• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Aldwych - what's the difference?

Fabritius

Reaction score
I'm looking for shoesfor ny wedding, were i'll be wearing a charcoal three piece suit, ivory shirt and a dark tie. I've desided to wear black cap toe oxfords onthe day, and like the look of Loake Aldwych a lot.

The arent the store close by selling them, and I have searched for online shop selling them ind Denmark. I've forund a shop called Heppo selling Them, but they have 2 different black Aldwych. Can anyone tell what the difference are by the pictures?

http://heppo.dk/herresko/elegante-sko/aldwych-100552-0014

Vs

http://heppo.dk/herresko/elegante-sko/aldwych-110287-0014

Besiddes the shoes I only need cufflinks (going plain rectangular sterlin), a pocket watch and socks.

Any advise on the socks? Plain black, or should i find something a bit more colorfull and/or patterned?

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell, especially since I can't read Danish. The second ones look shinier, suggesting they might be corrected grain, though I think it is just different photography. Does it mentioned 'high shine' or 'polished' anywhere in the text?

Last edited:

Fabritius

Reaction score
The site doesn't mention anything about the shoes being polished, shiny or something like that. Also I can't find anything online about the Aldwych being made in corrected leather.

Even though they call both shoes black the dark brown vs black could be the explanation.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're both black. I think they are the same shoe, just different photography.

Fabritius

Reaction score
They're both black. I think they are the same shoe, just different photography.

You might be right. After googling a bit more, I found the Aldwych in another danish webshop priced 10% lover. Might as well just buy 'em were they are cheapest. Same options on returning, resizing etc.

Same shoe, right?

Doesn't look that shiny though, but I guess it's the right calf leather.

Last edited:

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is black, the other is dark brown. No worries on "Corrected Grain" or whatsoever, Aldwych is from the 1880 line, the best from Loake so to speak.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One is black, the other is dark brown.

Then why do both pages have the Danish word for black (sort) where it states the colour?

Not to mention that both shoes just clearly look black.

No worries on "Corrected Grain" or whatsoever, Aldwych is from the 1880 line, the best from Loake so to speak.

I don't know much about Loake in particular, but them being from the best line doesn't necessarily mean they can't be corrected grain. Church's, for example, sell various 'polished binder' shoes that cost twice what any Loake shoe costs.

Last edited:

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do know a lot on Loake since I've own, handled quite a few pairs. And 1880 models uses full grain calf leather not corrected/polished grain, no exeptions. All in all they're quite nice in their price range, but I'm still in shock since last years price increase from 145 to 195 gbp. Loake's dark brown is very dark, depending on lighting conditions it may look like black.

Few pics from Herring

Dark Brown

Black

Fabritius

Reaction score
Sounds like a big pricejump, but I can't really find anything comparable below £200. Makes it a bit harder, that i wan't to by inside Denmark.

Fabritius

Reaction score
Got an answer from the shop today - Both are black, but one more shiny than the other.

I trust you guys in here more, and based on that I bought a black pair in another online shop - 10% cheaper.

Thanks for helping :)

Fabritius

Reaction score
I've recieved my shoes today, and it feels like the fit is just about perfect. The size i'm not so sure about. They fit over the front of the foot without being tight. Very comfortably - perhaps a bit to comfortable. At the heel they are a little loose.

I expect them to get i bit wider after a little use, and based on that I'm considering to have them swapped from 8½ to 8.

How much smaller will they be when swapping ½ a size down?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics