• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
I know there are many threads on loafer sizing but I've been having trouble with getting the right fit. So I recently bought a pair of OSB Beefroll Penny loafers in size 10D. I was recently re-measured on a Brannock at Allen Edmonds and my left foot is a 9.5E while my right is a 9.5D. The OSB's are not snug but my feet are touching either side of the loafers. With the length, I have extra room so I have heel slip, maybe my feet slip around an inch up, but not completely out of them.

I previously owned a pair of Alden loafers (Aberdeen last) in 9.5D that were too narrow, but my heel would at times completely slip out despite them being the right length.

I was thinking maybe if I went with a 9.5E maybe this would fix the problem? But would this them lead to problems in my right foot? (Too much room, width wise)

I'm probably overthinking all of this but I just can't seem to get a good fit with loafers. I'm currently trying to sell the OSB's but I'm wondering if maybe I should keep them and see how they wear over time. I was recommended tongue pads which seem to help only a little bit.

Any suggestions/tips are very welcome!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loafers are finicky; if they don't work out of the box you'll probably always have issues. Regarding the Aberdeen pair, I found it to have a wide heel compared to the forefoot. That could have been your problem.
If you brannock a 9.5E, I'd start there. You might even have to go down to 9E, depending on the last. That's the big question: are you trying OSB again or another maker? Either way, I'd start with the manufacturer's recommended sizing from brannock (some say half down or width narrower, some TTS). My left foot is larger as well (11.5EE/11EE), and I'll say you need to cater to the larger or you'll regret it. Your case of being wider not longer, you may be able to manage a 9.5D and stretch the left shoe, but I'd still say start with 9.5E. It may take a bit of trial and error to see what works best for you.

JohnPatShop

Reaction score
Halfway out is too much heel slip!

If you're into paying retail price, Allen Edmonds used to and still might sell you a single pair with two different sized shoes for an SMU upcharge, between $40 (the amount for a sole upgrade) and $110 or $150. It's expensive, but it's a real option. Nordstrom did this for years at no upcharge on expensive shoes, as far as I know.

You could also buy those heel spacer pads or ask for free samples at Allen Edmonds.

I'm going through similar loafer problems; The fit will never be right on my smaller foot. With socks I'm fine, but with loafer socks, I get so much heel slip in my left foot that my ankle rubs raw. I'm realizing my left foot is smaller by enough difference that I could justify buying full price to get the left shoe half a size smaller than the right.

For fit in general, the toes have to have extra space because these shoe have to hug your heels. They're designed to have too much toe room.when sized appropriately at the heel and ball of your foot.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're into paying retail price, Allen Edmonds used to and still might sell you a single pair with two different sized shoes for an SMU upcharge, between $40 (the amount for a sole upgrade) and $110 or $150. It's expensive, but it's a real option. Nordstrom did this for years at no upcharge on expensive shoes, as far as I know.

You could also buy those heel spacer pads or ask for free samples at Allen Edmonds.

I'm going through similar loafer problems; The fit will never be right on my smaller foot. With socks I'm fine, but with loafer socks, I get so much heel slip in my left foot that my ankle rubs raw. I'm realizing my left foot is smaller by enough difference that I could justify buying full price to get the left shoe half a size smaller than the right.

For fit in general, the toes have to have extra space because these shoe have to hug your heels. They're designed to have too much toe room.when sized appropriately at the heel and ball of your foot.
It's iffy from AE right now, but Rancourt will definitely do different sizes. You select left and right sizes even on their online custom selector.

I've not tried the heel pads, but I've avoided as everyone says they cause more problems since they push your foot out of the heel cup and you further lose its heel gripping ability.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
Loafers are finicky; if they don't work out of the box you'll probably always have issues. Regarding the Aberdeen pair, I found it to have a wide heel compared to the forefoot. That could have been your problem.
If you brannock a 9.5E, I'd start there. You might even have to go down to 9E, depending on the last. That's the big question: are you trying OSB again or another maker? Either way, I'd start with the manufacturer's recommended sizing from brannock (some say half down or width narrower, some TTS). My left foot is larger as well (11.5EE/11EE), and I'll say you need to cater to the larger or you'll regret it. Your case of being wider not longer, you may be able to manage a 9.5D and stretch the left shoe, but I'd still say start with 9.5E. It may take a bit of trial and error to see what works best for you.

