy strands were REALLY nice looking and its a shame I had to send them back to exchange :(

Pictures of my new pick up:

10420926195_fd1ee70e74_c.jpg

and my small collection so far (burgundy Strands incoming):

10420925346_39cbccb81b_c.jpg

jobojolo

Reaction score
nice shoes.

why it seems that everyone enjoys the capital and mayfair last in the same size, but not me?? :cloud:

rainbowgrease

Reaction score
I would suggest staying with 7.5 UK, I just purchased a pair myself and they fit very comfortably on my usual shoe size.
I typically wear 6.5UK size on Tricker's.

Nathan84

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I will try as you recommended the 7.5F and will update you with results ASAP.
Hope they will fit fine.

StephenB

Reaction score
So bad news, my strands that do not fit are going to cost $60 to return. Does anyone want to trade/purchase them?

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
I got in my Strands and Savoy. The Strands have to go back to Herring and exchange for a 8 UK (from an 8.5), for anyone who is interested that means I take a US 9 in the AE 333 last and an UK 8 in the Loake Mayfair and Capital last. The Burgundy strands were REALLY nice looking and its a shame I had to send them back to exchange
frown.gif
Nice how does quality/comfort of Rutledge compare to Loake? I found the sheep skin and poron insole made independence shoes much more comfortable than regular AE.
Did Herring suggest that you get the two different sizes on Capital/Mayfair

I'm also trying to figure out Loake sizing, I wear US 9.5 on AE 333 UK 8 on C&J on the 348 last and I'm inclined to go with 8 UK on capital too

StephenB

Reaction score

Nice how does quality/comfort of Rutledge compare to Loake? I found the sheep skin and poron insole made independence shoes much more comfortable than regular AE.
Did Herring suggest that you get the two different sizes on Capital/Mayfair

I'm also trying to figure out Loake sizing, I wear US 9.5 on AE 333 UK 8 on C&J on the 348 last and I'm inclined to go with 8 UK on capital too

Nah the capital/mayfair size difference was my "experiment" I thought I had enough anecdotal evidence to warrant two different sizes. The 333's were definitely too large on me in 9.5 but the 9's are perfect, with the way the 8.5 UK capital last fit I think the 8's will be great. So maybe you should go with 8.5 UK? Check out SizeAdvisor.com

Its hard to tell which is more comfortable yet, I haven't gotten the Savoy's worn in yet but I am very happy with my rutledge's they are extremely comfortable and may be hard to beat.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited the Loake Factory a couple of weeks ago, and wrote a long report on my blog, which might be of interest. You get to read about Loakes unique steam room which has reduced the number of rejects drastically, about a new agent in USA, and about plans for a new top line, for example: http://shoegazingpunktse.blogspot.se/2013/10/reportage-besok-i-loake-fabriken.html

The blog is written in Swedish, but you can use the translation tool on the upper right of the web version of the page, to make it understandable.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting piece; thanks for posting.

I think a higher grade Loake line could give C&J a run for its money. I think the sweet spot quality wise would be something between CJ hand grade and bench grade.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very interesting piece; thanks for posting.

I think a higher grade Loake line could give C&J a run for its money. I think the sweet spot quality wise would be something between CJ hand grade and bench grade.

and also Alfred Sargent and Carmina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads