1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Loafers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just stumbled on this pair, see attachment.

Anyone have thougts on what Alden last this can be on?
    Plaza? Never thought of that as a loafer LAST ...
    Possible sources? Priced at+500£ so must be less expensive stateside ...
    Might be the first pair of Aldens for me ...

Thanks

[​IMG]alden_cord_90897_2.jpg [​IMG]alden_cord_90897_1.jpg

I believe those are the same model I pointed out earlier in the thread. If so, they are indeed on the Plaza last. I've seen them in person. Very nice. Much sleeker than you'd expect from Alden.

2. randallr

randallr Senior member

I like the ferragamo, a nice high vamp.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I can't behind these, but maybe the Yuma/Lansford from Florsheim?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics from Take Ivy/The Trad.

1 person likes this.
  4. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Bontoni

[​IMG]

Kiton

[​IMG]

Sutor Mantellassi

[​IMG]

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes I do. Try reverse calf on the side gussett to tone it down from a town shoe. I don't think the Guccis are made quite a nicely as in their glory days, but the ones that they have now aren't too far off. They should be considered disposable shoes...wear them to hell, toss, replace. - B
    Where does one find side gussets? Gucci might be too Gucci. I had an uncle who wore Gucci loafers, and we called him the uncle in Gucci loafers. Apparently he was also a big Trabalza customer, as recently he commented that he had a sportcoat in the same fabric as the one I was wearing, and took me up to see his collection, while lamenting that he no longer has the chance to wear them in LA.

6. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I have two EG side-gusset shoes (one in edwardian and one in dark brown suede) and get pretty good use out of them. I also have the JL Campus which, like the Weston, is a nice iconic style.

I have the dark brown suede version as well. I really like it vs a loafer because it still feels like a regular shoe, and not something that'll slip off if you move quickly. I bought them for travel, but find I wear them quite often.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Where does one find side gussets?
    Not the easiest shoe to find RTW. Ralph Lauren has an EG pair called the Eden. I don't like it. [​IMG] I like them best brogued, in suede.

8. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Where does one find side gussets?

Gucci might be too Gucci. I had an uncle who wore Gucci loafers, and we called him the uncle in Gucci loafers. Apparently he was also a big Trabalza customer, as recently he commented that he had a sportcoat in the same fabric as the one I was wearing, and took me up to see his collection, while lamenting that he no longer has the chance to wear them in LA.

I now know I've spent too much time on SF because I swear this is the second time I've read this story!

Anyway, I've been thinking about loafers recently too. I've not had any in a few years since I abandoned my old Bass.

I'm on the lookout for a great pair in suede. And that's my rec for you. Maybe Mantellassi?

9. mafoofan

[​IMG]

With all due respect to differing opinions, I think those are fantastically hideous.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

With all due respect to differing opinions, I think those are fantastically hideous.

I concur.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

These look like a lobotomized chelsea boot.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

13. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Lobb Rio, Corthay Massai, or Weston #180. Aubercy has a tassle loafer that I saw in a magazine that seemd nice.

14. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

I concur.

These look like a lobotomized chelsea boot.

+100 I just don't get side-gusset slip-ons.

15. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

[​IMG] The EG Parson is a bit nicer than the eden in my opinion.

16. mafoofan

^^^ Eh. The broguing just puts a shallow glaze over the underlying hideousness.

17. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd like the Eden were it just a bit taller and squared off at the top. I'd like a low chelsea, but they're hard to find. Disappointingly, I initially thought the Eden was what I was looking for, but twas not.

Do you have a side gusset?

Or just a plain old Gucci horsebit? The classic type?

[​IMG]

At first I thought you were kidding. I just can't go there with you, especially on the Gucci.

18. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

These are actually pretty nice.

There's also the Harrow from Edward Green which is somewhat more "classic".

Thanks FNB. These are a MTO EG Tewkesbury.

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Gucci might be too Gucci. I had an uncle who wore Gucci loafers, and we called him the uncle in Gucci loafers.

The original version is classic collegiate/Yankee with a touch of Palm Bitch. I still remember a pair from college that ended being duct-taped for a month or two before tossing.

The fact that the originals are so unpopular now with so many bastardized versions and imitators is just icing on the cake. If I add the fact that Fuuma and edmorel hate it, my love simply grows stronger.

I wear them with relish and they are still as comfy as they ever were. Iconic goodness. The calf versions are great with cords.

- B

20. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

At first I thought you were kidding. I just can't go there with you, especially on the Gucci.

That's like refusing potato chips at a steakhouse bar.

- B