• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers with a suit?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with loafers & suit. In general I prefer almond shape penny loafers with suits and predominantly wear black loafers with blue & grey suits.

4abd923bca6ac5752aa73244a8f06784.jpg
article-2343029-1A5C7A65000005DC-484_306x639.jpg
2F5D665000000578-3359405-image-m-11_1450104445880.jpg
31066D4B00000578-0-image-a-11_1455033148666.jpg

Last edited:

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think that if the colour (very dark brown or black), finish (smooth, glossy) and last (elegant, town-ish) are right, loafers can go quite well with summery, light-weight suits.

The OP's example: imagine those with a dark blue seersucker suit or a linen tobacco suit or a fresco PoW mid/light grey.

In Spain, where the weather runs very warm in summer but biz types want to stick to biz suits, loafers are worn with suits without compunction.

I also do not perceive a real difference between a 'penny' loafer or a tasseled one when the last is a sleek, town-ish one like the one the OP showed.

Obviously if one is wearing a loafer with a very heavy beef-roll, or a matte finish or other more casual details it won't work as well.

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
Loafers look great with a suit for me, however is quite difficult to get optimal ones that fit well, they are very nice to see but they are not as confortable as Oxfords, monks, derbies

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For someone who already dresses well and has a strong sense of personal style, wearing loafers with a suit can add a dashing air of nonchalance. For someone who doesn't yet dress well it can make a disaster look that much worse. The middling sorts of dressers will simply stick to the rules that have served them well since they started and wont hazard it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly .. of course they can be worn with a suit.. the I wouldn't dare crowd.. wouldn't want to hang with those stiffs

Thomson

Reaction score
Well-dressed (in an Hermès tie kind of way) senior guy at work wears nothing but black tassel loafers and formal suits. Gives off a very old-money kind of vibe.
Like I am too rich to run after a bus or ride a bicycle. Or walk.
I like it.

TomTom

Reaction score
It all depends on the environment and even the country. For instance , in a top Law Firm in the City wearing a black tasseled loafer is completely fine, even all the partners do it all the time. But in Finance it's mostly a Friday thing. I personally would wear them with a suit but I only wear oxfords once a week. It mostly derby's, boots and loafers for me (always with a suit)

apd90700

Reaction score
You're generally okay with darker calf leather penny or Belgian loafers and a suit. Trick seems to be necessity, if you're not required to wear a suit, loafers are okay. If you're required to wear a suit and the event is very formal, then go with oxfords, less detailed the better.

Examples of Acceptable Loafer Suit Pairing
  • Church
  • Celebrations like birthdays
  • Out on the town

Examples of Unacceptable Loafer Suit Pairing
  • Funeral
  • Wedding

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't do it ... perhaps that's just the American (US) in me. If I want to appear more casual I'll wear a pair of Derby shoes.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s very Italian. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It depends on the suit and the loafer.

Reactions: RSS

c0de

Reaction score
I wear loafers (specifically Lake Forest in Oxblood, so similar look to OP) with my navy suits as long as I'm not wearing a tie. I do that regularly for work.
When wearing a suit with a tie, I wear a cap toe oxford..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads