Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

LL Bean Norwegian Sweater

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarinetplayer, Oct 16, 2009.

1. robin

robin Senior member

What are the features of a norwegian sweater? Are they warmer than a scottish fisherman sweater?
    Serious? [​IMG] It's just a name to connotate the region the style came from.

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

What are the features of a norwegian sweater? Are they warmer than a scottish fisherman sweater?

I have a Barbour "fisherman" sweater, and I would say that it is more bulky than a "Norwegian" sweater. The "Norwegian" sweater--only so called because it is made in Norway--is a heavy sweater. It is plenty warm.

3. hypostatic

hypostatic Well-Known Member

I'd actually argue that the Norwegian would be significantly warmer. I have several Scottish "fisherman" sweaters (having lived there for a year!), and find they are in no way resistant to wind. While warm, they are knit very loosely, and so quite permeable to wind. The Norwegian sweater offers a very tight, solid knit.

I wonder how this one fits - any advice would be great!

4. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

What's the recommened method for washing the Norwegian sweater? Soak/Hang Dry ? Conventional cold wash in a machine/Hang Dry ? Dry Clean ? I guess the same method would apply to any garmet that is truly 100% wool.

5. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Yea, you would think that Norwegian fisherman must watch Mad Men and read The Sartiorialist when they are done mending their nets.

I missed this gem..

[​IMG]

6. abcx

abcx Well-Known Member

Is this made in a plain style too, perhaps? That design is too garrish for me.

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I would expect the quality to be there; but is the fit any slimmer, higher arm holes, etc.?

I had heard that the new version was going to be more slim-fit than the original. Although I highly doubt it will meet the SF definition of "slim fit".

8. mimile

mimile Senior member

What's the recommened method for washing the Norwegian sweater? Soak/Hang Dry ? Conventional cold wash in a machine/Hang Dry ? Dry Clean ? I guess the same method would apply to any garmet that is truly 100% wool.

I hand wash with cold water and Woolite, then soak twice and finally let dry in a flat position (hanging changes their shape). I never wash them in a machine or dry clean them. I do this once or twice a year. No problems ever.

9. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I've got a bunch of Dale sweaters. Really nice, but you need it to be cold....
    I've been thinking of getting one with one with a lining to use for skiing on nice days. Are they really as good as the hype?

10. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

people who actually live in Norway dont wear this ugly shit

11. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I've got a bunch of Dale sweaters. Really nice, but you need it to be cold....

+1 I have a Dale windstopper and LOVE it.

12. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Haha. More importantly, do Swedes or Finns wear them?

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I have used this method with all-wool sweaters with good success:

Dissolve mild soap flakes in lukewarm water and carefully wash the garment by gentle squeezing. Rinse thoroughly in water of the SAME temperature. A fabric conditioner may be added to the rinse water. Squeeze water out or give a short spin to remove excess water. Roll the garment in a towel to remove more moisture.

Ease into shape and dry on a flat surface. When drying keep away from direct heat and strong light. A light steam-iron will ensure that the garment retains its original shape.

14. mimile

mimile Senior member

This is not true at all. I lived in Norway for 6 years. Every single Norwegian has at least one of these.

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

I've been thinking of getting one with one with a lining to use for skiing on nice days. Are they really as good as the hype?

+1 I have a Dale windstopper and LOVE it.

as noted above, they do make some 'styles' w/ windstopper. i always think of them as more apres ski, but i suppose for a nice day they could work. [​IMG] * i don't downhill ski, but rather crosscountry - would not use for that. good for skating.....