1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

Thank you very much. My size is 10UK so it is also difficult to find one in that exact size. Only one was available from ebay at 144 pounds but it was second.

2. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

It wasn't popular enough to warrant the continuation of it's manufacture. All down to numbers really which is why the "sale" mentality can be a little counterproductive in terms of obtaining what you want.

3. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Pimlicos are now also available in a mich lighter shade. Lighter than the Kemptons.

4. Lapsed

Lapsed New Member

Hi all, Does anyone know what colour Saphir shoe creme and wax I should buy to polish a pair of tan Loake Edwards and cover over the scuffs? Would appreciate any advice...

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Saphir light brown - in both the cream and wax - is the nearest Saphir product to tan. I have sometimes used the cream on my tan Loake's. I don't use wax. Don't forget: use very little and don't use it very often.

Note that Loake sell their own tan cream and wax They are, obviously, an exact match with the colour of their shoes. I would certainly recommend them and you can buy them on Amazon either on their own or as a 'dual pack' - one of each, cream and wax.

Best wishes, Munky.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Lapsed

Lapsed New Member

Thanks very much!

7. g3org3y

g3org3y Member

A couple of Loake chukkas in my daily wear rotation. Used both for work and casual.

Berry
    [​IMG]

Tan
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. PParker ESQ

What I would say additional to this is that any product containing high concentrations of colour pigmentation such as coloured saphir creams (even of an exact colour match) will expedite darkening of the leather. Whilst any wax product will eventually darken the colour of a shoe due to it penetrating the leather through pore absorption, the best way to keep the original colour for as long as possible would be to use neutrals/colourless polishes. Its worth pointing out that Tan leather darkens easily with it being such a light hue but by using neutral as opposed to coloured and as Munky rightly says using very sparingly, it will give you the best chance of keeping that colour for the longest possible time.

The downside to neutral though is that it wont cover any scuffs, for that you will need a colour cream.

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

All I can add is that, over the years, I have used both neutral and coloured polish on my tan Buckingham's and Chester's. I guess that, if Loake's sell their own shoe products, they wouldn't be anticipating a darkening with their use.

Two tan creams that I have found useful are GlenKaren and Brush Up (by Sweeney). Neither contain turpentine, they are mild and and light in the colour department. If there is a worry about darkening, it is worth considering these. Very best wishes, Munky.

10. PParker ESQ

I understanding what you are saying but the products by their very nature will darken leather over time, it has nothing to do with turpentine and everything to do with wax and pigment. Wax is oily, oil stains. Drip oil on a tshirt and you will leave a dark stain because the oil has saturated the fabric.

This is the exact reason why you can damage shoes if you use too large an amount of product and why it says to use sparingly in the instructions, it overloads the material, impregnating it with oils which cannot then be removed.

Likewise with colour creams, you are adding additional colour pigment on top of colour which is absorbed into the material, just like using a crayon on paper the more times you go over the same mark the darker the colour will go.

Loake products are no different, they will darken leather over time and they themselves will know fully the effect that wax products have.

Having spoken with tanneries, having spoken with factory managers, having witnessed with my very own eyes, shoes that are years old being sent back for repair and knowing what colour they were in comparison to what was received I can assure you that this information is correct. It has even happened to my own shoes and my colleagues.

Granted darkening takes a long time (unless used incorrectly or too frequently) and you may not even notice at first due to how gradual the process is but the end result is the same.

There is NO wax product that you can use that will not eventually darken the leather, its just science.

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

That's useful and interesting info. Thanks, PParker! I mostly do a lot of brushing of my shoes and that tends to keep them in good shape.

The reason I mentioned turpentine is that some people (including me) are allergic to it.

What would be your preferred option for stuff to put on your shoes?

With best wishes, Munky.

12. PParker ESQ

Hmmm well for tan leather I rely on buffing when necessary and neutral wax Polish when buffing won't bring them back enough. If they're looking a bit dry I'll use delicate leather balm, this tends to be every few month or longer. I do have saphir light brown cream but this I only use if I must, to correct a nick or scuff.

I once used solely light brown cream and Polish regularly on a pair of tan shoes, they had completely changed colour in 6-7 months. Never again.

Having several pairs of tan shoes over the years (favourite colour) I've had chance to see what works best at maintaining the original colour.

Less is more is definitely my approach to tan leather.

13. Carl1955

Carl1955 Senior member

Personally I use Saphir Yellow wax on my Tan shoes it does slightly lighten the colour of the shoes over time and after a number of polishes, I always use the saphir renovateur neutral cream first before the polish as I feel it's better than the Saphir Pommadier cream.

Regards Carl.

1 person likes this.
  14. PParker ESQ

I dont wish to seem argumentative but as far as I am aware that is technically impossible, you cannot lighten shoe leather unless you bleach it. What I feel is more likely is that the sun has bleached them or possibly dried them out somewhat rather than anything associated with the cream you used.

When it comes to leather colour, you can darken the shade or change the colour to a different darker colour depending what the original colour was. You cannot lighten, try using a different lighter colour on black leather, or dark brown leather, see what happens.

Or ask the question on the shoe care thread, I'm pretty sure you'll get the same answer.

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

Nothing to see here. Move on, please.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Well guys, I've been an Allen Edmonds person on this forum for the last year, but I ordered my first pair of Loakes yesterday. I got the Aldwych in dark brown. I normally wear 8 D in AE, so I hope 7 F fits me okay.

17. PParker ESQ

Maybe a little snug, i would have suggested a 7.5. But everyone is diFforest, good luck!

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just a thought about tan shoes and their being darkened. It may be worth bearing in mind that shoemaking companies apply polish and wax before the shoes leave the workshop. Thus, some - perhaps major - darkening will already have taken place before you buy the shoes.

It seems unlike that subsequent polishing is going to increase the darkening in any major way. If there was an incremental darkening, we would all end up with dark brown shoes. Which, we don't.

I have to say that, looking at my 5 year old tan Chester's, I can't see that they are particularly darker than when I bought them. I even compared them to a new pair, in the shop. Not much different.

PParker, clearly you cannot make darker shoes lighter. And, as it has been discussed on this thread, ad nauseam, over the years, we probably know that 'less is more'.

Yours, as always, Munky.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Thanks. I read that a lot of people complained that going 1/2 size down from AE was too big, so I hope I made the right decision. I'll find out one way or another if 7 F is too small or if 7.5 F is my size.

20. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Which US retailers carry Loake? The only one I know is East Dane. Still sucks so much that you can't buy them from UK distributors any more