Since there is a store near me, I'm thinking of going with Allen Edmonds for now until I begin to learn how the sizing works for me. I found a pair of Randolph's that have been worn in size 9.5D (for a very good price I should add), but I'm going to try them in store sometime this week to see how they fit. I just wonder if a worn pair will fit me that much differently than a new pair? The guy at AE seemed to know his stuff so I'll be sure to ask him as well.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score

I feel as though it would be a lot of trouble (and money) to have the two different sizes, but it's an option. I have tongue pads in the OSB's but they only seemed to help a little. I'm just not feeling a nice firm hug of the ball of my foot or the heel, so just from that I had a feeling they weren't quite right. Then when I started walking it felt even less right. I feel as though trying on different sizes at AE will help with getting a feel on how a pair of loafers should fit.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since there is a store near me, I'm thinking of going with Allen Edmonds for now until I begin to learn how the sizing works for me. I found a pair of Randolph's that have been worn in size 9.5D (for a very good price I should add), but I'm going to try them in store sometime this week to see how they fit. I just wonder if a worn pair will fit me that much differently than a new pair? The guy at AE seemed to know his stuff so I'll be sure to ask him as well.
Which store?

Depending on the previous owner, they could feel quite different. They could have too wide if a foot and stretched them, or they could have been a perfect fit.
https://www.styleforum.net/ams/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help.124455/
This is a good start for sizing. Neo suggests one size narrower for the 2042 last (Randolph). I agree it's a good starting point based on my findings as well. So, the 9.5D MAY work well.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
Which store?

Depending on the previous owner, they could feel quite different. They could have too wide if a foot and stretched them, or they could have been a perfect fit.
https://www.styleforum.net/ams/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help.124455/
This is a good start for sizing. Neo suggests one size narrower for the 2042 last (Randolph). I agree it's a good starting point based on my findings as well. So, the 9.5D MAY work well.

The person selling them said he is a 10D. So I feel as though these should fit me well? Correct me if I'm thinking through it wrong

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The person selling them said he is a 10D. So I feel as though these should fit me well? Correct me if I'm thinking through it wrong
It's worth a try as they're the suggested starting size. They may work; his foot is a bit narrower but also a bit longer than yours. Not exceptionally so, though. You'll have a bit different break in period than with a new shoe as you remold the footbed to your foot. I picked up a pair recently that the PO's foot was different enough I decided I've got too many shoes I like more to fight through the break in and am going to pass them along. I do suggest you at least do a really thorough alcohol wiping of the inside. I also have a UV shoe light, but I've bought many preowned shoes.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
It's worth a try as they're the suggested starting size. They may work; his foot is a bit narrower but also a bit longer than yours. Not exceptionally so, though. You'll have a bit different break in period than with a new shoe as you remold the footbed to your foot. I picked up a pair recently that the PO's foot was different enough I decided I've got too many shoes I like more to fight through the break in and am going to pass them along. I do suggest you at least do a really thorough alcohol wiping of the inside. I also have a UV shoe light, but I've bought many preowned shoes.

It's hard buying through a private seller, especially when they don't take returns. I'll do more research and visit the AE near me but it would probably be less of a hassle to save up a little extra and buy brand new and know I bought the right size. If I do buy second hand I'll be sure to clean them out very thoroughly. I appreciate your help!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hard buying through a private seller, especially when they don't take returns. I'll do more research and visit the AE near me but it would probably be less of a hassle to save up a little extra and buy brand new and know I bought the right size. If I do buy second hand I'll be sure to clean them out very thoroughly. I appreciate your help!
You may consider seconds (from one of the AE thread approved SAs), and definitely wait for a sale. You shouldn't have to pay over $300 for calf AE.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
You may consider seconds (from one of the AE thread approved SAs), and definitely wait for a sale. You shouldn't have to pay over $300 for calf AE.

Is that under classifieds or the AE Appreciation thread? If you could link it I’d appreciate it!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that under classifieds or the AE Appreciation thread? If you could link it I’d appreciate it!
You're certainly welcome over at the AE thread, but it moves fast!
Seconds are from AE directly; there's a group of outlet stores called shoe bank. http://shoebank.com I personally use Kristen at the Paramus store, but Ashley at the Charleston store is excellent as well. You can't buy directly through the website, but you can contact one of them and they can look over the shoes before you purchase to make sure they're good. I've gotten some better quality seconds from Kristen than some firsts. They both know me by my screen name here as well.
And of course, there is almost always a sale for calf firsts that knocks them down to $249 or $299 or something if you'd prefer working with the sales associate you've been talking with.

RoosyRooster

Reaction score
You're certainly welcome over at the AE thread, but it moves fast!
Seconds are from AE directly; there's a group of outlet stores called shoe bank. http://shoebank.com I personally use Kristen at the Paramus store, but Ashley at the Charleston store is excellent as well. You can't buy directly through the website, but you can contact one of them and they can look over the shoes before you purchase to make sure they're good. I've gotten some better quality seconds from Kristen than some firsts. They both know me by my screen name here as well.
And of course, there is almost always a sale for calf firsts that knocks them down to $249 or $299 or something if you'd prefer working with the sales associate you've been talking with.

I tried looking for a pair of Randolph’s but it seems as though there aren’t any seconds at the moment? Is this something you have to check up on fairly often to find a pair or am I searching wrong?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads