Loafers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I have a pair of ultra simplistic Cleverly loafers that are quite easy and nice to wear.
    That might suit you.

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I've been wearing Gravati's that are high vamp, more chiseled last and completely unadorned with straps, buckles or tassels. I really had to overcome a gag reflex with loafers, but once I had them on and put them in my rotation, I've been wearing them a lot.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I used to despise them, but now I think a pair of side-gore loafers and a pair of regular loafers belongs in every shoe lineup.

I really like the shape of these BB clearance shoes, I wish they came in tan.

[​IMG]

4. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Just stumbled on this pair, see attachment. Anyone have thougts on what Alden last this can be on? Plaza? Never thought of that as a loafer LAST ... Possible sources? Priced at+500£ so must be less expensive stateside ... Might be the first pair of Aldens for me ... Thanks [​IMG]alden_cord_90897_2.jpg [​IMG]alden_cord_90897_1.jpg

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

These are what you need. [​IMG]
    These are actually pretty nice. There's also the Harrow from Edward Green which is somewhat more "classic".

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Just stumbled on this pair, see attachment.

Anyone have thougts on what Alden last this can be on?
    Plaza? Never thought of that as a loafer LAST ...
    Possible sources? Priced at+500£ so must be less expensive stateside ...
    Might be the first pair of Aldens for me ...

Thanks

[​IMG]alden_cord_90897_2.jpg [​IMG]alden_cord_90897_1.jpg

I believe those are the same model I pointed out earlier in the thread. If so, they are indeed on the Plaza last. I've seen them in person. Very nice. Much sleeker than you'd expect from Alden.

7. randallr

randallr Senior member

I like the ferragamo, a nice high vamp.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I can't behind these, but maybe the Yuma/Lansford from Florsheim?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics from Take Ivy/The Trad.

9. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Bontoni

[​IMG]

Kiton

[​IMG]

Sutor Mantellassi

[​IMG]

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Yes I do. Try reverse calf on the side gussett to tone it down from a town shoe. I don't think the Guccis are made quite a nicely as in their glory days, but the ones that they have now aren't too far off. They should be considered disposable shoes...wear them to hell, toss, replace. - B
    Where does one find side gussets? Gucci might be too Gucci. I had an uncle who wore Gucci loafers, and we called him the uncle in Gucci loafers. Apparently he was also a big Trabalza customer, as recently he commented that he had a sportcoat in the same fabric as the one I was wearing, and took me up to see his collection, while lamenting that he no longer has the chance to wear them in LA.

11. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I have two EG side-gusset shoes (one in edwardian and one in dark brown suede) and get pretty good use out of them. I also have the JL Campus which, like the Weston, is a nice iconic style.

I have the dark brown suede version as well. I really like it vs a loafer because it still feels like a regular shoe, and not something that'll slip off if you move quickly. I bought them for travel, but find I wear them quite often.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Where does one find side gussets?
    Not the easiest shoe to find RTW. Ralph Lauren has an EG pair called the Eden. I don't like it. [​IMG] I like them best brogued, in suede.

13. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Where does one find side gussets?

Gucci might be too Gucci. I had an uncle who wore Gucci loafers, and we called him the uncle in Gucci loafers. Apparently he was also a big Trabalza customer, as recently he commented that he had a sportcoat in the same fabric as the one I was wearing, and took me up to see his collection, while lamenting that he no longer has the chance to wear them in LA.

I now know I've spent too much time on SF because I swear this is the second time I've read this story!

Anyway, I've been thinking about loafers recently too. I've not had any in a few years since I abandoned my old Bass.

I'm on the lookout for a great pair in suede. And that's my rec for you. Maybe Mantellassi?

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

With all due respect to differing opinions, I think those are fantastically hideous.

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

With all due respect to differing opinions, I think those are fantastically hideous.

I concur.