• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafer: EG Ventnor or John Lobb Loafer

Biogentic

Reaction score
Hi eyeing on this 2 models with John Lobb Lopez obviously a lot more expensive. Would like to hear from the rest of which one you would go for?? I am obviously undecided... looking at the suede version only

Eucris

Reaction score
This is one of the very few times I would choose a JL over a EG equivalent.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi any reason behind it? Is the JL Lopez loafer better constructed?
Not sure what you mean better constructed. As far as I am aware both are machine welted. Choose the one you like the most if money is not an issue.

Biogentic

Reaction score
Oh I prefer well structured loafer so unsure is the John lobb Lopez loafer is better constructed or does it has a better quality leather than Edward green Ventnor?

Eucris

Reaction score
A key difference to note is the Ventor is unlined whilst the Lopez is currently offered as half lined & fully lined. Both makers do not compromise on quality, it really depends on your preference, so I'd suggest you heed to the advice given by Noblekostas.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, more importantly which loafer fits you better?!?!!?

the lopez does not fit me. too tight or too much heel slippage. But the EG Ventnor actually also does not fit me well now that I think about it :)

Biogentic

Reaction score
hi everyone thanks for your suggestion...I booked an Edward green Dover 606 last suede uk9.5 and an Edward green islington loafer in 137 last uk9.0 hopefully it fits me well. I only have the trickers bourton 4444 last in uk 9.5 width 5 for comparison and it fits me alight albeit slightly roomy but comfortable enough. Hopefully I do not have to return

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi everyone thanks for your suggestion...I booked an Edward green Dover 606 last suede uk9.5 and an Edward green islington loafer in 137 last uk9.0 hopefully it fits me well. I only have the trickers bourton 4444 last in uk 9.5 width 5 for comparison and it fits me alight albeit slightly roomy but comfortable enough. Hopefully I do not have to return
I thought you said in your last sizing post that your Tricker's were a 9? Personally I find my EG loafers to be a tighter fit than their laced counterparts, so I take the same size and they work for me.

In terms of aesthetics, I find Edward Green are nicer than JL (or any other manufacturer to be honest).

Biogentic

Reaction score
Hi any reason behind it? Is the JL Lopez loafer better constructed?
I thought you said in your last sizing post that your Tricker's were a 9? Personally I find my EG loafers to be a tighter fit than their laced counterparts, so I take the same size and they work for me.

In terms of aesthetics, I find Edward Green are nicer than JL (or any other manufacturer to be honest).
Hi my trickers bourton on the 4444 last is indeed size 9.. and you were saying I should go for Edward green Dover 606 last in uk9.5 since the 4444 last is quite generous. Hopefully you are right... the bourton is comfortable to wear out of box.. no pain at all and I find it just a little longer in length... I wanted to go for Dover uk 9 but very afraid it maybe too tight for me.. especially after extensive walking..
As for the Edward green loafer.. I chose uk9 because i am afraid of heel slippage and the longer in length

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to know what the fit is like on the loafers. I've tried a few of their lasts, but not the 137 that the Islington is on.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I seldom see any online retailers carrying Edward Green Islington... is it an unwanted model?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you want the Ventnor? Personally I wouldn't choose either. The Lopez is quite an ugly last and the Ventnor is very very casual when inspected in person.

I have owned in the past both the EG Duke (quite similar to the Lopez) which was alright for casual but too round for formal in my opinion, and the EG Pimlico which strangely enough was the complete opposite as they were on the 100 last which was too formal so I ended up selling them without wearing them.

I'd probably go with the EG Piccadilly / Belgravia if I were to choose now which seems, to me at least, on the perfect smart casual last; the 184.

However, seen as you like the look of the Lopez why not consider the EG Duke? Have you considered Gaziano & Girling / Cleverley? Probably too shapely again perhaps...The G&G Capri is basically a nicer Ventnor in my opinion and costs less.

I'd also echo the sentiments of not sizing down for EG loafers.

Last edited:

Biogentic

Reaction score
I forgo the John lobb Lopez and Edward green Ventnor and go for the Edward green Islington. I am using it for casual only. Too bad the Edward Green Piccadilly nor Belgravia is available in my size. Nonetheless thePiccadilly and Duke will my next pair likely to be in calf leather.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Righto. Loafers without a saddle have always looked a little weird to me but de gustibus non disputandum est etc.

For what it's worth you can find the Ventnor for about 30% off right now colour depending.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads