LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Hehehe I was going to suggest the same thing as @othertravel :D

2. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Exact same thought here, why no closed channel on these, would have made all the difference. That said they look very nice indeed.

On another note I finally managed to take off my new cognac Carminas and pop these on this evening :)

I may have gone a little mad with the toes ... ESCF4134.jpg when my new mirror shine saphir arrives I expect to be able to read in the dark by these toecaps :)

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Hehehe. :slayer:

Nice boots C!

4. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Be careful not to shine too heavily. While it looks good with a mirror shine, I have been taught by people who know a lot more about shoe maintenance than I, that it closes up the pores and might actually lead to damaging the leather. Like everything in life - do it with moderation (boring, I know).

5. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

I've never really understood the fascination with closed channels. They certainly do look good, but the day I receive a pair of shoes is the first and last day I spend any time admiring the sole. I'm by no means opposed to them, but closed or open stitching has never once figured into my purchasing deliberations.

6. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

I can see how sealing it might do that which is what you are doing with the mirror shine yes. I'll bear your advice in mind, thanks! :)

7. Leaves

I can certainly understand this from a practical point of view, as the closed channel adds a cost/higher price to the product without a lot (or any) advantages except the aesthetic. I have one manufacturer that claims using a closed channel is actually a disadvantage as they have to use a different type of sole for closed channel soles and this leather is more porous and less resistant to wear. I have not made any such observations myself but I have a large rotation and basically never wear through a sole. But I'm going to ask the cobbler next door what his opinion is.

8. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member

Like @muddy250, I love very well glazed shoes. And, as @Leaves confirmed, I had read somewhere that too much glazing was not so good.

I use Saphir Reno'Mat something like twice a year to completely strip off the glazing. And, it seems that so far so good as I have not noticed any adverse effect to glazing my shoes.

But @Leaves, would you know if this is a good regimen for those of us who are glazing crazy? Is this enough to avoid the damages to the leather that you mention?

(As a side note, I'm another person who'd love to see Skoaktiebolaget carry Loake's high end shoes)

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 10:57 PM
  9. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

I forgot to say that so am I. Loake's 1880 line doesn't really cut it for me these days, but I'd be very interested in picking up a pair from their Export line.

10. Leaves

Well, I'm not an expert, I can only share my thoughts on shoe maintenance; don't overdo it. Use a mild product like BICK4 and then if you want to get a high shine, focus on the toe and heel counter only. There are many other good products of course, but fall back on BICK4 90% of the time for maintenance.

11. cypi2

cypi2 Senior member

Thank you much for sharing @Leaves !