1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Philby

Philby Member

No, they were new. I have been using shoe trees every other night or so.

1880, which is why I was a bit confused.

2. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

If Im not mistaken your boots are the Fisher and they do use vegetable tanned leather which is more supple than the standard calf they use, this does provide a more “distressed” aesthetic. However I would surmise that it is more to do with the fit not being quite right rather than the boots themselves. The creases are deep in the same position and in a straight line. Creases like that can only form if there is space in the shoe to allow room for the leather to bend, so probably a little on the large side or roomy in the toebox.

IMO nothing wrong with them but sadly you're not going to be able to do much about their appearance.

3. Philby

Philby Member

Your assertion is correct. Hm, so would an insole reduce the space in the toebox, or is this a bad idea considering the leather sole the boot have (above the rubber sole, that is)? The problem I have is that my little toe tends to get squashed, even in the Fisher, so I need a toebox in fact slightly too large in everything else, i.e. length and width for the actual foot. I would greatly appreciate suggestions on both what to do with these Loakes and future boots. I have tried on quite a few, but never found a last actually catering to my needs.

4. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

RTW shoes are always going to be a matter of compromise especially if your feet run against what would be considered the "norm" (if there is such a thing!). Of course you can try and adapt the shoes which is why choosing a larger shoe is better than one that's a little too snug.
    An insole will fill the shoe and raise the position of your foot dependent on thickness, this may work but it also may counter act the reason you bought the shoes large in the first place. The insoles extend the full length of the shoe which may cause your toe to be squashed again. There is no harm in trying though!
    The other option you could try is some foam tape, if you can manage to position and stick it underneath the vamp and along the tongue then this will fill the space between the top of your foot and vamp but without filling other areas of the shoe.

I hope this helps.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Hey guys!

I'm considering buying my first pair of Loake's. They have a nice discount. Just a question about sizing. I wear 9.5 UK in Carmina Rain last, 9.5 UK in Carmina Inca and 10 D US in Red Wing Beckman (last 8) which size should I pick?

6. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Will depend on the style and last.

I also wear a 9.5 in Rain and took the same size in a pair of Loake tassel loafers.

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I wear
    I wear my Aldwych (Capital last) in 7 F and it fits perfect, although roomy in the ball. I wear 8 D in US shoes. 9.5 might be right for you, but it could be too big. Tough to know without trying.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks! According to the site, it's the Gladstone model, Loake Swing Last, G width.

I tried the 9 UK and the 9.5 UK I didn't felt a lot of difference since it's a G width. But the 9.5 UK it's not available in the color I want. So I just wanted to double check with the forum.

9. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The Carmina Rain last tends to fit true to size, so we might assume you are a UK 9.5F, and indeed 9.5F would be the usual recommendation for somebody taking a size 10 D US. The Swing last is a G fit and most of our customers need to drop half a size - so it would seem very fortunate that there is a size 9 in the Gladstone available since this is what we would have advised would be most likely to fit you. I am surprised you didn't notice much difference when trying them on. I suspect you would have found the 9.5 to be too wide if you had worn them for longer.

Mike

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks Mike. I guess you're right, if I had it on longer I would feel it wider. I guess I will buy them. For $130 USD I think it's a good deal.

11. Mrlol

Mrlol Senior member

Any1 got picture showing the difference between tower and capital f last? Tower is the new last they made with the 1880 export grade

12. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

Thought I'd update you guys on this post. Loake agreed the leather was substandard and offered to replace the boots. I wasn't 100% sold on the Anglesey so I asked if I could choose something else. I ended up going with the Cadogan:

[​IMG]

They were supposed to be delivered on the 15th of December but unfortunately UPS screwed up - I only received them last Friday. Kudos to Loake for the excellent customer service, though. They even reimbursed me the €31 I paid to post the boots back to the UK.

4 people like this.
  13. Bower

Bower Senior member

Carmina Rain last seems pretty true to size to me, I would get the same in the Loakes.

14. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

I own Loake Chester, Downing and Otterburn.
    I'm considering the Simon, to replace my Otterburn but I'm a little hesitant about the step down to the lower range.
    Should I be?

15. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Does anyone have a pair of Loake Dovedale boots? I managed to find some with a great discount, but I guess the model has been discontinued as I can't see many for sale.

[​IMG]

16. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Thought I'd update you guys on this post. Loake agreed the leather was substandard and offered to replace the boots. I wasn't 100% sold on the Anglesey so I asked if I could choose something else. I ended up going with the Cadogan:

They were supposed to be delivered on the 15th of December but unfortunately UPS screwed up - I only received them last Friday. Kudos to Loake for the excellent customer service, though. They even reimbursed me the €31 I paid to post the boots back to the UK. 
    [/quote]

Congrats, is nice to hear that Loake is a trusty brand and have reimbursed the money spend in the post. I purchased a pair of Anglesey from Herrings, they will be a nice companion to my Alden Indy boot. Herring's service as always excellent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

They look like Herrings Keswick with eyelets, if so, is a wonderful boot. I own a pair in grain chesnut (is ready to get some dubbin, is been raining down here) and in waxy brown (brand new), for me is one of the best boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

19. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Very good news

1 person likes this.
  20. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Has anybody bought the export grade shoes? How much are they?