• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They soften after use I believe, but I actually quite like them being stiff and thick.

mk nautilus

Reaction score

They look nicely broken in :) Where'd you get the laces? I hate the stock ones that came with my Hydes.
A local shoe shop. I think they're fairly standard dark brown leather laces. I find the stock laces look too synthetic.
My boots at the start of their tough life

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they would like great with some flat waxed laces, like Alden's.

th6252

Reaction score
Hello all, looking into possibly purchasing a pair of Loake's. Looking at the Ledbury model in brown. As I need the bit of grip the rubber soles provide and I'm in need of the versatility the medium brown color brings. I've actually narrowed my choices down to the Ledbury and these Meermins: https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4639#. Basically comes to what my research reveals will be a better fit for my foot.

I'm curious if anyone can compare/contrast the Claridge last to something like an AE 5/65 last a Carmina Forest last. Carmina Forest-M in 6UK feels just a about right for my feet(just a hair narrow at first but breaking in nicely with wear) while I'm a 7D US in AE 5 last(although just a touch snug overall).

The Ledbury would be my first choice, but I'm worried the Claridge might a bit too long for me in 6UK from what I've been reading. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, looking into possibly purchasing a pair of Loake's. Looking at the Ledbury model in brown. As I need the bit of grip the rubber soles provide and I'm in need of the versatility the medium brown color brings. I've actually narrowed my choices down to the Ledbury and these Meermins: https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4639#. Basically comes to what my research reveals will be a better fit for my foot.

I'm curious if anyone can compare/contrast the Claridge last to something like an AE 5/65 last a Carmina Forest last. Carmina Forest-M in 6UK feels just a about right for my feet(just a hair narrow at first but breaking in nicely with wear) while I'm a 7D US in AE 5 last(although just a touch snug overall).

The Ledbury would be my first choice, but I'm worried the Claridge might a bit too long for me in 6UK from what I've been reading. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I am an 8.5 D in AE 5 last and 7.5 F in the Claridge last. It fits pretty much true to size. I think 6UK will be fine for you, especially as you find US 7D a touch snug.

Last edited:

Carl1955

Reaction score
I purchased the Loake In Stock 2015 book today from my local Brogue Trader shop in Chester UK

Nice book includes how they started, their tradition, the art of shoe making and all their current range in full color for each shoe and all the information about them.

Got the impression it was for shop use only, but when I asked they found me one they hadn't used and charged my £5

Good read

Cheers

Carl.

th6252

Reaction score

I am an 8.5 D in AE 5 last and 7.5 F in the Claridge last. It fits pretty much true to size. I think 6UK will be fine for you, especially as you find US 7D a touch snug. 

Thanks for the quick response. I think the main thing that concerns me is the extra length at the toe of the last. I'm hoping it's only a negligible amount.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the quick response. I think the main thing that concerns me is the extra length at the toe of the last. I'm hoping it's only a negligible amount.

The slightly elongated toe is only cosmetic and shouldn't really affect the fit.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, quite a few Loake shoes have extended toes and Loake acknowledge this and say that this is purely cosmetic. They are pretty good at giving information about the fit of their shoes. Great shoes, either way!

DavidKong

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a C&J 8.5 E on 363 last (medium width) , may I know what size should I go for loake cannon double monk on capital last? Shall I take size 9 or stick to the same size ?
Appreciate the help.
Thanks

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newly acquired Loake Eton on the 019 last from Herring Shoes. I went the same size as my chukkas on the 026 last.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a pair of Loake Burford Black boots at my local debenhams about two weeks ago

I've creamed twice and waxed once to try and soften them up, I've also worn them around the house and outside on a couple of short journeys.

I wore them for work last Saturday ( stood up for about 7 hours ) and they are still not as comfortable as I would like.

I have read that they do need a bit of "breaking in"

Has anyone any good ideas on what to try next ?

Thanks

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads