• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi suitforcourt

There is a pair of Loake Ayr size 8 in G width currently on ebay with only a "little wear" which may be of interest to you?, sorry can't help with your fit question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOAKE-AYR...639537?hash=item33d33294b1:g:ljkAAOSwfJJZZeFO

Carl.

Haha! That's why I was messaging the group in the first place! Wanted to see if these would fit me prior to making an offer. I've bought one too many pairs of shoes online where they ultimately didn't fit.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
Haha! That's why I was messaging the group in the first place! Wanted to see if these would fit me prior to making an offer. I've bought one too many pairs of shoes online where they ultimately didn't fit.

Thanks again!

I cannot state with any great certainty on the 026 G last but my thoughts are as follows. The 026 F fit is fractionally more spacious than say the Capital or Claridge last, and whilst it is considered true to size I would say that it is on the roomier side of “standard”, given this is the G fit version then it will be perhaps just a touch roomier than a standard G. The general difference between an F and G fit is around 0.6cm but you have to bear in mind that this is a circumference measurement and not just one side to the other, so whether there would be more width to depth is hard to say.

The Bradford G is also a generous G, more in line with a GX fit.

It’s likely that the Ayr would be nearer to the Bradford than a standard G but could be just a touch tighter.

My evaluation is a low to moderate risk.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot state with any great certainty on the 026 G last but my thoughts are as follows. The 026 F fit is fractionally more spacious than say the Capital or Claridge last, and whilst it is considered true to size I would say that it is on the roomier side of “standard”, given this is the G fit version then it will be perhaps just a touch roomier than a standard G. The general difference between an F and G fit is around 0.6cm but you have to bear in mind that this is a circumference measurement and not just one side to the other, so whether there would be more width to depth is hard to say.

The Bradford G is also a generous G, more in line with a GX fit.

It’s likely that the Ayr would be nearer to the Bradford than a standard G but could be just a touch tighter.

My evaluation is a low to moderate risk.

I appreciate your precise, yet qualified answer. It's hard for me to make purchases online, especially where this shoe is discontinued. Otherwise, I walk into the local store that sells Loake, and try it on first. The price is quite good on eBay. But I'll let this one pass. I'd likely have to go to 8.5G from your review.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I find that the SF community is a place I can rely on for both biased, and non-biased yet accurate information.

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
I appreciate your precise, yet qualified answer. It's hard for me to make purchases online, especially where this shoe is discontinued. Otherwise, I walk into the local store that sells Loake, and try it on first. The price is quite good on eBay. But I'll let this one pass. I'd likely have to go to 8.5G from your review.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I find that the SF community is a place I can rely on for both biased, and non-biased yet accurate information.

Anytime :cheers:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my nine year old Loake Kews back from a factory refurb and I am very pleased with the standard of workmanship, especially the attempts at covering a few marks on the uppers. Cost - £80:

Kew re-furb 07 2017.jpg

Kew 07 2017.jpg

Kew sole 07 2017.jpg

They are slightly darker now. This is a fairly accurate 'before' pic:

Kew Bresc RC_.jpg

Last edited:

Meyboom

Reaction score
We have to define what "leather quality" is here. High end makers and lower tier makers use the same tanneries most of the time but the high end makers only use the very best pieces of a skin while a makers like Santos, Carmina, Loake, etc will not be as "picky" when clicking (cutting the leather). It does not mean the leather in itself is inferior in quality, it just doesn't always look as good.

@Leaves , of course I agree in a way that makers are actually using the same type of leather from the same tannery. But to my knowledge some lower tier makers buy lower grade leather (from the same tannery) than top tier makers. And some tanneries (eg Weinheimer) are only used by high end makers because of their cost. Or is this not correct ?

Odradek

Reaction score
Just got my nine year old Loake Kews back from a factory refurb and I am very pleased with the standard of workmanship, especially the attempts at covering a few marks on the uppers. Cost - £80:

I'm going to have to do that soon with my Herring chukka boots, (made by Loake).
Had thought the cost was £65, but I guess that was a few years ago.
Does it include postage?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still good value at £80, I think. I sent mine back via a local Loake stockist, which takes the 'hard work' out of it. It took around four weeks from drop off to collecting the repaired shoes.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Hi guys, i could use your help as i am considering adding either Loake Perth or Gable to my rotation.

Do any of you own either? In that case would you mind showing a fit picture, and a small review of them would be fantastic

Cheers

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience of Eaton loafers? Are they comfortable? Can you wear them without socks? Etc. Yours, Munky

hellomoto

Reaction score
Hi – wanted to get some advice here. So I picked up the Heston’s and I’ve noticed the stitching is very poor in comparison to my other Loakes I have. Additionally, I’ve spotted streaking with the colour when I first got these. I’ve applied some renomat and conditioned them which has helped but hasn’t fixed it completely. Will post some photos but is there anything I can? Was thinking of emailing Loake directly even though I bought them from a store in London and I’ve worn them already. Just a bit disappointed as they were pricey and the finish isn't particularly great.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Hi – wanted to get some advice here. So I picked up the Heston’s and I’ve noticed the stitching is very poor in comparison to my other Loakes I have. Additionally, I’ve spotted streaking with the colour when I first got these. I’ve applied some renomat and conditioned them which has helped but hasn’t fixed it completely. Will post some photos but is there anything I can? Was thinking of emailing Loake directly even though I bought them from a store in London and I’ve worn them already. Just a bit disappointed as they were pricey and the finish isn't particularly great.

I am usually quite tolerant to small imperfections on Loake shoes since they are not the most expensive shoes. But the stitching on your pair looks very sloppy indeed. Especially the finishing where the welt stops on the inner side of the left shoe looks problematic to me. I would reach out to Loake because this should not have passed QC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads