1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have a pair of Burford, rubber soled, Loakes. Is it possible to have them resoled with a leather? I am not keen on the rubber soles even though I have had them for a couple of years. The rubber soles feel a bit too 'light' with what are fairly heavyweight shoes. Thanks and best wishes, Munky.

2. shoesforever

shoesforever Senior Member

@Munky Yes, you can. This is pretty common depending on what you prefer. Although rubber soles are normally heavier than leather soles, so I'm not sure it is the right choice.

3. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior Member

In my experience double leather soles are heavier than dainite rubber soles.

4. Munky

Thank you for these points guys. It is also my experience that Dainite rubber soles are lighter than leather ones. Yours, Munky.

5. TheForeigner

TheForeigner Senior Member

Took more than two months since I ordered them from Sweden, but I blame the Kazakh customs. Finally they’re here, the Loake 1880 Avon D523C0D4-D28F-4402-B6D8-8A9677D1F4A7.jpeg BC8CEA3E-6F79-4A5E-B61C-290DEC104EF9.jpeg

6. Munky

I am about to embark on an uncontrolled experiment, with my 4 year old Chester's. I am going to France, next week and only have room for the shoes I will be wearing. Thus, I will be wearing my Chesters for seven days, without rotation. Does life get more exciting? I will be taking a microfibre cloth with me, to dust them off every day. I haven't had them repaired so far, but they are beginning to get a bit thin at the toe of the sole. I will report back if the shoes finally shed their soles. What fun! Yours, Munky. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

7. josef1

josef1 Senior Member

Would love to see some before and after pics! Good luck!

8. Munky

Thanks, josef1. I don't have the means of taking photos before but I might be able to get one after! Yours. M.

9. MrJohnFrose

MrJohnFrose Member

I will probably get a lot of hate for bringing these up :

Had the chance to purchase a cheap pair of Loake Design range cap toes and I am very curious to see how they hold up.

I am far from naive, I do realise that they are Asian made and the leather quality is, visibly, inferior. However they are Goodyear welted and feel somewhat heavy and sturdy.

I believe in giving chances and being open minded when it comes to budget sartorial choices, is there anyone here wishing to share their experience ?

Best wishes

20180412_180329.jpg

10. Munky

Hello Mr Froze,
    These look very good to me. They are a nice shape and if you have got them at a good price then I think you have done well. I have never been particularly worried that some of Loake's shoes are made in India. They use the same processes to make them and - presumably - the same quality of leather. Loake even admit that they cannot be sure that all the parts of their 1880 range are made in England.

My criteria for buying shoes are a) do I like them, b) do they feel comfortable and c) can I afford them. And sometimes, do I need another pair of shoes.

I have some expensive shoes and some much cheaper ones. I like both. Enjoy wearing them. Yours, Munky.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

11. MrJohnFrose

MrJohnFrose Member

First of all,thank you for the appreciative words.

I, honestly, would admit that the leather quality is not on the same level as what I've seen on their other lines.

12. Munky

No, you wouldn't expect the leather quality to be as good as that in the 1880s. They look good, though. Best wishes, M.

13. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

I handled a few pairs of Loake Shoemakers/design shoes recently and they seemed pretty decent shoes at a very fair price point.

14. RVFIO

RVFIO New Member

Got a great bargain this week - burgundy Strands on ebay, worn 5-6 times according to the post - £86 (trees not included)

Anyone with experience of burgundy Loakes - is Bordeaux the best match Saphir cream/polish?

[​IMG]

15. Munky

These are nice shoes and I think you will find them to be very comfortable. I would use Burgundy cream on them. Bordeaux is a bit dark. Yours, Munky.