• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is interesting how we can become a slave to shoe dogma. Now it is colder here, I pulled out my Burford boots. I had forgotten how comfortable they are and I wore them for two days running. Before I wore them on the second day, a voice in my head said: "not two days running, keep to the rotation!' And the sky didn't fall in and the Burford's didn't disintegrate. Great boots!

London Guy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone got any experience with the Jockey last? I’m looking at adding some black Chatsworth Chelsea boots to my Loake collection, however, none of my others are made on this last. It’s a G fitting which I have a few others in the same width but want to make sure I get the right fit. I’m normally bang on an 11 in most of my Loakes but with these being Chelsea boots I don’t want to go wrong and have them too loose/tight.

My other boots are Hyde, Wharfdale and a couple of Haydocks, all in an 11 and all fit well.

You think I should stick to my size or go up/down a half?

Pediwear have a good Black Friday discount so want to pull the trigger this weekend.

Cheers.

717DD768-EFEE-4FA5-8811-2C3DD8607BD3.jpeg

Sean_Lim_94

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone got any experience with the Jockey last? I’m looking at adding some black Chatsworth Chelsea boots to my Loake collection, however, none of my others are made on this last. It’s a G fitting which I have a few others in the same width but want to make sure I get the right fit. I’m normally bang on an 11 in most of my Loakes but with these being Chelsea boots I don’t want to go wrong and have them too loose/tight.

My other boots are Hyde, Wharfdale and a couple of Haydocks, all in an 11 and all fit well.

You think I should stick to my size or go up/down a half?

Pediwear have a good Black Friday discount so want to pull the trigger this weekend.

Cheers.

View attachment 880720
I stuck to my usual size but placed an insole (from clarks) inside to make it a little more snug. That being said, it depends on how thick your socks are as well. I usually wear the same size in all my Loakes whether G or F fitting.

I love the Jockey last and its slight chisel, definitely get it since its on sale, no regrets, my favourite Loake shoe/boot. What I love about the chatsworth in particular is also its small leg opening which is extremely rare for chelsea boots so if that is what you're looking for you definitely won't be disappointed.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stuck to my usual size but placed an insole (from clarks) inside to make it a little more snug. That being said, it depends on how thick your socks are as well. I usually wear the same size in all my Loakes whether G or F fitting.

I love the Jockey last and its slight chisel, definitely get it since its on sale, no regrets, my favourite Loake shoe/boot. What I love about the chatsworth in particular is also its small leg opening which is extremely rare for chelsea boots so if that is what you're looking for you definitely won't be disappointed.

There is no fool like an old fool. I realise that for the past couple of years, at least, I have taken the snobby position of being determined not to use inserts. I think my argument was something like this. If you buy the shoes in the right size, they should fit you. Also, I didn't want people to think my shoes came from Clarks! And then it dawned on me: who looks at the inside of your shoes, anyway?

I have spent a humble morning, experimenting with various shoes and inserts and made many of the shoes more comfortable. Thanks, Sean, for bringing this up. Yours, Munky.

Sean_Lim_94

Reaction score
There is no fool like an old fool. I realise that for the past couple of years, at least, I have taken the snobby position of being determined not to use inserts. I think my argument was something like this. If you buy the shoes in the right size, they should fit you. Also, I didn't want people to think my shoes came from Clarks! And then it dawned on me: who looks at the inside of your shoes, anyway?

I have spent a humble morning, experimenting with various shoes and inserts and made many of the shoes more comfortable. Thanks, Sean, for bringing this up. Yours, Munky.

Glad I was of some help! I do agree that some shoes which fit perfectly do no need insoles that's for sure. But since most shoes have a different last especially if you purchase from different shoemakers, an insole really helps make the shoe more comfortable especially in making the in-step area more snug :).

Anyway, people who know their shoes can tell from one look if your shoe was made by Clarks or Loake hahaha, regardless of what the insole says.

Have a good day!

London Guy

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip, Sean.
I’ve ordered in my usual size, 11. I always seem to forget the benefit of insoles when buying shoes. Always better to have a shoe slightly too big, that can be fixed with an insole than one that’s too tight and can’t be fixed at all (a mistake I’ve made a few times).

Looking forward to getting these, took advantage of Pediwears Black Friday sale. They’ll make a nice edition to my growing 1880 collection.

Cheers.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone owns the "Lawrence" suede chukkas and care to show some pictures?

Faustye

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am visiting uk before going back to north america. Loake shoes have looked much sleeker than the selection allen edmonds we have in the west. I am definitely looking to buy a pair or two. The shoes I am looking at are primarily the export grade. Does anyone hae experiences with them and how do they compare to other brands? (C&J, Carminas, Cheaneys, etc)

Also, are there ever sales on their export grade? I’ve tried them on and like them a lot. However, the budget is a bit over compared to the 1880s line, which were my original shoes of interest.

Thanks.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am visiting uk before going back to north america. Loake shoes have looked much sleeker than the selection allen edmonds we have in the west. I am definitely looking to buy a pair or two. The shoes I am looking at are primarily the export grade. Does anyone hae experiences with them and how do they compare to other brands? (C&J, Carminas, Cheaneys, etc)

Also, are there ever sales on their export grade? I’ve tried them on and like them a lot. However, the budget is a bit over compared to the 1880s line, which were my original shoes of interest.

Thanks.

I have a pair of Export Grades, and they're amazing. Easily up there with C&J/Cheaney bench grade. I own this pair here:

https://www.loakenordic.com/collect...grade-warwick-smoked-teak?variant=48589815892

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I've been enjoying my Loake Kempton's pictured below and wrote a Loake shoes review on my blog sharing my thoughts on them. I got them via Blue1899 and convinced them to give my email subscribers a 25% discount on all Loake shoes. A really solid chukka boot choice at the price point and pretty underrated if you ask me.

Loake has recently started to expand its presence in the in North America so you should see more retailers, both online and brick-and-mortar starting to carry them here in the States. I can see them becoming a very popular Allen Edmonds substitute with the way AE is going..

Faustye

Reaction score
I have a pair of Export Grades, and they're amazing. Easily up there with C&J/Cheaney bench grade. I own this pair here:

https://www.loakenordic.com/collect...grade-warwick-smoked-teak?variant=48589815892

That is great to hear! I’m intending to buy two shoes to rotate though probably only one if I opt for the export grade. Warminster in blackcherry is one and the grosvenor in deep mahogany is my other choice. I hope to wear them with my navy and charcoal suit. Do you mind sharing a photo of your warminsters? How does it wear?

Thanks!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying my Loake Kempton's pictured below and wrote a Loake shoes review on my blog sharing my thoughts on them. I got them via Blue1899 and convinced them to give my email subscribers a 25% discount on all Loake shoes. A really solid chukka boot choice at the price point and pretty underrated if you ask me.

Loake has recently started to expand its presence in the in North America so you should see more retailers, both online and brick-and-mortar starting to carry them here in the States. I can see them becoming a very popular Allen Edmonds substitute with the way AE is going..

Thanks, but how does Blue1899 not carry anything smaller than a UK8??? UK7 - 7.5 is amongst the most popular sizes.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
Thanks, but how does Blue1899 not carry anything smaller than a UK8??? UK7 - 7.5 is amongst the most popular sizes.

I'm not sure why they made that choice not stock those sizes, but you can email them and they can special order any size/any Loake model for you including the export grade!

The Classical

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone owns the "Lawrence" suede chukkas and care to show some pictures?

What colours are you looking at? I was also interested in these and had a look in a store nearby but decided that none of the colours were particularly nice. The brown was much lighter in person than online - I think that generally, as much as I like their shoes, Loake do a bad job representing real colours on their site. The north seconds eBay shop has more realistic images of some Lawrences: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loake-La...ew-Slight-Seconds-RRP-195-13514-/192168259222 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loake-La...ew-Slight-Seconds-RRP-195-13309-/192143298718 , for example

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Much appriciated @The Classical !

It was the Tobacco Suede i was looking at. I already own the Loake 1880 suede Kempton which i very much enjoy and was hoping to add another piece of their suede chukkas and was contemplating the Lawrence.

I am not looking for completely light brown tan color so i am really having a hard time deciding whether the Tobacco Lawrence is the right shoe for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads