Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. EUtroll

EUtroll Senior member

The quote above seems to suggest otherwise?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017 at 2:41 AM

2. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Well, that's interesting and disappointing to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017 at 3:39 AM

3. Wood Street

Wood Street New Member

Closing is a quite small part of the actual making of GYW shoes. Even though some closing are made in India, 99% of the rest are made in the factory in Kettering UK. So for me it doesn't bother, which of course is my personal opinion. All Loake shoes that are 100% made in India has that marked on the inside of the shoes. Loake also have a smaller closing room in the factory were some closing are still done. So some styles are actually closed in the UK factory. It's a tricky question but since basically all of the making and more skilled operations are done in the factory in UK, I think it's fair to call the product Made in England.

I'll try to make an other case up to compare for you... Some brands buy ready build heels which they source from other factories outside UK, these brands still mark the products made in UK. Loake for example make all heels in house piece by piece. As you have read in the Q&A Loake is honest about some closing are done outside UK. Some brands still don't mark origin in their shoes at all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017 at 12:59 PM

4. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Well-Known Member

Thanks Wood Street. Am I correct in presuming you are connected with the company? To be fair, I have never worked in the footwear industry but many relatives did way back in the past. I like it that you still go into Debenhams and buy a shoe that is made in Kettering. I found the blog and Q&A refreshing but I would suggest to you that most consumers understand 'Made in England' to include the uppers. People buy for variety of reasons. For most people great design and quality will be the only drivers. Some customers might welcome the investment in India. My clothes are all imported but I have become in interested in Northants shoes over the last couple of years specifically with an interest in retaining manufacturing jobs near home. Is there any way to know which lines are partially and which are entirely made in Kettering?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM

5. Wood Street

Wood Street New Member

I've worked in the shoe trade for many years and are well connected with many brands/factories =) To be clear I'm not a official spokesman/customer service for Loake, but I've have good insight.

As I've understood the closing room in the factory are used for many things. Everything from sample making/development to close a few special lines that require special machines unique to the factory. Or just help out the production when needed.. I know for example that style Brighton is still closed in Kettering since there is a unique machine there for making the apron.

I agree and would prefer uppers to be closed in England as well just for the sake of it, even though there is no quality difference at all. My point was that this is more common than people think. It's not necessarily uppers been closed in all cases but heel building or other operations may be sourced from outside UK on other brands mentioned before in this thread. There are factories that do all the making outside their country of origin, stamps the logo and box the shoes in their factories at home and call them Made in England or Spain or what it could be. Which is not the case with Loake.

6. Northants bloke

Thanks Wood Street. I know some companies such as John Whites claims local heritage for factories in Rushden that no longer exist. Cheaney always claim to make their welted boots and shoes entirely in the Desborough factory and I'm a bit of a fan. Do you know anything about the veracity of their claims? What about Barker, Grenson, Sanders?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017 at 3:39 AM

7. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Senior member

Grensons G2 range is Indian made where as their G1 and G0 ranges are made entirely in Rushden, Grenson even advertise on their website that these two ranges are made "from skin to box" in Their UK factory. http://www.grenson.com/uk/collections

8. Northants bloke

Thanks PParker. It seems unambiguously good news. A pity they don't have a factory shop anymore.

9. PParker ESQ

True, however if you can catch them at the right time they are not "tight" with their sale prices, both online and in-store.

10. Northants bloke

I took a look in House of Fraser the shiny new Rushden Lakes retail park this afternoon. It is not a 5 minute walk from Grensons factory and less than 2 miles from Alfred Sargent yet not a single pair of English shoes there.

11. PParker ESQ

"We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell"