• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake 1880 - Aldwych

bhall41

Reaction score
I received a pair of these shoes from Pediwear yesterday. I purchased them as workhorse shoes (in black). The Aldwych is a fairly new last for Loake.

I already had a pair of the Exeters (brogues), which is a more rounded last than the Aldwych, which has a chisel toe. Anyhow, it's a great looking last, and terrific value for money.

the law

Reaction score
Loake has some nice shoes in their 1880 line. I've got a few.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
I received a pair of these shoes from Pediwear yesterday. I purchased them as workhorse shoes (in black). The Aldwych is a fairly new last for Loake.

I already had a pair of the Exeters (brogues), which is a more rounded last than the Aldwych, which has a chisel toe. Anyhow, it's a great looking last, and terrific value for money.

great, i've just ordered a couple of pairs from them as well.
how long did it take for delivery?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
great, i've just ordered a couple of pairs from them as well.
how long did it take for delivery?

About 4 weeks, because Pediwear had to order the stock from Loake. The despatch itself (to Australia) was fast.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
About 4 weeks, because Pediwear had to order the stock from Loake. The despatch itself (to Australia) was fast.

how long did it take after pediwear had received the shoes from the manufacturer?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
how long did it take after pediwear had received the shoes from the manufacturer?

About 4 days.

bossman08

Reaction score
I've been eyeing this shoe for awhile..good to hear you like it. What size did you get? Care to post some pics?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bossman08
I've been eyeing this shoe for awhile..good to hear you like it. What size did you get? Care to post some pics?

Size 7.5, F width. I usually take a 7.5 or 8 in UK / Australian size shoes. I don't have a digital camera to take a picture sorry - a luddite I know! Go ahead and order the shoe - it might not be to Lobb / C&J standard, but then it is considerably cheaper. Great for everyday business wear.

bossman08

Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing holding me back is the sizing. This would be my first English shoe, so I'm a little wary about the sizing difference b/t U.S and UK. I'm an 11 or 11.5 in US size depending on the shoe. I heard these Loakes tend to run a little bigger than normal and a little wider, so I'm wondering if I should go with a 10 or 10.5.....

Are they comfortable and is the leather good quality?

bhall41

Reaction score
Yeah, the only thing holding me back is the sizing. This would be my first English shoe, so I'm a little wary about the sizing difference b/t U.S and UK. I'm an 11 or 11.5 in US size depending on the shoe. I heard these Loakes tend to run a little bigger than normal and a little wider, so I'm wondering if I should go with a 10 or 10.5.....

Re the sizes, I don't own any US sized shoes so I don't think I can help you much, except to reiterate that I am sometimes a size 8, but not in Loakes (or most other UK sized shoes).

Yes they are comfortable (wearing them right now). I am no expert but the leather is decent quality - perhaps not quite as nice as my other English shoes (Grenson, Tricker and Church) but then they are cheaper. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for!

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here was mine when new... Generally, size down 1 from your US size in this shoe. Round up if you are in between.
lal1.jpg

omjk

Reaction score
bossman, I'm normally a UK8, own a pair of Loakes brogues in a UK7, and they are certainly too small for me. It's possible that they run half a size big, but I would not have thought a whole one based on my scenario.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a pair of Loakes brogues that are not 1880s but older good quality. I take a UK10F and that accomodates a large orthotic. I wear a USA10.5E preferably and usually 11D or E.

If you are closer to USA11... 10 may do ...if USA11.5... definitely go for 10.5UK.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare this last with the Loake 026 last? Regarding style and sizing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads