• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers without socks

Loafers without socks are:

• Comfortable and stylish

• Comfortable but look childish

• Just...hideous

• Acceptable only when it's very hot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
loaf2.jpg
loaf.jpg

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comfortable, but only for casual wear. They need to be the right kind of loafer too - think blake-stitched Italian loafers on gossamer thin leather soles or moccasin construction Rancourts and what not. Heavy English GYW loafers are basically lace-ups without laces and I've found that even them most broken-in pairs turn into monstrous ankle-eaters worn without socks.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you added "stylish", comfortable is the test.

emptym

Reaction score
Any time w/ shorts, jeans, or chinos (weather permitting).
Rarely w/ a jacket and never w/ a tie.
Unless you're a dandy.

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Any time w/ shorts, jeans, or chinos (weather permitting).
Rarely w/ a jacket and never w/ a tie.
Unless you're a dandy.
I agree. Never with a tie and rearely with a jacket. I work in a very conservative office and will wear chinos with loafers sans socks on casual days as does the firm president.

TBS, I consider no socks to also mean no show socks. More so, I really don’t like many loafers with shorts. Sometimes it can look like the mullet of preppy.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Agree with Caustic that it's a matter of preference (obvs) but I do think that it tends to look better if;
- the overall look is more casual/preppy
- the loafers in question are not too shiny or hefty
- one isn't going to walk long distances

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Would look much better if you had a sun tan. Your ankles are too white. But i have seen much worse than that on this forum.
Still, as you are (relatively) young, and because your outfit is nice, you can get away with it.

I think this look, as a fashion/style/practical statement, originated in Italy and South of France, and then was adopted by Ivy Style adepts. Just my two cents though. (No need to speak about fishermen or peasants going sockless, it's a worldwide Phenomenon).

Everybody on the Riviera was/is wearing loafers like that. I've seen it from the late sixties to this day. Wasn't there Before but it lasts for a long time for sure. My father (who was born in 1914 and was a very smart dresser) seemed to have always wear his Italian loafers like that during summer, but only on the Riviera of course.

Last edited:

JJ Katz

Reaction score
For many years I've heard the habit of wearing shoes without socks as somehow particularly "Italian" (and Clouseau adds "French" to that). As someone who grew up in Italy and always went to the Riviera in summer, I have strong doubts. Besides strictly *beach* shoes like espadrilles and sandals, I do not recall anyone wearing sockless loafers (let alone other 'town' shoes) before the late 1980s. In my observation, it's something that was imported from the US as a preppy fashion with 'boat shoes', casual loafers and then transferred to driving shoes. I do agree that once the fashion began, younger Italians adopted it enthusiastically.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
For many years I've heard the habit of wearing shoes without socks as somehow particularly "Italian" (and Clouseau adds "French" to that). As someone who grew up in Italy and always went to the Riviera in summer, I have strong doubts. Besides strictly *beach* shoes like espadrilles and sandals, I do not recall anyone wearing sockless loafers (let alone other 'town' shoes) before the late 1980s. In my observation, it's something that was imported from the US as a preppy fashion with 'boat shoes', casual loafers and then transferred to driving shoes. I do agree that once the fashion began, younger Italians adopted it enthusiastically.

I have to disagree, first because i went every year from childhood (born in'65) to my 30s in the Saint Tropez area and sockless loafer ( not exclusively pennies but tassel, Italian, mainly light 'summer' loafers, etc) was very common there. And as i think i wrote Before the sockless Weston (penny loafers) was a 'Minet' favorite since the early 60s and even their trademark.
Now i have to say that i was going on the french side of the Côte d'Azur, not on the Italian side. So it is true i can't speak for Italy.

I tend to think, but it is just a supposition, that this look could have been imported to the States just after the war by GIs who were in France and Italy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads