Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. APHK

APHK Member

I currently have the Strand and Savoy. The Aldwych will probably be my next purchase.

Loake 1880s are great shoes for the money and I readily wear them in rotation with more expensive shoes.

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, they are my go to shoes for everyday wearing, good quality and style, especially when it comes down to a pair of black cap toe oxfords.

3. APHK

APHK Member

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

Beautiful full brogue, you can really appreciate the elongated Mayfair last on this pair.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great review, thanks for taking the time, and thanks for sharing.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

thanks, dddrees, there is just enough merits and demerits from Loake 1880s to write a review, unlike the higher grade shoes, where they are pretty good or perfect, haha.

7. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

Here are my Loake1880 Edward oxford with victor sole, compared with my Cheaney Avon derby with dainite sole.

[​IMG]

I do like the Cheaney but I have to say I prefer the Loake. The leather feels great and burnishes well, and it seems better stitched together than the Cheaney. At least to my non-expert evaluation. I also got complimented on the Loake which was nice :)

8. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Noice... double leather soled? The Loake being a closed oxford style looks better too... a tad more elegant..

9. Chuckie Egg

Thanks Yowzer :)

This one 'Edward' has a rubber victor sole - however they also do this same shoe with leather sole but call it 'Ashby'.

I went for the rubber sole as I intend to wear it for all-weather.

The Cheaney was 300 GBP, compared to 200 for the Loake. I truly cannot see a tangible quality difference.

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

Interesting point about the price, Chuckie Egg, it's really a diminishing return for shoes past say 200 pounds.

11. Chuckie Egg

Yes wurger, at least I cannot see or feel a marked superiority in the Cheaney. I think Loake 1880 is probably underrated, or maybe the brand equity is lowered by its more budget ranges.

The Cheaneys are nice (I like them too) but little things I notice such as:
    - some long-ish thread ends that I had to snip down
    - areas of under-polish/dye (e.g. pale area of the vamp under the corner of the lace facing/flap)
    - the lace flaps have a more wrinkly leather than the rest of the upper... I'm guessing they are using a lower grade of leather for those parts?

If I was to do a blind assessment without knowing brand/price, to my non-expert eye, I would think the Loake was the more expensive shoe.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Loake gets a lot of flak from wearers of their lower range, and Charles Tyrwhitt shoes which were made by Loake, but the ranges I mentioned are not 1880 quality, which is an excellent range at its price point.

And Herring shoes by Loake are quite good quality according to a few SF members too.

13. Chuckie Egg

I'm confused as to whether the calf leather Tyrwhitt shoes are Loake 1880. They have a pair of brogue in their sale @ half price GBP 125, was 250...?

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

From the discounts they are doing, and the qualities of CT shoes, I highly doubt it.

15. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

The CT shoes made by Loake are clearly advertised as made in northampton, lower price shoes are made abroad.

And consider also that CT shoes are always "on sale", the retail price is the sale price.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013