LLOYD Shoes - thoughts, opinions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Surreal, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Surreal

Surreal Senior member

I went through all shoe stores in my city and the only one where I could find almost perfect shoes was the LLOYD store. I was looking for brown oxford wingtips btw.

The prices are affordable and the shoes look good quality. However, I have yet to buy a pair of lloyd shoes.

I'd like to know what you think about this company.

Here's their website:
    http://www.lloyd-shoes.com

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

They look like your typical gaudy, fashion footwear. I would personally stay away from any shoemaker that has "Trend", "Classic" and "Sport" collections.

3. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Buy several pairs and do a full write-up, please.

4. jhof5421

jhof5421 Active Member

Some of the worst shoes I've ever bought unfortunately. Haven't made the same mistake again.

5. Contango

Contango Senior member

I have a couple of pairs bought back in the mid '90s. The best shoes I've ever bought. One pair would've done me for well over 1000's wears (obviously with a re-sole) and still look great. Same goes for others I know who bought around the same time.

6. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Way overpriced and not too nice. I owned some shoes from them but the quality has gone downhill a lot so I'd say stay away. A pair of Lloyd runs you around 100 - 150 EUR when you could have a Loake 1880 for under 200 EUR or the typical forum brands for a little more.
    Unfortunately they have very good marketing and are available as the "top line" shoe in most shoe stores here in Germany.

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Horrible shoes. Stay away as far as you can!

8. Surreal

Surreal Senior member

What could you recommend as an alternative?

I mention lloyd because this is the only store that I found in my city that has shoes that are close to what you see on styleforum and do not cost 2000$. I am looking for brown oxford wingtips. I went to the Patrick Hellmann store and yes, everything there was perfect, but I'm willing to spend maximum 300$ per shoes. And that's a lot for a student here.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

What could you recommend as an alternative?

I mention lloyd because this is the only store that I found in my city that has shoes that are close to what you see on styleforum and do not cost 2000$. I am looking for brown oxford wingtips. I went to the Patrick Hellmann store and yes, everything there was perfect, but I'm willing to spend maximum 300$ per shoes. And that's a lot for a student here.

Where are you from?

I understand the aim to try stuff on in person, especially shoes, but I would have a look at Loake shoes. Maybe you can even find them in your city, otherwise I can recommend herringshoes.co.uk or if you want a German based online shop try http://www.loake-schuhe.de/ .

They are a 100 times better than LLOYD shoes and don't cost much more. And the owners of both shops mentioned above are very helpful in regard of sizing information.

But of course for some people online shoe purchases never work out well.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Lloyds are comfortable but the soles are glued with contact cement ...not even Blake stitched for that price

11. Surreal

Surreal Senior member

Where are you from?

I understand the aim to try stuff on in person, especially shoes, but I would have a look at Loake shoes. Maybe you can even find them in your city, otherwise I can recommend herringshoes.co.uk or if you want a German based online shop try http://www.loake-schuhe.de/ .

They are a 100 times better than LLOYD shoes and don't cost much more. And the owners of both shops mentioned above are very helpful in regard of sizing information.

But of course for some people online shoe purchases never work out well.

I think Loake is nowhere to be around where I live. We have some Ermenegildo Zegna here. Maybe I should try that?

12. timotune

timotune Senior member

13. Morgan Woods

Morgan Woods Member

I would agree....I had a pair in the 90's that were great, but just spent $400 on a pair of Lodz classic and the sole is already coming apart after a few weeks of wear around the Sydney CBD. They are made in Romania, not Germany. Complete waste of money.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  14. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

St Crispins are made in Romania too - quality is not geo based, but dependent on how the client will build the production brief. Do not in the same basket CE Europe with China - there is a tradition of craftsmanship and industrial that goes back for centuries.

15. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Lloyd used to make decent shoes and then gradually went down the drains. Today you get cheap leather and lots of glue in combination with ugly lasts. Their story is a German version of the Johnston & Murphy decline.

In summary: Stay away!