LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. nnnnick

nnnnick Member

I have Eaton in brown suede and they are 6 years old. Not very comfortable at first but now they are comparable to my driving shoes in terms of comfort but a little bit stiffer anyway (I put a quiet thick Topy on the sole). I wear them half time with socks and half time sockless.

2. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior member

When we are discussing Loake shoes it is mostly about the 1880 range. This is Loakes 'high end' range. All of them are GY welted and made in England. About a year ago Loake introduced the 1880 Export Grade range which offers better quality at a slightly higher price. These are only available through a small number of retailers.

3. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

These are made by Barker

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Thank you @Schweino - of course! I just compared the CT shoes with my only Barkers (Northcote Monks) and the last, the finishing, the smell and all the little details even down to the shape of the free shoe horn / lift are very similar!

5. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior member

Sorry for the shameless bump of my own question, but thought if someone who had owned either had not seen my post. :blush:

6. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Great looking shoes! CT don't seem to do half-sizes so I've never had the chance to try them myself.

7. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Hydes in action with toe waterproofing. Much needed yesterday.

FullSizeRender.jpg

8. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Depends on your definition in regards of "top tier". There's a tier system used by the tanneries to grade leather but most 300€+ men's shoes (minus the fashion brands) use only top grade leathers. As I said, in my experience it's about how much of the skins are used, due to aesthetic aspects more than quality. In regards of Weinheimer, it is a good tannery. But no manufacturer uses only one tannery; it's a tough job to be a leather buyer and it's one of the most important ones at a factory.

9. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior member

@Leaves Thank you for this interesting information. My experience with the leather used by Loake has been quite variable (more than with other makers). But as you said this is probably because they try to use as much as possible of the skins. Sometimes I could tell the left shoe was made of a different part of the skin than the right shoe. Personally I have better experiences with their grain calf than with their regular calf. But the grain texture hides some imperfections better as well. It would be interesting to know if manufacturers also give a particular 'treatment' to the leather (other than burnishing). I know this is the case for crust leather, but not so for other leather?

10. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

When you say "variable experience" are you talking about aesthetics or quality after long term wear?

Grain, as you point out, usually won't show small aesthetic imperfections like veining, discolouration, etc. So I think most manufacturers are very happy that there seems to be a trend for grain.:)

11. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Senior member

The €300 "watershed" in terms of leather quality seems fairly spot on. Like so many, my experience with "proper" shoes began at Loake's doorstep and I was happy with their 1880 range for a number of years. However, once I left Loake behind and started climbing higher the increase in leather quality was unmistakable.

I retain a large soft spot for Loake though and feel they produce excellent shoes at their price point and with the new Export range I'll no doubt re-visit the brand again fairly soon.

12. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior member

I totally agree, Loake is a good entry level to get one hooked on high quality shoes. Some brands manage to stay just under the 300 euro with decent leather quality eg septieme largeur, yanko, andres sendra etc. Export range is an interesting evolution indeed.

I'll post some pictures to show what I mean by 'variable' leather quality on Loake shoes when I am back home.

13. Mrlol

Mrlol Senior member

What is the difference between claridge and capital last?