• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

cathpah

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life.

Is it just me, or is this S/S collection really boring and bad? I'm usually a big fan of Signature and own quite a lot of it, but this season seems to have really fallen flat, imho.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bringing this thread back to life.

Is it just me, or is this S/S collection really boring and bad?  I'm usually a big fan of Signature and own quite a lot of it, but this season seems to have really fallen flat, imho.

I think it's been pretty boring since right after it's inception. I have quite a few items from a few years ago and have been pleased with the quality (if not always the cost:quality ratio) but they've failed at really putting out anything unique each season. To me, the main selling point remains that you can get some of the LL Bean staples in sizes that don't fit like tents like they do in the mainline. I wish they would expand it a bit more...

My wife on the other hand really likes their women's dresses, skirts, and sweaters and keeps ordering from them.

cathpah

Reaction score
I think it's been pretty boring since right after it's inception. I have quite a few items from a few years ago and have been pleased with the quality (if not always the cost:quality ratio) but they've failed at really putting out anything unique each season. To me, the main selling point remains that you can get some of the LL Bean staples in sizes that don't fit like tents like they do in the mainline. I wish they would expand it a bit more...

My wife on the other hand really likes their women's dresses, skirts, and sweaters and keeps ordering from them.
I've found a few pieces each season that seem to be pretty great. I like a lot of their shirting in the fall, and like their Jackman olive suede bluchers that they released last year, but there's just *nothing* this season that's even remotely exciting. It's LL Bean, so I don't expect it to be groundbreaking or life changing, but I do look to the signature collection to be a nice twist on classics, both in fit and in material. Their current line just looks like mainline stuff this summer.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kopped the Boatyard Jacket a few weeks ago and I REALLY like it. Great price, it'd be 2x that at J. Crew.

Billy Brasky

Reaction score
Hey all, nice seeing this thread here. I picked up the Jackman Ranger Mocs at the LL Bean outlet and love them.

As people have said here the latest Signature line stuff hasn't been quite the same once Alex Carleton left for Filson but there are some items that still work for me.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this an older LL Bean Signature label? It's too new to be vintage (+ MiChina), yet this isn't the current label (all caps sans serif logo).

(Dang that's blurry.)

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this an older LL Bean Signature label? It's too new to be vintage (+ MiChina), yet this isn't the current label (all caps sans serif logo).

(Dang that's blurry.)

Yes, that was their logo when they first launched it a couple years ago. Now, it's all an afterthought...

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, that was their logo when they first launched it a couple years ago. Now, it's all an afterthought...

It's funny because Signature is front and center (first thing you see when you walk in the door) at the store near me. It's not like Brooks where they tuck Red Fleece in the back corner.

Anyway, I picked this guy up thrifting. Good replacement for a Lands End Canvas (RIP) pullover that I bought before I realized I'm actually size large, not medium.

Alexidb

Reaction score
It’s too bad the signature line has kinda been cut back to almost nil. I have a nice cord suit and some 20% silk flannel shirts from the first few years.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me as another who really enjoyed the early days of the Signature line. I still have a couple lightweight madras shirts and the Signature version of classic LL Bean chore coat in the regular rotation. And I actually have that blue sweater that @Van Veen posted above (4+ years ago!!!) and that one and a blue and red Signature Norwegian sweater are probably my most frequently worn sweaters over the past 5 or 6 years.

The Signature line was fantastic for its first few seasons and then they just let it fade away into oblivion. I think LL Bean was probably a bit late to the game with trying to market to the workwear/Americana hipster crowds. I still wish they would have taken some of the ideas from the Signature line, namely the more fitted shirts and sweaters, and carried that over into their mainline stuff a bit more.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy necropost!

But yeah, I still have that sweater and love it, especially now that I’ve moved to a warmer client. My heavy sweaters don’t get much use.

I also have a mainline, post-signature Norwegian that’s 100% wool and relatively fitted.

Alexidb

Reaction score
They do offer slimmer fits in some of their mainline stuff now. It’s hot or miss on some of their sizing.

Billy Brasky

Reaction score
They do offer slimmer fits in some of their mainline stuff now. It’s hot or miss on some of their sizing.

I'm lucky enough to live near flagship store, and still occasionally pick up signature line items. Sizing is all over the place, would never order anything online. The signature chamois are really great, have a couple that have lasted 4yrs.

Feel that local reaction to this collab is quite disappointing. There's already been a lot of criticism on almost everything being outsourced overseas, and drop in quality etc, and now that they are venturing into this world it may completely turn away the customers that are on the edge.

Side note, I actually have a MiUSA oxford button down that's 40yo (was my Dad's) that I still wear here and there.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The revival of this thread made me curious as to what ever happened to Rogue's Gallery/Alex Carleton. It looks like he moved on to Filson shortly after his stint at Bean ended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads