• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 1880 (as opposed to c & j hg)

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was THIS close to ordering some C & J handgrades, but I decided I needed a pair of boots more so I ordered the cordovan chukkas from Bluefly. But I still really need a pair of dark brown shoes. Originally, I was considering the Audly or Weymouth from C & J in the dark brown antiqued. Well, with my chukka purchase, I'd like to save money if possible while still getting some "eye catching" high quality shoes. These Loakes just look so good, and would only be $220 from Pediwear. Am I crazy or are these very similar looking -- even down to the antiqued look -- of the C & J's? Anyone have any specific experience with these? Should I just bite the bullet and stay with C & J? (I can afford and want high quality shoes, but obviously like getting good bang for the buck -- would the Loakes end up being disappointing to me?). Loake "Weymouth look alikes"

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think they're nice looking shoes, personally, although I have no experience with Loake at all. RJMan on AskAndy bought some Tricker's wholecuts, which he liked: Ask Andy thread I think they might be a tad pricier than the Loake's, though. I vote you be the guinea pig and order these Loake's with a full review to follow.
biggrin.gif

Wick

Reaction score
If you order from Bluefly, use this code: MISSEDYOU557 (or 593). I ordered a pair of Polo Hayward's last night and one of those codes, I believe it was 557, gave me the 15% discount.

Urbane

Reaction score
Buy them. I like the brand - they are well made and well priced - and the shoe pictured is attractive.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Am I crazy or are these very similar looking -- even down to the antiqued look -- of the C & J's?

Well, Weymouth is a wholecut while these aren't, but the look is similar. That's not a surprise: the English manufacturers tend to have similar pattern repertoires, and I could get a similar shoe from several different sources.

Should I just bite the bullet and stay with C & J? (I can afford and want high quality shoes, but obviously like getting good bang for the buck -- would the Loakes end up being disappointing to me?).

The only way that you're going to know for sure whether C&J Handgrade shoes are worth the price differential over these shoes is to try both and learn from experience. It sounds like you really want to order the Loakes. You probably should, if only so that you won't have to wonder whether you made a mistake by paying more. The only thing to beware of is that the Loake shoe that you're considering comes in a UK F width, which roughly translates to a US E. If your feet aren't wider than average, you may be swimming a bit in the Loake shoes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you decide to buy the Loakes, let us know how they turn out. At that price point, they're very attractive.

dan

TKDKid

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads