1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

Hmm, that is a good idea. I got rid of the box and they are not exactly in original condition, so I'm skeptical that they'll do anything about it. But I will do it nevertheless. Thanks for the advice.

2. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Awesome boots. I have been gearing up for a purchase myself. How is sizing compared to other Loake lasts? I'm a UK7 in Loake 1880, which I believe are 'F' Fitting and assuming I would be a UK 7 in the Mitchum's.

1 person likes this.
  3. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

These are 9F in Loake's "Legend" last. Their elongated in the toes and because it's a chelsea boot I really wanted a good fit so I sized down from my typcal UK shoe.

For my Herring suede loafers (which are essentially Loake) I wear a 9.5F in their "Loafer" last.

1 person likes this.
  4. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Hope it works out and you're welcome.

1 person likes this.
  5. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Hello Muddy

Can you tell from which retailer you bought them from? And also can you make a closer picture? I was thinking to reply suggesting using bees wax o Crema Alpina or even some dubbin with the idea of using something intended to soften the leather. I am ready to buy a similar pair but your comments are making me rethink it.

Best

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  6. muddy250

muddy250 Senior member

Hi
    Michael81 bought the boots, I was just replying to him.

7. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

I have already applied several coats of Saphir Renovateur. It might just be that I got unlucky, but I'd suggest holding off on that purchase for a while. I've contacted Loake so will keep you posted as to the outcome.

8. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Why were you applying Reno before your first wear?

9. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

To soften the leather.

10. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

I would suspect the calf leather on the Gable is of lower quality than the calf leather of the Downing. Hence it is part of the Shoemaker line.

11. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to use Renovateur on new shoes and it isn't really designed as solely a leather softener, although I can't be sure because the pictures are not very clear the cracks are possibly just built up renovateur in the grain, this happens when you apply too much product. Leave the cream alone and just try brushing briskly for a few mins, if the cracks disappear then youll know, however they might reappear until the reno is fully out of the leather.

Just wax them if you must clean them at all and use sparingly.

If you still have issues then contact your retailer and/or Loake, if the boots are faulty then it doesn't matter if they're worn.

1 person likes this.
  12. bandman

bandman Member

That could be it. Without having both pairs I guess it would be difficult to make the comparison. I am tempted to get a pair of the Downing, don't really need them but tempted at having another pair of black shoes/boots to have to wear.

13. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep it in mind. I realise Renovareur is not specifically a leather softener. I've had good results with it on my Meermin country calf bluchers, which were also very stiff out of the box. The leather absorbed it perfectly without any negative side-effects in that case.

What wax do you recommend?

14. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

I personally use saphir pate, but any reputable wax would suffice.

15. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I know somebody else has partially answered this already but: 1880 range uses a better grade of leather and also have stricter tolerance levels so the overall quality is better in the 1880 range. That’s about it.

16. bandman

bandman Member

Thank you for the suggestions. Thinking about it, even though the leather quality etc of the 1880 Downings would be better from what has been indicated, I have decided that I would go for the Gables, the reason being is that I much prefer rubber-soled shoes which is would be the deciding factor.

Thanks.

17. jfo2010

jfo2010 Active Member

Anyone know how the loafer last compares to the Capital? Looking at getting the Lincoln tassel loafer but can't decide whether to get 8.5 or 9. I'm 8.5F on the Capital and they are a bit tight in width for the first few wears but fine after that. I've read a few posts about needing to size up for the Eaton on the 019 but have seen anything about the loafer last sizing. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. goatandtricycle

goatandtricycle Well-Known Member

Pulled the trigger on Chester Tan and Prestbury Mahogony Grain today, both rubber sole. I'm refusing to ever buy a leather sole again. Whether I manage to stick to this who knows!
    My Otterburns are pretty worn now and I'm unsure if a factory service will bring them truly back to life.
    The Prestbury looks different colours in many pictures online. I'm hoping is more tan than brown but time will tell!!

1 person likes this.
  19. The Heat

The Heat Active Member

Disregard, question answered

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  20. Fiennes

Fiennes Member

Michael81, did Loake get back to you about the cracking?

Which colour have you used to polish your boots? Yours do seem more oxblood than brown. Mine being the other way round. I'm unsure what to apply to mine. I wouldn't want them to get darker. What would you suggest?