• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers.....convince me I should like them.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
For my entire adult life, I have yet to wear any sort of loafers. The only slip on shoes that I wear are Birkenstock or Danskos for the operating room (when I am not wearing my Red Wing pull ups). I have several pairs of nicer dress shoes and a wide selection of casual shoes, but I cannot stand loafers. Every time I look at a pair I think of my private school days and wearing Weejuns almost every damn day.
I appeal to the SF groupthink collective to help me learn to like loafers and maybe even buy one or two pairs.
Help me SF.
stirpot.gif

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 997CTSurg
For my entire adult life, I have yet to wear any sort of loafers. The only slip on shoes that I wear are Birkenstock or Danskos for the operating room (when I am not wearing my Red Wing pull ups). I have several pairs of nicer dress shoes and a wide selection of casual shoes, but I cannot stand loafers. Every time I look at a pair I think of my private school days and wearing Weejuns almost every damn day.
I appeal to the SF groupthink collective to help me learn to like loafers and maybe even buy one or two pairs.
Help me SF.
stirpot.gif

It sounds like you actually like loafers, and are looking for SF to give you reasons to deal with lingering guilt.

If not, don't buy them. You can live a full, rich sartorial life without owning a single pair.

P.S. I hate loafers.

P.P.S. Double monk straps are the bee's knees.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own one pair. No tassles! Just plain sleek last - no moc toes or boat shoes.
I felt the same, but they have grown on me, and they get alot of use -especially with jeans and warm weather. I've seen a killer pair of suedes with a split toe lately.
...Still don't like them with most suits -then someone does it well and it works.
-I've come to embrace my internal conflict-
did I say no tassles!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why convince you? Don't wear them if you don't like them. There are lots of fun and attractive options.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Why convince you? Don't wear them if you don't like them. There are lots of fun and attractive options.

+1

You'll never, ever see me wearing a pair of split-toe shoes, and I am 100% okay with the probability of dying never having even tried on a pair.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ EG Dovers
devil.gif

escheriff

Reaction score
One reason to like them: Instant baller (the brown suede pair, mainly)

zdiego2os8.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went back and forth with them, but finally worked it out. a loafer like the alden LHS makes a great casual summer shoe in the summer. i don't wear them to work if i will be on display in any way ... quiet half day in the office is ok ... comfort and ease are too good to avoid forever but i still think they can be douchey on an older guy w/ a jacket and tie ... in other words not a go to shoe but a good one in the right time and places

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bit loafers are always douchey ... no metal jewelry on shoes plz

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

Disagree.

Don't like buckles then either huh?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've changed my mind about a lot of things since discovering SF, but loafers are never something I'll get into. I've never seen a outfit that wouldn't be improved by changing the shoes from loafers to lace ups.
peepwall[1].gif

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

I disagree, with the exception of having gaudy buckles or logos, then yes, its very douchey.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I've changed my mind about a lot of things since discovering SF, but loafers are never something I'll get into. I've never seen a outfit that wouldn't be improved by changing the shoes from loafers to lace ups.
peepwall[1].gif

Shortsand-Card.jpg

Not really a look I'm all that fond of, but changing the shoes to lace ups does NOT improve it.

Loafers are easy, comfortable, and look good with a wide range of outfits. I understand that you may be traumatized by wearing 'em day in and day out with a uniform, but they're really a respectable shoe.

Besides:
1960-bass.jpg

dasai

Reaction score
I have a hard time accepting the notion of loafers as looking good for any purpose. This may, however, be because the people who wear them in Japan are either high school students or salarymen (and the latter always wear black ones with sneaker-style soles).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads