• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LNC tailors in NYC - pics.......

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I stated before, a friend is trying out LNC Tailors in Chinatown here in NYC. He purchased his own fabric and they did CMT for $500. Suits with their in stock fabrics run $650 (they have Scabal, Barberis, Huddersfield and some other English fabrics ranging from super 100's to 130's). They seem to be end bolts as once he runs out of a fabric, it's gone. The cut of the suit was decide upon by my friend. He was interested in more of a Brooks cut then a severe British cut. Everything, except the pick stitching, is done by hand in a small back room. Anyway, here are the pics:

Picture530.jpg

Picture532.jpg

Picture531.jpg

Picture528.jpg

Picture525.jpg

Picture526.jpg

Picture529.jpg

Picture527.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat seems to fit him nicely. The trousers and pleats could be better. The tailor should have cut off the selvedge - make sure he does this in the future.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Was he wearing a belt for the fitting of the trousers?

How many fittings did your friend have? I may have to give them a try.

EDIT, and question of questions, do you think you'll use them, yourself?

No.
3 fittings.
No, because since finding this forum, I have been spoiled and my style and standards have gone up. LNC does good work but I am looking for an Italian (or maybe British military) cut and I think that is something that they cannot do. If your taste run towards American with some more structure than Brooks, then he would be tough to beat given the price. I am going to search NYC high and low until I find someone who can do what I am looking for under four figures. I will also give Dung tailors in Vietnam a try but I am tempering my expectations since there will be no fittings, some issues are bound to arise.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
The coat seems to fit him nicely. The trousers and pleats could be better. The tailor should have cut off the selvedge - make sure he does this in the future.

If these tailors are from Hong Kong which I am almost 100% certain they are, old school tailors from Hong Kong always left the selvedge on to prove to the customer that the cloth the client chose is in fact the cloth used in the suit and not some knock off fabric. The selvedge part of the cloth would used in the wool hidden inside the pockets of the pants, the inside pocket of the suit etc.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the search of tailors in Manhattan, does anyone have experience with Wong's Tailor? They opened a nice store front on Stone St. across from the Goldman Sachs building.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
If these tailors are from Hong Kong which I am almost 100% certain they are, old school tailors from Hong Kong always left the selvedge on to prove to the customer that the cloth the client chose is in fact the cloth used in the suit and not some knock off fabric. The selvedge part of the cloth would used in the wool hidden inside the pockets of the pants, the inside pocket of the suit etc.

That's logical, but the practice is still wrong. The selvedge ha different qualities from the fabric and will react differently over the long run.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I recently heard that the two partners at LNC are going topart ways. They are not taking on new customers at the moment. Or so I have been told.

Carl

Yes and no. The gentleman in the pictures is retiring in a month. His expectation is that his partner will continue the business. They are taking customers, at least as of yesterday. Carl, your knowledge of shirtmaking is only surpassed by your knowledge of NYC tailors
smile.gif
Any insight on Mr. David on sixth avenue?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
In the search of tailors in Manhattan, does anyone have experience with Wong's Tailor? They opened a nice store front on Stone St. across from the Goldman Sachs building.

The suits in their window seem a little boxy, although I haven't examined them up close. They have a sign for MTM shirts I think. I haven't seen any customers in there but then again I usually walk by around 9:30.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Chan does that too, at least on the suits picked up in HK.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
As I stated before, a friend is trying out LNC Tailors in Chinatown here in NYC. He purchased his own fabric and they did CMT for $500.

What does 'CMT' mean? Is that like 'COM' (Customer's Own Merchandise)?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut, Make, Trim. Tailoring with cloth and perhaps trim supplied by the customer.

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
That's logical, but the practice is still wrong. The selvedge ha different qualities from the fabric and will react differently over the long run.

How so? In what way will the selvedge react differently?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not recall seeing clothes with selvedge attached in Chan's HK shop, though I would not be surprised if they did this, too.

The selvedge is not woven identically to the fabric. I have no experience with what may happen if it is left on, but a good authority notes that it will pucker in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads