LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Bought Loake's new lasted shoe trees... These ones (pic from Loake):
    [​IMG]
    They are unvarnished (i think its lime wood, its definitely not cedar although the website says they are) and rather sleek. I'm not sure what last it is based on, but it is too sleek for my 1880 Edward brogue (Pennine last) and doesn't fill the shoes. Quite disappointed about that.

Loake also enclosed a complimentary shoe horn. :)

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

no offence. But in my opinion unless your shoes are mto/special order , EG/Lobbs not worth spending money on lasted shoe trees.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

I think they are not lasted shoe trees, just generic ones.

4. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

They used to have a split toe version, that looked even more generic....

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

Loake 1880 Strand Burgundy Burnished Review

STYLE

Loake Strand is a semi brogue Adelaide. Adelaide brogues are a variant of oxfords with broguing in a "U" shape around the laces and it does not intersect any other seams on the vamp, also called an "U Throat" oxford.

Normally, an oxford shoe has two separate pieces of leather for the vamp and the quarter that are sewed together. An Adelaide brogue has just one piece of leather for the vamp with no quarters, like a whole cut but with a separate piece for the facing.

The burgundy colour is one of the most versatile colours, can be worn in both office and weekend occasions.

[​IMG]

THE LAST & FIT

The Strand is on the Capital last, Loake's most straightforward last, designed to fit standard average feet, true to size. I purchased my normal UK 6.5F which had the right length, sufficient width, comfortable toe box and a snug heel. The Capital F last is similar to Alfred Sargent 724 F last, Tricker's 4537 fitting 5 last, which I also wear in UK 6.5. For reference, I wear a US 7 E in Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Kenilworth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WORKMANSHIP

The brogueing on the uppers is neat, same goes for the inside lining. The medallion holes are cleanly punched. The burnishing of the Loake is average, mainly in there are some very dark burnished patches where the leathers overlap, and where there is an uneven surface/indent on the leather upper, there are lighter stripes, which I have trouble to cover with polish.

Goodwear welt is stitched aloft, standard for shoes at the 200 pound price point. The soles have nice patterned grooves, which my cobbler applied topy to. There is a slight imbalance between the sole and heel, when the heel stands flat on the ground, there is a small gap between the sole and ground, again, quite common in shoes at this price range with pre-made leather heel blocks.

The heels of my pair is quite low, less than 2.5 cm/1 inch tall on a flat sole, lower than the Aldwych; while the higher grade shoes from Gaziano Girling and Alfred Sargent have fiddle waist with a smaller but taller heel at close to 3cm/1.2 inch. In my opinion, a narrow waist with a small tall heel is more pleasing to the eye and more elegant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LEATHER

Both leather uppers and interiors are rather supple, no excess creasing from wearing and very comfortable from the first wearing. There are suede inside heel counters to help with heel slippage, which is a nice touch. The upper is not very porous, thus relatively smooth, makes polishing very easy and produces very good shine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONCLUSION

Considering its relatively low price of 200 pounds, and been Loake's premiere line, it offers a pair of good quality goodyear welted shoes at a very affordable price, especially for people that doesn't live in UK or the US. Comparing to the my other higher grade English made shoes, there are differences when taking a really close look and feel the leather by hand, but then they do cost around twice as much as the Loakes.

Comparing to the black Aldwych I reviewed, I am not as happy on the finishing of the burgundy Strand, but that comes down to the colour choice, black is very hard wearing and hides pretty much any imperfections.

The Loake 1880s, from my experience, are still one of the best goodyear welt shoes in terms of fit, style, leather and workmanship in the sub 200 pound price point.

6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Nice review, thanks.

I like burgundy colour shoes, which are still a surprisingly rare sight here in England.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Beautiful shoes, wurger.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wurger, great review, very detailed.[​IMG]

I may never purchase a pair of Loakes, but I now have a better idea as to why that may be the case.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, by having shoes ranging from GG to Loake, the difference between the first doubling of the price is noticeable, but not the 2nd doubling of price...

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes, but would you recommend these over Allen Edmonds?

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

I find the quality similar, it's mainly if you like the design of European shoes, or the American ones. Generally speaking, I like European more, so Loake for me.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Me too.

Thanks again for that fabulously detailed review.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

14. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

I'm looking for a staple cap toe oxford in dark brown in the 3-400 range and Loake seems to one of, if not the best option.

I have medium width feet but pretty skinny ankles. Is there anything I should know about Loake sizing given this? The skinny ankles is a constant problem with shoes in general for me.

Also, re: general sizing, I typically wear a US 9, but 8.5 in dress shoes. What size would be appropriate for Loake? Looking at the Aldwych.

Thanks

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

If you are a US 8.5 in dress shoes, what brands do you wear?

most likely a UK 8 for Aldwych.