LL Bean Blucher Mocs for casual use

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wikiwiz, May 11, 2008.

1. wikiwiz

wikiwiz Well-Known Member

2. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

3. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

If you're going to get blucher mocs, I think Quoddy mocs are nicer than the Beans.

4. selbsttatig

selbsttatig Senior member

5. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

Boat shoes and camp mocs have about as much in common as high tops and cowboy boots.

6. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

7. blank

blank Senior member

I know someone who wears the LL Bean's. I think they look great in that GQ pic but that pair has clearly seen some nice wear, affecting the patina and making them look more worn-in. I think they have to look like that to look decent. The guy I know, I swear he polishes them, and I think they look toolish.

8. xchen

xchen Senior member

blank, having had them and seen how they look after time, I doubt he polishes them. I wish they had the patina the ones in the GQ pic had. They'll get there at some point, I guess.

9. blank

blank Senior member

I'm joking about the polish, of course, though I figure you wear yours pretty regularly and it's surprising if you're saying that they haven't weathered much.

10. xchen

xchen Senior member

I wear them almost everyday and I wear them hard. Here is a pic that I posted on SUFU a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

11. dustindeed

dustindeed Member

it's funny that people are talking about the patina in the gq pics b/c if you've seen the photo in the actual mag, it looks like all they did was rub some dust onto them.

i've been wearing these shoes since i was a kid and at the sake of sounding like an askandy'er, they've really went downhill over the years. the current pair i have are 2 years old or so and while soft, the leather is cheap and thin and pretty much just gets dull and flat with wear...they'll definitely look better than new, but people expecting the leather to develop any real character are going to be mistaken.

12. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

blank, having had them and seen how they look after time, I doubt he polishes them. I wish they had the patina the ones in the GQ pic had. They'll get there at some point, I guess.

Do some yard work in them (mowing, weed-wacking). The freshly cut grass gets into the scuffs and stains them quickly, producing a nice depth.

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I have to agree with Dustin, the recent Bean Bluchers I've seen don't look nearly as nice as the ones I wore 20 years ago in college.

That being said, I think they look fine with jeans or khakis but I always hated them with shorts. Topsiders are a much better look with shorts IMHO.

I have to admit though, I haven't owned a pair since college. There are just so many other better options in casual shoes.

14. DaveFromGA

DaveFromGA Active Member

Compared to LL Bean blucher mocs, what is your opinion of Sebago's version of them (which, btw, is no longer made)? I have a pair that I got off eBay.
    [​IMG]

15. naaaaate

naaaaate Senior member

I got the blucher mocs recently and I have to say for $70 they're awesome. I know people are saying that LL Bean cheaped out and I'm sure thats true but that's fine with me because it keeps it more in my price range and when I actually have money (instead of pursuing a silly "do what you love" career) I'll buy something nicer.