• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much appriciated @The Classical !

It was the Tobacco Suede i was looking at. I already own the Loake 1880 suede Kempton which i very much enjoy and was hoping to add another piece of their suede chukkas and was contemplating the Lawrence.

I am not looking for completely light brown tan color so i am really having a hard time deciding whether the Tobacco Lawrence is the right shoe for me.

FWIW, here are my Herring Shoes version of the Kempton in cigar suede, the Gosforth II. They are a touch darker in real life.
IMG_2054.jpg

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Sean.
I’ve ordered in my usual size, 11. I always seem to forget the benefit of insoles when buying shoes. Always better to have a shoe slightly too big, that can be fixed with an insole than one that’s too tight and can’t be fixed at all (a mistake I’ve made a few times).

Looking forward to getting these, took advantage of Pediwears Black Friday sale. They’ll make a nice edition to my growing 1880 collection.

Cheers.

Despite my comment, above, about using insoles, I would like to suggest buying shoes as close to your size as possible. This may involve trying on a variety of sizes and shoes made on different lasts. I think that insoles can make fine adjustments to sizing but I wouldn't go out to buy a pair of shoes with the idea of necessarily using insoles. Nor would I buy shoes 'slightly too big', if I could avoid it. Shoes that are very slightly tight, can, with wear, become very comfortable. With slightly larger shoes, your feet are likely to swim in them. The real point is to buy shoes that fit you.

On the other hand, ready-to-wear companies make generic, standard size shoes that could never fit everyone. Also, there is no standardisation of fit, between lasts or shoemakers. This, I think, is where the fine adjustments of insoles come into play. Note that you may need insoles at first and then find that you don't need them once the soles have worn in a bit.

The ultimate, of course, is to buy bespoke shoes and I suspect not every pair of these is an exact fit - although it should be. I am never going to be able to afford a pair of bespoke, so I stick to trying to find the pair of shoes that fits me best with the caveat that I will use insoles, if necessary. Just another anxiety...not all insoles are the same...:uhoh:

London Guy

Reaction score
Despite my comment, above, about using insoles, I would like to suggest buying shoes as close to your size as possible. This may involve trying on a variety of sizes and shoes made on different lasts. I think that insoles can make fine adjustments to sizing but I wouldn't go out to buy a pair of shoes with the idea of necessarily using insoles. Nor would I buy shoes 'slightly too big', if I could avoid it. Shoes that are very slightly tight, can, with wear, become very comfortable. With slightly larger shoes, your feet are likely to swim in them. The real point is to buy shoes that fit you.

On the other hand, ready-to-wear companies make generic, standard size shoes that could never fit everyone. Also, there is no standardisation of fit, between lasts or shoemakers. This, I think, is where the fine adjustments of insoles come into play. Note that you may need insoles at first and then find that you don't need them once the soles have worn in a bit.

The ultimate, of course, is to buy bespoke shoes and I suspect not every pair of these is an exact fit - although it should be. I am never going to be able to afford a pair of bespoke, so I stick to trying to find the pair of shoes that fits me best with the caveat that I will use insoles, if necessary. Just another anxiety...not all insoles are the same...:uhoh:

You’re right of course. I’ve only made the mistake once when I sized down by a half for a pair of Loake Temple loafers. I should have stuck with my proper size 11 but thought that without socks a 10.5 would be the way to go. They eventually stretched out and are now confortable but it took some time.

Anyway, I ordered the Chatsworth in my correct size 11. They got delivered a couple of days ago and I’ve just tried them on tonight. They fit like a glove. Very happy. The Jockey last appears to be quite similar to the Pennine last (I’ve got the Edwards and Wharfdales in my collection).

These new Chelsea boots are a nice edition to my ever growing collection of 1880’s. I haven’t bought another brand of shoe for 5 years now. Plenty of years of buying glued rubbish from ‘designer’ brands which fell apart after a few months. For example, I had 2 different types of Ted Baker shoes a few years back. One fell apart literally the first time I wore them. The second I still own but had to have both shoes reheeled within a month after the heel fell off.

For me the 1880 range is where it’s at. Up to 9 pairs now and my oldest (the Edwards) still look mint after plenty of wear.

I may move up one day to another brand but I really don’t see the point when Loakes premium range are so good.

Great service from Pediwear as usual for the Chatsworths.

Cheers.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Export grade is not being mentioned often, no idea why though. From my perspective the standard is good. Beside the Export grade I´m only in the possession of one other pair of Loake (Pimlico from 1880 line), but the former comes in significant higher quality in leather and overall more attention for details, i.e. tighter cut and nice upper. Open channel though. Tower is the only last and comes in an almond shape toe and offers a good fit. Limited number of models (cap toe, austerity brogue, one Derby and the model posted by me). Works well as staples for the office but limitations in options might be considering as slightly boring.

