1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

FYI. Dark brown wax on the toe.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. vim147

vim147 Member

Capital Last - Aldwych, Buckingham.
    Duke Last - Rothschild, Cornwall

Can someone tell me how these fit. I have slim feet so a high instep would just be too chunky on me. The only pair of Loakes i own are the Chesters on the 024 F in a UK7.5 which fit beautifully for the style that they are although i do put in a gel sole insert for comfort.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. jfo2010

jfo2010 Active Member

The Duke last is slimmer than the Capital. I take 8.5F for the Capital and 9E for the Duke. The Duke has a more pointed toe and less taper from mid foot to the toe. I think the instep is about the same for the sizes I mentioned. No experience with the 024 last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. vim147

vim147 Member

How much foot space allowance do you have in the shoe, like from toe to end of shoe ?

5. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I have both Chesters and Buckinghams. The Chesters are much broader than the Buckinghams. The former have a round toe and the latter have a very slightly pointy toes.. Oddly enough, I have to take a size 9 in Chesters and an 8.5 in Buckinghams. I don't know why as this seems counterintuitive. I think that some of the narrowing of the toe is cosmetic. The shoes fit well over the toes.

Both are very comfortable, but in different ways. The Chesters are heavier shoes that go well with jeans and chinos and so on. The Buckinghams fit really well around the arch of (my) feet and they fit very well at the heel, too. These things are subjective, but I think that the Buckinghams are much more stylish than the Chesters, although I like them both. If I had to choose one pair of my shoes that are the most comfortable, I would probably say my tan Buckinghams...although, on the other hand...

No blistering insights, here, but perhaps these comments may help a bit. Fraternally Yours, Munky.

6. vim147

vim147 Member

Anyone know where i can buy seconds from based in UK. Ive seen some ebay sellers selling £230 stock for £150. Do loake have a factory shop direct i can get them from and cut out the middle man ?

7. inno

inno Well-Known Member

I know two sellers offhand: 'Loake Factory Outlet' and 'Loake Seconds By North Shoes'. Both on ebay UK. Don't have the links, sorry; on my phone.

Edit: they may be the ones you've seen already. No idea about a physical factory outlet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

So, I bought a pair of Export Grade 1880's (Warminster) from their shop in London.

Amazing quality for the price. Very clean lines and tighter construction.

They're including free brass-knob shoes trees.

Will post pics.

2 people like this.
  9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I think that this info by Pediwear may help you.

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/60.php

2 people like this.
  10. vim147

vim147 Member

Does the length of the outsole increase when you go up in width fitting for a size or does it stay the same.?

11. othertravel

Hey guys,

Quick pics of my Export Grade Shoes and a quick review:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the Warwich model and I picked them up from the Loake store in central London (close to New & Lingwood).

The quality is outstanding.

1. Beautiful burnishing throughout the upper, in a rich light espresso colour.

2. The finishing is much better than Loake 1880 mainline. Up to par with C&J benchgrade or Cheaney in my opinion.

3. Very nice bevelled waist.

4. Medium instep, so should work with most feet. I have a low instep, and wear 7.5UK in the Capital last and 8UK in the Duke last. I wear 7.5UK in the export grade last.

5. The last is based on the Swing Last, as you can see by the swoop of the shoe.

6. The value is outstanding. For 325 pounds (VAT included). they included felt shoe bags, a shoe horn, and Loake branded shoes trees with a brass ring for easy use.

7. Since I was a tourist, they deducted VAT, which makes the value even better. Came out to 295 after deduction.

I definitely want to buy more of these shoes, and I hope they expand this line to include wholecuts, chelseas and monks.

Verdict: for a shoe that's cheaper than C&J benchgrade, is of similar quality, and includes high-quality shoe trees, the value is a no brainer. I took the shoes to a cobbler in London for metal toe taps, and even he was impressed by the quality.

Buy now!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    5 people like this.
  12. Betelgeuse

@othertravel those look fantastic! Looking forward for some more pics! :slayer:

13. othertravel

Thanks! I'll take more close up pics later.

They also come with flat wax laces, which is a nice improvement. I think you can also find them for 295 inclusive of VAT if you skip the shoe trees.

1 person likes this.
  14. Betelgeuse

Yeah, the flat shoe laces look very very good!

15. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Beautiful shoes, Other! I went to my local shop that sells Loake's and compared an Export Grade shoe with a regular 1880. The difference in quality was quickly established. Lovely shoes and I hope you enjoy them. Yours, as always, Munky.

16. muddy250

muddy250 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to share this, finally got the toe polishing sorted properly.
    Used a different technique this time, layer of wax on over a few drops of water till it begins to drag the cloth. Then much water and a very little wax over that till it becomes smooth and shiny. Move onto the other boot and repeat, carry on until all the grain of the leather is filled with wax.
    In the flesh these really do look like glass. I probably won't go to this extreme again but it's nice to have worked out exactly how to do it if I want to.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Those boots look incredible! Lovely boots, to start with and then a beautiful shine to the toe caps. Congratulations, muddy! Yours truly, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  18. muddy250

muddy250 Well-Known Member

Thanks Munky, these are 3 years old now, very happy with them.
    Got some Barkers this morning! Dropping off a lot of surplus clothing and various garage stuff at the local hospice shop and this pair of brown Alberts in great nick and my size were there at £20. Never bought anything secondhand like that but they look and fit well and will be perfect in the office and for general use. They're hi shine leather so never need polish which is handy at work!

19. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

That's something I have always hoped would happen to me! I drop stuff off at the charity shop and have a quick look at their shoe rack. So far, I've had no luck. However, we live in hope! I expect a pair of Lobb's are waiting for me, as I write...Regards, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  20. Betelgeuse

Nice deal, muddy! The best deal I have crossed is my Loake Gladstone at $80 USD.

1 person likes this.