1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Loafer fit - too loose, or intended?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ziss, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can have patience with a question from a sartorially challenged. *clears throat*

I recently ordered a pair of penny loafers, and finally got them today. Thing is, I've never owned a pair of good loafers before (yes, yes I know), so I'm unsure how they are supposed to fit.

The length is good, I definitely can't go down in size or my toes will hurt. And they feel very comfortable standing and walking (very comfortable, in fact). What has me a bit worried is that I can quite easily step out of the shoe, as in lift my heel out of the shoe if I try, ...if that makes sense. It doesn't happen by accident, only if I try.

Now, I've been taught leather shoes stretch out a bit over time when wearing them, so I'm a slightly worried they'll eventually stretch out to the point where I'll accidentally step out of them while walking. Should I be worried or should I just enjoy my shoes?

I realize they're loafers, not laced shoes, so maybe they're supposed to fit this way. But as I said, they're my first pair of loafers, so I don't really know. Can anyone offer some advice?

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

It really depends on the thickness & quality of the leather. I've had loafers that ultimately flopped on my feet, whereas some hardly stretched at all.

3. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

I want my loafers fit snugly (not too tight, but snugly) straight out of box with a pair of thin socks. More or less, loafers will stretch a bit depends on leather quality & construction. Unlined will tend to stretch more easily.

Do you feel any heel slippages? How thick are your socks?

4. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

Lining is full leather. They're a pair of Church's Salisbury:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

(Don't hurt me for buying Prada! [​IMG] )

I'm wearing thin cotton socks. There's no heel slippage when walk I like I normally do. Slight slippage (as in, the heel lifts from the insole) when I walk putting more weight on the toes, like when you walk up stairs.

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

This is normal & those won't stretch too much if at all.

You'll get less slippage when the soles break in.

6. ysc

ysc Senior member

I have a pair of these in the black calf, and found the fit is somewhat loose for the size, but that is just how they are made and they work fine.

7. Ziss

Ziss Senior member

Exactly what I wanted to hear! [​IMG] Thanks for the replies everyone, you've been a great help!

1 person likes this.
  8. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can have patience with a question from a sartorially challenged. *clears throat*

I recently ordered a pair of penny loafers, and finally got them today. Thing is, I've never owned a pair of good loafers before (yes, yes I know), so I'm unsure how they are supposed to fit.

The length is good, I definitely can't go down in size or my toes will hurt. And they feel very comfortable standing and walking (very comfortable, in fact). What has me a bit worried is that I can quite easily step out of the shoe, as in lift my heel out of the shoe if I try, ...if that makes sense. It doesn't happen by accident, only if I try.

Now, I've been taught leather shoes stretch out a bit over time when wearing them, so I'm a slightly worried they'll eventually stretch out to the point where I'll accidentally step out of them while walking. Should I be worried or should I just enjoy my shoes?

I realize they're loafers, not laced shoes, so maybe they're supposed to fit this way. But as I said, they're my first pair of loafers, so I don't really know. Can anyone offer some advice?

How can you be a long time lurker if you joined in APRIL/09!! [​IMG]

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

How can you be a long time lurker if you joined in APRIL/09!! [​IMG]

Because you don't have to join to read the forum, you only need to join to post. [​IMG]

10. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Because you don't have to join to read the forum, you only need to join to post. [​IMG]

If I knew you were going to use logic..................................................... [​IMG]

11. chethondo

chethondo Well-Known Member

Question for the experts here. I have two pairs of Bass Weejun loafers. One is a 9 and one is a 9.5. The 9s feel good but my toes hit the end of the shoe when I walk - its not entirely uncomfortable but I know its not supposed to happen. There's no slipping in the heel with the 9s. In the 9.5s I have a tiny bit of toe room but there's slippage in the heel with a thin sock. Which would you keep?

Sorry I need a forum to help with my shoe size but I'm going to send one back and keep the other.

For reference I'm a 9.5 in Vans slip-ons, 9 in converse, 10 in most athletic shoes, and a 9.5. in clarks desert boots.

Thanks for your help!

12. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Question for the experts here. I have two pairs of Bass Weejun loafers. One is a 9 and one is a 9.5. The 9s feel good but my toes hit the end of the shoe when I walk - its not entirely uncomfortable but I know its not supposed to happen. There's no slipping in the heel with the 9s. In the 9.5s I have a tiny bit of toe room but there's slippage in the heel with a thin sock. Which would you keep?

Sorry I need a forum to help with my shoe size but I'm going to send one back and keep the other.

For reference I'm a 9.5 in Vans slip-ons, 9 in converse, 10 in most athletic shoes, and a 9.5. in clarks desert boots.

Thanks for your help!

Return the shoes where your toes touch the end, they are clearly too small.

13. sm31

sm31 Senior member

I've the same question: new (first) pair of loafers that have about a finger's worth of space in the heel, and which slip. Normal, or too big?

14. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

I've the same question: new (first) pair of loafers that have about a finger's worth of space in the heel, and which slip. Normal, or too big?

If your heels slip out when you walk in them, they are too big. The shoes I am wearing now fit well, and I can jam a finger in behind my heel if I really try, so I am not sure that measuring size in that way is ideal, but would also wager that if you can easily fit a finger behind the heel, it is probably too big.

15. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Loafers are for loafing. If you are doing a lot of walking, you are not loafing.

16. sm31

sm31 Senior member

Loafers are for loafing. If you are doing a lot of walking, you are not loafing.
    Yeah, good point.

17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Just got back from Paris. Got a very nice pair of scarlet red leather driving mocs in penny loafer style for only 45 Euros at a shop on Riveros street near the Louvre. They fit me a bit big but I put a pair of Dr Scholl's thin insoles in them and they are perfect now as well as more comfortable with a bit more padding beneath the sole. Try that for shoes that may be slightly too large and you get the double benefit of added comfort and better fit.

18. dl123

dl123 Active Member

I have a pair of versace loafers, you see how they sort of get really thin at the end, they're even thinner in real life. My foot obviously doesn't go in there because it's too long and too narrow. And I sized down. Is this normal? Foot doesn't come out when walking or anything.

[​IMG]

19. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

Loafer fit question... I just got my first pair of full straps and wondering if they're too big. I am generally a 10.5D, so that is the size I got. They are Aldens. They're second hand so the sole is well broken in. With mid-thickness socks the heels stay relatively well in place. There tend to be relatively large gaps in the sides of the shoe when I walk. I've attached some photos to show what I mean. Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality pics in horrible artificial light!

20. maiilovingit

maiilovingit New Member

Me too. I wondering is this normal for this design? My toe just can't manage to touch the end. Help please?