Believe I paid around euro 370-380, more or less in the same price range as Camina. Most likely not but if I ever buying a pair of Loake again I would definitely go for Export grade which is a decent option. But maybe a tricky price segment to compete in.

20171209_202553.jpg

20171209_170138.jpg

20171209_170233.jpg

20171209_171030.jpg

Faustye

Reaction score
Export grade is not being mentioned often, no idea why though. From my perspective the standard is good. Beside the Export grade I´m only in the possession of one other pair of Loake (Pimlico from 1880 line), but the former comes in significant higher quality in leather and overall more attention for details, i.e. tighter cut and nice upper. Open channel though. Tower is the only last and comes in an almond shape toe and offers a good fit. Limited number of models (cap toe, austerity brogue, one Derby and the model posted by me). Works well as staples for the office but limitations in options might be considering as slightly boring.

Believe I paid around euro 370-380, more or less in the same price range as Camina. Most likely not but if I ever buying a pair of Loake again I would definitely go for Export grade which is a decent option. But maybe a tricky price segment to compete in.

Hey NJE66,

Thanks for the overview on the export grade shoes. Your trinity’s certainly do look fantastic! I have a question, since they are in the same price range, how do they compare with your Carmina shoes?

Cheers!

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey NJE66,

Thanks for the overview on the export grade shoes. Your trinity’s certainly do look fantastic! I have a question, since they are in the same price range, how do they compare with your Carmina shoes?

Cheers!

Thanks,

Don’t believe a comparison is necessary, given the price range the standard is more than ok and motivates itself. Selective cutting, slightly beveled fiddleback etc. Personally I prefer Carminas construction but regarding quality the Export grade pair stands their ground just fine. I think the finish and upper is even better.

If they could come up with other models I just might get me another pair. But I guess the limited amount of produced models is keeping the manufacturing cost down and the shoes in very competitive pricing.

Faustye

Reaction score
Thanks,

Don’t believe a comparison is necessary, given the price range the standard is more than ok and motivates itself. Selective cutting, slightly beveled fiddleback etc. Personally I prefer Carminas construction but regarding quality the Export grade pair stands their ground just fine. I think the finish and upper is even better.

If they could come up with other models I just might get me another pair. But I guess the limited amount of produced models is keeping the manufacturing cost down and the shoes in very competitive pricing.

Mm looks like I’m picking two pairs up then. I’m visiting the uk and I need dress shoes when I’m back in north america as a fresh grad. So works out for me that they only have the basics. Plus, vat tax reduction makes it very competitive in terms of pricing!

Again, thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure if the export grades were worth the jump from the 1880s or allen edmonds but it definitely seems so!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my understanding Export Grade is only sold in store so for international shoppers they aren't readily available. Close enough to compete with AS and Cheaney so it'll be interesting if they can complete. The next jump puts them up to C&J in the UK camps.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
Took my Loake 1880 Dovedales for a walk today. Bought them about two months ago. Very happy with them overall. The break-in period was rather long and caused me some heavy-duty blisters while the leather around my ankles dug painfully into my skin and left some nasty sores. Now tat they’re broken in and soft and lovely they are a pleasure to wear. I’m not sure I own anything that gets complicated quite as often as these. Considering the price I’d say they are a great boot.

765EE406-C615-4B68-98CF-3708CB7C7C3D.jpeg
CCB4FB2D-79FE-48C6-B431-392530735E55.jpeg

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those in the US (or non-UK), have you had shoes resoled by Loake? The website primarily discusses UK customers but not those outside GB. Thanks.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those in the US (or non-UK), have you had shoes resoled by Loake? The website primarily discusses UK customers but not those outside GB. Thanks.

If outside of UK, I recommend a good local cobbler.

I recently sent a pair back to Church's for full recraft. With total costs, should have used local guy.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the search function on this forum is horrible, I'll probably ask a question that has been answered many times before but here it goes. 026 last compared to the Capital. Should you go fot the same size? My Aldwych size is 7,5 and I am eyeing a Taunton derby on the 026 last. Is the fit very different or am I safe to go for the same size? I have pretty wide feet with a rather high instep.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the 026 last in F width to be slightly shorter and lower in volume than the Capital, but not so much that I’d consider sizing up, unless you find your Aldwych’s are on the snug side.

josef1

Reaction score
Hi!

Looking to get some Saphir products. I'm currently using the Renovateur for conditioning then shining with a neutral polish.

Should I still get a colored cream or colored polish?

Any experience as to what color of Saphir goes best with the Buckingham Tan?
Looking at Light Brown but not quite sure since the tan on the loakes seem light, I DONT WANT to darken them.

Thanks for any advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads