1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LL Bean Norwegian Sweater

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarinetplayer, Oct 16, 2009.

1. abcx

abcx Well-Known Member

Is this made in a plain style too, perhaps? That design is too garrish for me.

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I would expect the quality to be there; but is the fit any slimmer, higher arm holes, etc.?

I had heard that the new version was going to be more slim-fit than the original. Although I highly doubt it will meet the SF definition of "slim fit".

3. mimile

mimile Senior member

What's the recommened method for washing the Norwegian sweater? Soak/Hang Dry ? Conventional cold wash in a machine/Hang Dry ? Dry Clean ? I guess the same method would apply to any garmet that is truly 100% wool.

I hand wash with cold water and Woolite, then soak twice and finally let dry in a flat position (hanging changes their shape). I never wash them in a machine or dry clean them. I do this once or twice a year. No problems ever.

4. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I've got a bunch of Dale sweaters. Really nice, but you need it to be cold....
    I've been thinking of getting one with one with a lining to use for skiing on nice days. Are they really as good as the hype?

5. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

people who actually live in Norway dont wear this ugly shit

6. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I've got a bunch of Dale sweaters. Really nice, but you need it to be cold....

+1 I have a Dale windstopper and LOVE it.

7. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Haha. More importantly, do Swedes or Finns wear them?

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

What's the recommened method for washing the Norwegian sweater? Soak/Hang Dry ? Conventional cold wash in a machine/Hang Dry ? Dry Clean ? I guess the same method would apply to any garmet that is truly 100% wool.

I have used this method with all-wool sweaters with good success:

Dissolve mild soap flakes in lukewarm water and carefully wash the garment by gentle squeezing. Rinse thoroughly in water of the SAME temperature. A fabric conditioner may be added to the rinse water. Squeeze water out or give a short spin to remove excess water. Roll the garment in a towel to remove more moisture.

Ease into shape and dry on a flat surface. When drying keep away from direct heat and strong light. A light steam-iron will ensure that the garment retains its original shape.

9. mimile

mimile Senior member

This is not true at all. I lived in Norway for 6 years. Every single Norwegian has at least one of these.

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

I've been thinking of getting one with one with a lining to use for skiing on nice days. Are they really as good as the hype?

+1 I have a Dale windstopper and LOVE it.

as noted above, they do make some 'styles' w/ windstopper. i always think of them as more apres ski, but i suppose for a nice day they could work. [​IMG] * i don't downhill ski, but rather crosscountry - would not use for that. good for skating.....

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

The sweater arrived today. 100% wool. No rayon as the sweaters of old had. This is definitely a sweater for COLD weather--very cold. Wouldn't you know, today is the warmest day that we've had in weeks. (Nearly 60 degrees.) I certainly could have used this sweater last week! This is a sweater for outdoor wear.

Even though it is 100% wool, the label says "dry clean only".

I ordered a medium, and it is very roomy. I have a 39 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. I wonder if I could have gotten by with a small?

A beautiful sweater that will last a long, long time.

12. shasta

shasta Senior member

I called in my order yesterday - can't wait for it to arrive!

13. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

The sweater arrived today. 100% wool. No rayon as the sweaters of old had. This is definitely a sweater for COLD weather--very cold. Wouldn't you know, today is the warmest day that we've had in weeks. (Nearly 60 degrees.) I certainly could have used this sweater last week! This is a sweater for outdoor wear.

Even though it is 100% wool, the label says "dry clean only".

I ordered a medium, and it is very roomy. I have a 39 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. I wonder if I could have gotten by with a small?

A beautiful sweater that will last a long, long time.

fit pic?

that would be great

14. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

I've read about this sweater on so many different blogs now, for the most part its people nostalgic for their old version and happy to see that LL Bean is making it again and doing so in Norway. I love the idea that this thing is unbelievably warm and that it will last a lifetime.

What I can't get over is the fact it looks straight out of the early 80s, a really warm sweater is great, but I also have things called jackets that are warm. Perhaps because I didn't have one back then (too young), I can't understand the nostalgia for them. I'd love to see how people under 35 are rocking this sweater, while some things can be taken out of the country (or in this case off the boats), I don't know, just not sure how to pull this off in the city. Plus, it seems like everyone's going to have one of these.

15. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

This is not true at all. I lived in Norway for 6 years. Every single Norwegian has at least one of these.
    Rubbish. I don't know anyone who has one. Not that I mind the style, just saying.

Maybe 20 years ago, today no.

16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I've always wanted one.

17. Station

Station Senior member

I'd love to see how people under 35 are rocking this sweater, while some things can be taken out of the country (or in this case off the boats), I don't know, just not sure how to pull this off in the city.
    I'll be pairing it with a pink OCBD and khakis or cords. Honour its preppy history.

18. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I've read about this sweater on so many different blogs now, for the most part its people nostalgic for their old version and happy to see that LL Bean is making it again and doing so in Norway. I love the idea that this thing is unbelievably warm and that it will last a lifetime.

What I can't get over is the fact it looks straight out of the early 80s, a really warm sweater is great, but I also have things called jackets that are warm. Perhaps because I didn't have one back then (too young), I can't understand the nostalgia for them. I'd love to see how people under 35 are rocking this sweater, while some things can be taken out of the country (or in this case off the boats), I don't know, just not sure how to pull this off in the city. Plus, it seems like everyone's going to have one of these.

I agree. Good for them, but I wouldn't wear it.

19. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

Haha. More importantly, do Swedes or Finns wear them?

the swedish are a more stylish bunch

finns dont care for such flimsy laborious knits

[​IMG]

20. romafan

romafan Senior member

the swedish are a more stylish bunch

finns dont care for such flimsy laborious knits

[​IMG]

What is everyone looking at? [​IMG] The guy in the Norwegian sweater?