• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

erikl

Reaction score
Could you update us on how these are holding up? Any current photos showing them with some wear-in? Thanks!

Here's some pics of the Crepe Sole Moc Boot in Navy.

There were pretty cheap using the 30% + free shipping stacked codes.

Fit wise they are the same length as the work boot but are roomier in the toe box. I bought a 9.5D. I am a 10 in Nike/Addidas running shoes, 9.5 in Jack purcells, and 9 in Red Wing Boots.

Pros:

-This is the boot to get if you have wide feet (even if these are only offered in D width). There is plenty of room in the forefoot. I tried on Yuketen Boots last Dec and they were actually pretty tight in the toe box (even with my normal D width feet).

- the crepe sole is like walking on golfing greens - super soft and you can feel the ground too.

- there is a substantial/comfortable insole thats leather with padding.

- over all construction and quality is great. the leather is soft and color is nice. the laces are rawhide and dyed blue to match the shoe. Its thicker leather compared to the work boot and needs a little breaking in compared to the no break in period of the Work Boot.

Cons:

- compared to the sleeker yuketens they are more clunky. This can be a plus for comfort wise if you have wider feet, but the yuketens are cooler looking because they really hug your whole foot and ankle (actually are a bit binding).

- I have a feeling the crepe sole will not last (this is obvious because well its crepe).

- They are hard to put on and take off quickly.

- they aren't totally waterproofed, just like the work boot the tongue isn't connected/webbed its total length.

So thats about it. color wise the blue is nice. I would have bought the browns but I already have the brown work boots so I wanted to mix it up.

Hopefully there's no more snow/blizzards. I don't really care about needing boots for the rest of this year.

5474146198_1499d9096a_z.jpg

5474146462_97ae3fb1b0_z.jpg

5473548283_d4a8d17851_z.jpg

5474146894_0038fe8e56_z.jpg

5473548873_d24bb4a66e_z.jpg

5474147546_7663df6dca_z.jpg

rpiotr01

Reaction score
It's still going. Some notable hits, but mostly IMO uninspired misses. I'm a big LLB fan generally but the Signature line has been a disappointment. Real shame.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Agreed, Signature is a disappointment. I have a few things from this line (sweater, rugby, chamois shirt, etc.) and they are all pretty awesome in terms of quality. But the fits aren't slim enough to attract the fashion crowd and the prices aren't low enough to attract the bargain crowd. Plus they only come out with 15-20 items per year, so there's little reason to check back in to see what's new. So much lost potential here. I do hope Signature sticks around long term since the pieces that do fit me are terrific.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have their Searsport Flannel trousers. They drop to $100 on sale once or twice a year but even at MSRP or $125 they are a decent value. I own some wool flannel trousers from LLB's standard line and they are fairly well made but much too baggy. I'm a pretty big guy and the Searsport offers a nice compromise between slim and baggy. The worsted wool trousers have a similar fit to the Flannels and have held up nicely over a couple of yrs now. I think they were called tropical weight but they are a 3 season weight

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pass through Freeport about quarterly. I love that they alter for free while you wait. They only issue is that they do not like cuffs over 1.25" or a length that doesn't pool around one's ankles. I had an SA add a half inch to the chalk mark when he wrote down the inseam for the seamstress. He kept asking me if I was *sure* I wanted them *sooooo* short.

Last edited:

rpiotr01

Reaction score
One thing that bugs me is that all of their jeans and cords are button fly. Not that it's a huge deal, but why? They actually have a nice trim fit to them, but sometimes you just want a zipper.

For another thing, seems like 3/4 of their shirts are some kind of plaid. That's great, but regular LLB sells tons of plaid shirts, all you want. Why double-up like that?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased the Bean Waxed Canvas boots in Marsh Brown? I just received a pair and the color looks significantly different from that of the website... more an olive color. Wondering if they sent me the wrong pair. Anyone?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you update us on how these are holding up? Any current photos showing them with some wear-in? Thanks!

the moc boots stretched out to the point where they seemed like a whole size bigger than original. I called customer service and they offered a replacement/refund. I wanted to try out getting a half size smaller (to compensate for the eventual stretching out), but the didn't have any in stock so I decided on a refund. Water would eventually sneak into the moc seams. Hopefully those issues were corrected, I still loved them, but if I'm going to wear a boot like that its going to be because the weather is nasty outside and need them to be weather proof.

the waxed canvas duck boot has been great though. I used them for everything this winter. they're ugly and ubiquitous, but are a lot lighter compared to the regular leather versions. sizing is tricky though: i can wear a 10 in sneakers, 9.5 in boots, but went all the way down to a size 8 in the duck boots (since I wear a very thin wool sock 100% of the time).

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of the L.L. Bean Signature Jackman Blucher Mocs. Pics:

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any of you purchased the Bean Waxed Canvas boots in Marsh Brown? I just received a pair and the color looks significantly different from that of the website... more an olive color. Wondering if they sent me the wrong pair. Anyone?

Had the same feeling when I received mine. I think the color on the website is not true to life.

TDOT

Reaction score
10% off your purchase on both LLB and LLBS going on right now until the 8th.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kopped and just received a pair of the Hawthorn Boots that are new this season. Overall, I'm impressed. At ~$200 they're pretty decent quality, Goodyear welted, etc. Made in El Salvador like a lot of Bean footwear. They fit TTS. Recommended!

Last edited:

OneBeLo

Reaction score
I wish they kept the the darker brown color from last years model too. Looks like a nice boot for sure. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads