LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior member

Labour costs are one thing, but the cost of the raw material, leather in this case, is another. One has to admit that the leather quality of the more expensive brands is on another level. This will not be this apparent in say the first six months, but it is just the way it develops over the years. Same goes for the soles, insoles, leatherboard heels etc. But this does not mean that Loakes aren't good shoes for their price, it is just about how much wants to pay for (even) better quality. As long as one stays with the 'real' shoe brands a higher price will mean better quality. Personally I think the quality of Vass and Enzo Bonafe are amazing, and I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' to say EG, JLP, GG etc... but of course this is something one has to decide for himself

2. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

We have to define what "leather quality" is here. High end makers and lower tier makers use the same tanneries most of the time but the high end makers only use the very best pieces of a skin while a makers like Santos, Carmina, Loake, etc will not be as "picky" when clicking (cutting the leather). It does not mean the leather in itself is inferior in quality, it just doesn't always look as good.

3. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Hi,

Fan of the Loake 1880 range. Currently have the Heston in black and Mahogany (not brown), Ledbury black and brown, Aldwych and the Funnelweb. Haven't worn the Aldwych yet as I'm not sure about the last (Capital) as I prefer the Claridge. Does anyone know the exact difference as I'm convinced the heel support is wider on the Capital.

I treat my Ledbury Brown with Saphir medium brown and recently bought the Mahogany for the Hestons but I’m finding the Polish a bit dark (more red). Is this normal?

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 36 14.jpg

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 34 32.jpg

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 32 36.jpg

4. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Well-Known Member

@hellomoto Awesome setup!

What is the middle brown one? It looks good. Also what brand is that furniture? - it looks very smart as well :)

5. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

Hi hellomoto

This Loake blog may be of some assistance regarding the Capital and Claridge differences

http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/shoe-lasts-and-styles-part-1/

Regards

Carl

6. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Great thanks.

That's the Ledbury in brown. They do seem lighter than the website photo but Saphir medium brown seems to match it well. As for the furniture, it was a gift from my girlfriend and she won't tell me where it's from.

7. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Comparison of Loake Ledbury and Heston. Also, a bit disappointed with the finish on the Heston. Something I should be worried about?

DSC_0334.JPG

DSC_0339.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0342.JPG

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

9. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

Does anyone own the Loake Ayr in G width?

I have a pair of Crockett Jones Bradford 8G which is a perfect fit. But CJ Bedford 8G is too small.

Wondering if Ayr 8G would fit same as CJ Bradford 8G.

I wear orthotics hence the wider fit. Any feedback would be great. I tried googling 026 last and Ayr, but the model has been discontinued.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 4:35 AM

10. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

Hi suitforcourt

There is a pair of Loake Ayr size 8 in G width currently on ebay with only a "little wear" which may be of interest to you?, sorry can't help with your fit question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOAKE-AYR...639537?hash=item33d33294b1:g:ljkAAOSwfJJZZeFO

Carl.

11. suitforcourt

Haha! That's why I was messaging the group in the first place! Wanted to see if these would fit me prior to making an offer. I've bought one too many pairs of shoes online where they ultimately didn't fit.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 6:31 AM

12. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Senior member

I cannot state with any great certainty on the 026 G last but my thoughts are as follows. The 026 F fit is fractionally more spacious than say the Capital or Claridge last, and whilst it is considered true to size I would say that it is on the roomier side of “standard”, given this is the G fit version then it will be perhaps just a touch roomier than a standard G. The general difference between an F and G fit is around 0.6cm but you have to bear in mind that this is a circumference measurement and not just one side to the other, so whether there would be more width to depth is hard to say.

The Bradford G is also a generous G, more in line with a GX fit.

It’s likely that the Ayr would be nearer to the Bradford than a standard G but could be just a touch tighter.

My evaluation is a low to moderate risk.

13. suitforcourt

I appreciate your precise, yet qualified answer. It's hard for me to make purchases online, especially where this shoe is discontinued. Otherwise, I walk into the local store that sells Loake, and try it on first. The price is quite good on eBay. But I'll let this one pass. I'd likely have to go to 8.5G from your review.

I really do appreciate your feedback. I find that the SF community is a place I can rely on for both biased, and non-biased yet accurate information.

14. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Senior member

Anytime :cheers:

15. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Just got my nine year old Loake Kews back from a factory refurb and I am very pleased with the standard of workmanship, especially the attempts at covering a few marks on the uppers. Cost - £80:

Kew re-furb 07 2017.jpg

Kew 07 2017.jpg

Kew sole 07 2017.jpg