1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LNC tailors in NYC - pics.......

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

the navy windowpane the navy windowpane

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I know, I know. But if I go with the navy windowpane first, I won't be able to wear it for something like 5 months. And that's no fun. I may try just a jacket from the wool/silk blend, or if I can get something nice from Tip Top, a pair of trousers. $150 for custom trousers = awesome.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Will LNC do CMT? If so, they sound like they're worth a try for odd trousers.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

LNC will do pretty much whatever you want. Comparing their workmanship to and old Mr. Ned suit that I have at home, I think Mr. Ned gets a slight edge workmanship wise and I will probably go with him rather than LNC, also NEd will be easier to communicate with. The one thing that neither one of these two guys do, though, is put that rubber-like strip around the inside waistband that helps keep the shirt in. Anyone know what that is called?

Chorse, we'll compare suits and details once they are both done. Also, you might want to get there sooner rather than later as LNC mentioned that May would be his last month and he was not 100% sure that his partner (who speaks worse English) will continue the business.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Ah, right. If they close down in May, there's a lot less motivation to try them out. A one-off pair of trousers is much less compelling than an ongoing local source for cheap CMT trousers or something along the lines of a Jantzen for trousers.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Keep in mind that I said "might" not continue the business. I would at least go and inquire about the situation. You can call on the phone but his English is not too strong and he does not seem to like to talk on the phone too much.

edit: Just heard from my friend who picked up his LNC suit last night. LNC told him that they will be closing next month and if you use the fabrics that they have left in the store, they are pricing stuff to move.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Damn. You'd think he might have mentioned that to me this morning. Well, it's either hurry up or not at all, I guess.

8. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Seems like a good value. I wonder if they could do a nice British cut with high armholes and suppressed waist. So jealous of you all for being in a town with great menswear shops...

EDIT: Your friend gets brownie points for getting single forward pleats, despite that they seem a bit big for my taste.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm having LNC make me a pair of trousers as a bit of a trial run. Mr. LNC said they'll be done in a week. Tailoring charge was $80.

Also, he said he's retiring and will close in June, not May. But he said he has a friend he could send me to.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

If his friend is similarly priced, that would be a very useful name to know.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'll share it if/when I get the info.

The proof is in the pudding, of course, but I'm pretty excited about LNC, and disappointed about them closing. This is a resource I wish I'd found a while ago, and I'm surprised it's flown under the radar a little. When I came in the shop, the old man had the cut and heavily chalked pieces for a pair of trousers out on the counter and was about to work on them.

The older guy's english is not spectacular, but we were able to communicate pretty well. He was happy to meet my requirements, with one exception: he said he couldn't do d-ring side adjusters, but would a button extender instead. It may be a little more difficult for a suit, and it would probably be best to bring pictures and/or wear a suit with the silhouette you prefer. Maybe next week... [​IMG]

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Yeah, I would give LNC a try for trousers, too, if they weren't closing in a few months. It's not worth the risk for me if there's no potential for them as a longer term source for cheap trousers.

13. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I'm having LNC make me a pair of trousers as a bit of a trial run. Mr. LNC said they'll be done in a week. Tailoring charge was $80.

Also, he said he's retiring and will close in June, not May. But he said he has a friend he could send me to.

Is that COM?

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Yes-I had a yard and a half of grey Vitale Barberis 120s tropical wool. I don't know why he charged me $80 - he says he normally charges $85. It was a little weird.

15. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Yes-I had a yard and a half of grey Vitale Barberis 120s tropical wool. I don't know why he charged me $80 - he says he normally charges $85. It was a little weird.

Are you using LNC for your ebay material? I am especially interested in the windowpane you purchased and your plans for that.

16. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Maybe, depends on how these trousers turn out, and on when I use it.

17. Lino

Lino Senior member

18. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Don't know anything about Wong's. There was an article in the Times a couple months ago about a writer having an Armani suit copied at Mr. Yan's International Tailor Company at 98 Mott Street. I have no idea about the quality, but the guy can't be all bad, because he had this to say ''Armani no good, not professional.'' The writer was charged $620 for a two piece, including material. Edit: and the article, which you now have to pay for, can be found here for free: http://bbs.taishan.com/viewtopic.php...139b78e62decc2

19. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Had a fitting today at LNC for my pair of trousers. They met all my requests, and the fit was pretty good. The waist was too big, even on the tighter button. They're making the alteration and I'll pick up tomorrow. Work seems to be good but not phenomenal, though the trousers are remarkably light. Very good for summer. More thoughts and pics to come later.

20. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Picked up my trousers today at LNC. I'm a little mixed on them. The construction is solid--the buttonholes on the waist and fly are all hand sewn, and the work in general is pretty good--but the fit could be improved. They wrinkle under the seat, and the pockets gape a little. That's covered when I wear a jacket, but I won't always be wearing these with a jacket. This coat, by the way, is the linen/wool/silk blend I bought at the Hickey Freeman sample sale. I also wish that I'd ordered these trousers with cuffs, since the wool is so light. For $80 (tailoring), I'm generally satisfied. But I don't know that I'm going to be rushing back to LNC before the end of May.

[​IMG] [​IMG]