• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 300 vs Loake 1880?

Loake Aldwych 1880 worth an extra £90 wearing a few times a year?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

AdamUK

Reaction score
I am looking at these two different shoe models.

I can get the Loake 300 for £160 and the Loake 1880 Aldwych for £250.

I will be wearing the shoes maybe two days a year for formal events as it is a black Oxford toe cap. Would I get any benefit from spending another £90? I am finding it hard to justify for once or twice a year wear but would be keen to know what others think, this is my first "expensive" pair.

KOz

Reaction score
I am looking at these two different shoe models.

I can get the Loake 300 for £160 and the Loake 1880 Aldwych for £250.

I will be wearing the shoes maybe two days a year for formal events as it is a black Oxford toe cap. Would I get any benefit from spending another £90? I am finding it hard to justify for once or twice a year wear but would be keen to know what others think, this is my first "expensive" pair.
Sounds like you already have an idea of what you want to do. To me, Aldwych has a more elegant last and the leather on the 300 looks low quality. Perhaps it depends on how important these events are for you.

Last edited:

AdamUK

Reaction score
Sounds like you already have an idea of what you want to do. To me, Aldwych has a more elegant last and the leather on the 300 looks low quality. Perhaps it depends on how important these events are for you.
Would people be able to see it looks like a low quality leather is there a big visual difference between the 300 and Aldwych?

KOz

Reaction score
To the average eye they probably look the same, honestly.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is difficult to tell two grades of leather apart when new. However, with wear there is an increased risk that the lower grade leather will show more flaws. There may be more creasing, or evidence of a loose grain in part of the shoe. I have a pair of the Aldwyches and the leather has held up very well for the past 8 years that I’ve owned them. They will easily last another decade, I reckon.

Biased of course but I think the Aldwych is a great value at £250. Here in the US Loake charges $455. You’d have to spend significantly more (e.g. C&J) to get a noticeably better shoe.

Last edited:

AdamUK

Reaction score
it is difficult to tell two grades of leather apart when new. However, with wear there is an increased risk that the lower grade leather will show more flaws. There may be more creasing, or evidence of a loose grain in part of the shoe. I have a pair of the Aldwyches and the leather has held up very well for the past 8 years that I’ve owned them. They will easily last another decade, I reckon.

Biased of course but I think the Aldwych is a great value at £250. Here in the US Loake charges $455. You’d have to spend significantly more (e.g. C&J) to get a noticeably better shoe.
Thanks for the insight, how often do you wear you Aldwych?

Seriously considering changing my order now. Thinking if I pay the extra £90 for the little I use them might last a lifetime and look a lot nicer over the time period than the others.

I was thinking of going for a rubber sole over leather would I regret that? Was thinking rubber sole would give me more grib on shiney surfaces and carpet

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, how often do you wear you Aldwych?

Seriously considering changing my order now. Thinking if I pay the extra £90 for the little I use them might last a lifetime and look a lot nicer over the time period than the others.

I was thinking of going for a rubber sole over leather would I regret that? Was thinking rubber sole would give me more grib on shiney surfaces and carpet
I wear mine probably 4-5 times a year. Definitely use shoe trees. Mine have Dainite (rubber) soles. Some people do not like them because they are quite hard and don’t absorb shock well. They can be surprisingly slippery on wet tile, unlike leather soles. Leather soles can be slippery when new but once they have worn in a bit, have good traction. But I find that rubber soles are better if you have to walk longer distances in wet/snowy weather (leather soles will get wet and wear faster in these conditions) and will last longer before resoling compared to leather.

AdamUK

Reaction score
I wear mine probably 4-5 times a year. Definitely use shoe trees. Mine have Dainite (rubber) soles. Some people do not like them because they are quite hard and don’t absorb shock well. They can be surprisingly slippery on wet tile, unlike leather soles. Leather soles can be slippery when new but once they have worn in a bit, have good traction. But I find that rubber soles are better if you have to walk longer distances in wet/snowy weather (leather soles will get wet and wear faster in these conditions) and will last longer before resoling compared to leather.
Have just researched dainite soles . Will definitely go with them otherwise I am going to be worried I will skip over especially on the smooth floors you find inside.

With the shoe horns any you recommend?

They seem to go from £20-£100 and I am not sure what to get? Seems another rabbit hole!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my shoes—the expected fine creasing over the top of the foot but no deep creases.
IMG_6737.jpeg

I wouldn’t spend a lot on shoe trees personally. For high end shoes you can get trees from the manufacturer made from the same last as the shoes for an exact fit. For these shoes all trees will be an approximation but imo not a big deal. In the US, Woodlore is good (see photo for mine) at about $20 a pair but not sure what to recommend in the UK.

IMG_6738.jpeg

AdamUK

Reaction score
Just received the 300s and fit nice and look alright to me.

Still have that niggle if it is worth returning and ordering 1880s though so if anyone else has any thoughts let me know

Panama

Reaction score
I

Still have that niggle if it is worth returning and ordering 1880s though so if anyone else has any thoughts let me know
I personally prefer the Made in England 1890's to the Made in India 300's.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score

Deoending on your size I have brand new dress shoes or used once. Going secondary market is alot cheaper

AdamUK

Reaction score
Just received the 1880. You can tell they are a lot nicer so going to keep them and buy once and cry once.

I did order a pair of perfects at £250 and a pair of factory seconds at £190.

The issue I have with the seconds is this scratch / indent on the toe cap leather. Will it be something which I can buff out or fix? Or is it best to just spend another £50 on the perfect ones?
PXL_20230619_102835346.MP.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads