• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ziss

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can have patience with a question from a sartorially challenged. *clears throat*

I recently ordered a pair of penny loafers, and finally got them today. Thing is, I've never owned a pair of good loafers before (yes, yes I know), so I'm unsure how they are supposed to fit.

The length is good, I definitely can't go down in size or my toes will hurt. And they feel very comfortable standing and walking (very comfortable, in fact). What has me a bit worried is that I can quite easily step out of the shoe, as in lift my heel out of the shoe if I try, ...if that makes sense. It doesn't happen by accident, only if I try.

Now, I've been taught leather shoes stretch out a bit over time when wearing them, so I'm a slightly worried they'll eventually stretch out to the point where I'll accidentally step out of them while walking. Should I be worried or should I just enjoy my shoes?

I realize they're loafers, not laced shoes, so maybe they're supposed to fit this way. But as I said, they're my first pair of loafers, so I don't really know. Can anyone offer some advice?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the thickness & quality of the leather. I've had loafers that ultimately flopped on my feet, whereas some hardly stretched at all.

Ziss

Reaction score
Lining is full leather. They're a pair of Church's Salisbury:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

(Don't hurt me for buying Prada!
shog[1].gif
)

I'm wearing thin cotton socks. There's no heel slippage when walk I like I normally do. Slight slippage (as in, the heel lifts from the insole) when I walk putting more weight on the toes, like when you walk up stairs.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is normal & those won't stretch too much if at all.

You'll get less slippage when the soles break in.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of these in the black calf, and found the fit is somewhat loose for the size, but that is just how they are made and they work fine.

Ziss

Reaction score
Exactly what I wanted to hear!
smile.gif
Thanks for the replies everyone, you've been a great help!

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ziss
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can have patience with a question from a sartorially challenged. *clears throat*

I recently ordered a pair of penny loafers, and finally got them today. Thing is, I've never owned a pair of good loafers before (yes, yes I know), so I'm unsure how they are supposed to fit.

The length is good, I definitely can't go down in size or my toes will hurt. And they feel very comfortable standing and walking (very comfortable, in fact). What has me a bit worried is that I can quite easily step out of the shoe, as in lift my heel out of the shoe if I try, ...if that makes sense. It doesn't happen by accident, only if I try.

Now, I've been taught leather shoes stretch out a bit over time when wearing them, so I'm a slightly worried they'll eventually stretch out to the point where I'll accidentally step out of them while walking. Should I be worried or should I just enjoy my shoes?

I realize they're loafers, not laced shoes, so maybe they're supposed to fit this way. But as I said, they're my first pair of loafers, so I don't really know. Can anyone offer some advice?

How can you be a long time lurker if you joined in APRIL/09!!
smile.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
How can you be a long time lurker if you joined in APRIL/09!!
smile.gif

Because you don't have to join to read the forum, you only need to join to post.
teacha.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Because you don't have to join to read the forum, you only need to join to post.
teacha.gif

If I knew you were going to use logic.....................................................
smile.gif

chethondo

Reaction score
Question for the experts here. I have two pairs of Bass Weejun loafers. One is a 9 and one is a 9.5. The 9s feel good but my toes hit the end of the shoe when I walk - its not entirely uncomfortable but I know its not supposed to happen. There's no slipping in the heel with the 9s. In the 9.5s I have a tiny bit of toe room but there's slippage in the heel with a thin sock. Which would you keep?

Sorry I need a forum to help with my shoe size but I'm going to send one back and keep the other.

For reference I'm a 9.5 in Vans slip-ons, 9 in converse, 10 in most athletic shoes, and a 9.5. in clarks desert boots.

Thanks for your help!

glenjay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chethondo
Question for the experts here. I have two pairs of Bass Weejun loafers. One is a 9 and one is a 9.5. The 9s feel good but my toes hit the end of the shoe when I walk - its not entirely uncomfortable but I know its not supposed to happen. There's no slipping in the heel with the 9s. In the 9.5s I have a tiny bit of toe room but there's slippage in the heel with a thin sock. Which would you keep?

Sorry I need a forum to help with my shoe size but I'm going to send one back and keep the other.

For reference I'm a 9.5 in Vans slip-ons, 9 in converse, 10 in most athletic shoes, and a 9.5. in clarks desert boots.

Thanks for your help!

Return the shoes where your toes touch the end, they are clearly too small.

sm31

Reaction score
I've the same question: new (first) pair of loafers that have about a finger's worth of space in the heel, and which slip. Normal, or too big?

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm31
I've the same question: new (first) pair of loafers that have about a finger's worth of space in the heel, and which slip. Normal, or too big?

If your heels slip out when you walk in them, they are too big. The shoes I am wearing now fit well, and I can jam a finger in behind my heel if I really try, so I am not sure that measuring size in that way is ideal, but would also wager that if you can easily fit a finger behind the heel, it is probably too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads