• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers / Driving Shoes with shorts? Cast your vote?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
All perfect for summer with shorts and no socks.

purch004.jpg
(moc body loafer sole)

etro005.jpg
(perf and linen lined)

lanvin001.jpg

oxbloodman.jpg

oxblah.jpg

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn shorts in the past two years, workouts excluded. However, I'm not sure that if one is going to wear shorts, loafers make anything worse. At least, driving mocs, Venetians, or Gucci bit loafers. Weston 180's is probably pushing it. No tassels for me, but the only tasseled shoe I've ever thought didn't completely suck was a Saint Crispin posted a while ago.

And sockless, don't do it. Buy loafer socks. Banana usually has them, and STP often gets them in. Last time they did, I bought a score.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
All perfect for summer with shorts and no socks.

oxbloodman.jpg

What kind of shorts do you have in mind that go perfectly with these type of shoes? (no socks, right?)

yoyo

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear black or dark browns loafers.

I also wear Birkenstock mules i wear a lot in the summer

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear shorts anymore however, if I were, I'd use those socks that are very low profile with driving sneaker versus driving moc. Moccassins are to me, well, come si dice "blech"?

biggrin.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I hit the highway during the warm months, I will be wearing shorts and driving shoes.

Zamiang

Reaction score
wow somehow this is quite a touchy subject with me, particularly as I have been freezing all April dreaming of wearing my shorts and loafers with no socks......now on to my first post and defending my dream......ha....

The loafers shorts combo is a truly complex issue and worth a bit of thought to transcend the 35 year old married couch slouch look. Where you want to aim is to make the shorts and loafers very intentional and a bit absurd. Aim for Miami coke dealer/ Miami Vice. You can quickly turn from looking like you are just bored with life to having so much to do and so much money that you really just wear what is comfortable.
*I work as in photography and advertising** so take this with a big bag of salt...

first and most importantly-
You really need a blinding watch, something really disgustingly proclaiming your wealth and your 'status'. I know you guys have them...we're talking diamonds and gold

second
some summer golf hat, leather Italian hat, vintage hat, something that connotes golf and beaches

third
a really really nice shirt that matches and is possibly black (I like RLPL polos)

here's my favorite- suede Ferragamo loafers with matching suede Burberry shorts and a vintage 70s Rado, somehow the gold becomes like an earthtone...the rest is variable

I hope I have some how legitimized the loafers with shorts thing or at least made it an entertaining and stylish option for the casual dresser...

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oxbloodman.jpg

No socks? Sure- if I'm running to walgreens for some milk at 1 am.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Shorts, driving shoes/loafers and no socks? I think they'd look good if your physique is tops. If you have knobby knees, a beer gut, or a slob then this is not for you imho.

Antome

Reaction score
I always liked this style and the overall look. It's a classic to me. Loafers must be casual and not dressy dressy. It looks better with t-shirts, untucked but well taylored.
I prefer the sockless look, but I have to say ankle socks are perfectly fine too, if worn with style and not white. Years ago I found a boy walking in shorts and t-shirt with leather loafers and black ankle socks. That outfit looked good on him. Some boys are just more comfortable wearing socks, others may not like them but does it stop it fro looking ok? They are just socks. :)

Von Franz

Reaction score
It's fine, just so long as you can pull it off with confidence.
Your shorts and loafers have to be objectively stylish, too.
People forget to apply regular standards to shorts sometimes, and it's a shame.

Don't wear douchey shorts, or douchey loafers.
If you wear either, you'll look like a douche.

If you wear shorts that fit well and are relatively subdued, and loafers you'd wear with normal pants, you have a fairly good chance of making it work.
No socks.
None.

Don't think of the loafers as dressier shoes, either.
Think of them as analogous to boat shoes when you have them on.
If you look like you've thought too much about it, or are showing off your shoes, it won't work.
If you approach it in a laid-back manner, it can certainly be done.

-VF

NormanF

Reaction score
I've always seen this as a tricky combo.

What works and what doesn't???
Does suede make it better?

1. Do you do this?
2. If so, What combo can pull it off if at all?
3. Desribe loafer style, material etc.
4. or finally, just blast the whole idea as WRONG!

*Multiple Choice available

I found this below from a website and I thought it was funny:

Let's get something straight. Wearing loafers with no socks AND shorts is WRONG. IT'S OFFENSIVE.

Just who the hell do you think you are? You can't just casually strut around with those worn out bacteria factories on your feet and the daisy dukes and think that's OK. You're probably married, over 35 and therefore have lost all sense of style, but it's no excuse.

I bet this type of person even has the "nice loafers" and the "garden/outdoor grilling loafers". You SO deserve to die it's not even funny.

If I see you, I'm going to give you a major beat down, then laugh at your kids and call them ugly to their little crying faces.

Also, you may get an even BIGGER beat down if the following conditions are met:

- your loafers have tassles on them

- your shirt is tucked in

- your wife refers to you as her "hubby"

Funny. I have both Tods' and Prada's Car Shoes. But I wouldn't recommend them for anything but sustained driving!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics