1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Loafers? Boat shoes? Socks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Finsen, Jul 4, 2009.

1. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    Band aids and a higher tolerance for pain. Seriously, though, if the shoes are of good quality and fit well, this should not happen after a few wears.
    Yeah. That's what I was told. But I figured that I can't go wrong with Sperry's in the 11's that I wear with everything else and also having had the SA tell me that they were the right size. [​IMG]

What kind of no-show socks are those? Athletic no-show socks don't work very well with boat shoes or loafers since they sit too high.

Have you tried loafer-socks?

They're just some no-shows that I bought at Macy's. I believe they're made by Skechers? I looked around J&M's website but alas, I couldn't find the loafer-socks. You recommend them?
    just how low are they?

you can get the super-low socks that barely come over your toes and barely up your heels from Brooks Brothersr...or, for that matter (and since they won't be seen anyway) from Payless for $3.

They're not low enought. They still show a bit above the tongue and give off that weird, metro-fag look that I hate. [​IMG]

2. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

I've never seen them at Brooks. Link?

Yeah...I was thinking of the Banana Republic ones...my bad.

They're not low enought. They still show a bit above the tongue and give off that weird, metro-fag look that I hate. [​IMG]

Here are the BR ones...

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=555740012

Like I said, Payless carries the same thing by a brand called Dexter that has a similar cotton/nylon/spandex blend. They could stand to be the slightest bit longer, but in terms of height are completely invisible. They didn't slip off, but if you wear smaller than a size 10 (I'm a 10.5) I can't help but wonder if the might bunch when putting them on.

Cost...2 for $6

3. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Wear socks if you think your feet might get cold, especially on a boat. It is only necessary to delete socks with loafers when wearing shorts. Little short socks, in all their variations, are queerbait. (Probably something wrong with that...)

Little short socks are queerbait [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe it was the little shorts you wear and not the little short socks?[​IMG]

little short socks
    [​IMG]

little shorts
    [​IMG]

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Instead of getting "loafer socks", go to the women's sock section of any mass retail store and look for them. Sometimes they're called "invisible socks" or "sockettes". Obviously go 2 sizes up.

5. bkarmstrong

bkarmstrong Member

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

If you don't wear any shoe more than once a week it will not smell bad. The shoe dries out completely between wears and any bacteria living in the shoe dies of dehydration. If you are going to wear them day after day then you gotta worry!

7. atila

atila Senior member

I wear Sperry's all the time (when I'm not selling jewelry, of course) and I alternate between 3 pairs - no socks, and no smell.

The only time I ever wear socks with them are when I'm wearing jeans at night and it's a really cold night, and then I will wear thin black dress socks. Otherwise, 90% of the time, sockless.

8. Expressions Realia

Expressions Realia Well-Known Member

What are socks? Kidding, but with footwear like these, wearing socks looks/feels uncomfortable. Especially in warmer climate. Unless you have a good enough reason to need socks (w/ trousers in the cold, foot odor/fungus?), leave the socks in the drawer. :)