1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

I also have the Saphir Bordeaux wax polish (burgundy) and have to disagree with you here: the polish seems to contain more purple than red but I may have been deceived by my shoe project. Basically, I decided that I didn't like my burgundy shoes and came up with the wild idea to make them look purple. The customer service at one of the online retailers selling Saphir recommended to just use the bordeaux paste because it was "really rich in purple".

I purchased the polish (both shoe cream and wax polish) and gave the shoes a few polishes. Nothing changed - the shoes were still the same colour - burgundy with more purple than red though. I was unhappy so purchased Saphir Renomat and washed the wax polish off (it began to flake).

Then I purchased Saphir Beaute de Cuir lilac shoe cream which instead stained the shoes in areas and the purpleness became patchy. I was pretty annoyed by then because patchy purple looked very very bad.

In the end, I washed off the shoe cream with Renomat two or three times and used Saphir Teinture Francaise to paint them a purple colour. The project gave me fantastic results and I am really happy with Saphir Teinture Francaise - it's an excellent dye. I plan to post pictures and a detailed commentary of the project on my blog in the near future but at the moment I'm working on another post about my first Goodyear welted shoes from Berwick.

I guess because of the staining and flaking I grew a natural resentment to Saphir, although their products are fantastic I have to say. The whole situation was probably a cause of lack of knowledge and experience in shoes, but the whole shoe adventure came to a happy end ;) At the moment I prefer to stay off of Saphir (I only use the lilac shoe cream for the purple painted shoes which doesn't stain no more) and have began using the Swiss brand Burgol which I came across at when visiting the Shoepassion store in Warsaw, Poland. It's a great polish and I'm not planning on going back to Saphir :D

It seems that the Bordeaux / burgundy polish from Burgol is much more red than the one from Saphir and that's something that I also embrace. A good alternative too ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Munky

Munky Senior member

It sounds as it all worked out well, Smerf!

3. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

It did indeed Munky ;) But I'm not intending to try that again :D

4. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Active Member

I'm a 9.5D US in the AE 65 last and was sized by a chap in a Loake shop as a 9F on the 026 last (Langdale) because I found the 026 last a bit narrower. In the end I think it was a bit roomy, but I had my cobbler install some extra padding under the insole and now they're lovely. When I bought my Kemptons, I knew I want to be able to wear them with slightly thicker socks in cooler weather so I went with a 9 again and they're perfect.

Also, for all you fellow Americans out there, be advised that Loake is restricting UK stockists from shipping their products to the US as of this Monday the 1st so get your orders in!

5. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

Yea, that restriction sucks... :/ After those 125 years or so Loake is a global brand and it should recognise that their customers are from ALL OVER the world. There's nothing we can do about it I guess, except feel for our American colleagues [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

If Loake had some well established network of US based dealers it wanted to protect or wanted to sell to US customers direct from its own website, I guess it would somewhat make sense. However, neither is apparently the case.

I guess I'll just have to enjoy the one pair I have.

1 person likes this.
  7. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

Yes. probably the only means of getting good value Loake shoes in the US will be eBay or from smaller chain EU retailers that actually ship to non-EU countries.

8. SnakeDoctor

I am pretty upset about this. Now we Yanks will just have to keep our eyes peeled for sales at East Dane and Gilt, etc.

[​IMG]
    Also, I haven't really seen too much about these on the web at all so I thought I would share. They're the Worton on the Pennine last; got them in a couple of weeks ago and absolutely adore them. I have somewhat wide feet so I didn't size down at all but I wish I had done, maybe half a size. With tongue pads though, they work just fine with both thick and thin socks and no heel slip. Gorgeous shoes; highly recommended.

2 people like this.
  9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thanks for sharing. Those are very nice casual shoes. The red Dainite sole makes them quite unique.

10. Ransyn

Ransyn Active Member

Was a bit of a struggle for me to find somewhere that shipped to australia since the export restrictions

I ended up using colin white menswear (site below) Got my order within a week, and got promt replies when i messaged about it.

Now a proud owner of a pair of Loake churchills =]

http://cwmenswear.co.uk/

11. pediwear

pediwear Senior member

Thank you for your kind comments about your contacts with our business. It is frustrating and expensive when shoes ordered from abroad do no fit. I hope you manage to find something to suit you - our advisor David and Stephen are always available via email or chat - and now they will have the added information regarding the fitting of your post recent purchase to assist them.

12. dohare

dohare Senior member

I'm traveling to Dublin in the spring (from US) anyone have any store recommendations where I can grab some Loakes? Figured it might be prudent per the new export restrictions.

13. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Recieved my Loake Kemptons from Pediwear. Absolutely beautiful shoe, something you really can't seem to get from the American makers.

Despite my request to ship via Royal Mail only, I was smacked with $80 in duties to Canada. No sign on the package that they actually were shipped via Royal Mail. I suppose this isn't an issue moving forward due to Loake's shipping restriction.

14. SnakeDoctor

When did you order yours and how long did they take to ship out? I ordered a pair of the Hydes from Pediwear four days ago and have yet to see any change in status. I ordered my Kemptons last fall from Herring and I believe they were much quicker to despatch and arrive.

15. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Not sure why you can't tell how the package was shipped. There must be a shipping label of some sort.

If the package was not delivered by courier (DHL/UPS/FedEx) then it was sent by Royal Mail. I have ordered from Pediwear in the past and shipping has always been by Royal Mail to the US.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. breakaway01

so if you ordered on Friday, it's been 2 business days or so? I'd be patient. Pediwear has come through for me on four previous orders, though I agree that they weren't fast as Herring. Don't know 100% for sure but I would guess that they have had a large number of orders before the Feb 1 restriction of shipments to the US and Canada.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  17. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Almost bought Loake Pimlicos last night just as the Pediwear sale was ending, but managed to restrain myself.
    I've bought two pairs of boots since late November, so I have to take it easy.

Going on a trip to the US in the summer and might come home with AE Daltons, but maybe Pimlicos will be on the shortlist for next winter.

18. chiggyv

chiggyv Senior member

Ordered on January 24th, shipped on January 27th. A little slower to ship than we are used to, but overall made it here in one piece.

I wasn't here to receive the package myself. The only logos I can find are EMS and Parcelforce (looks like that maybe Royal Mail?) on some customs papers. All stickers on the package have been covered up by Canada Post.

19. breakaway01

Yes, Parcelforce is Royal Mail. Also, since it was delivered by Canada Post, it would not have been a courier.

20. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Just a quick update: Loake's last 024 indeed fits at least half a size bigger than most. I usually wear 8UK but took a full size smaller gander, and the Wolf boots fit without squeezing.

1 person likes this.