• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Barleycorn tweed - how to make it up?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of making it up like this

Any other ideas?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's the weight on it?

And, are you slim or not?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the idea of the flapped patch hip pockets, but the gusseted version might be too awesome for me.

If I had that cloth, I would do flapped crescent hip pockets and a welt breast. There's a great photo of, I think, a Dege version on the Centipede site.

In either case, I would have an English tailor do it.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend also a gusseted breast pocket for maximum cargo-coat style.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of the flapped patch hip pockets, but the gusseted version might be too awesome for me.
If I had that cloth, I would do flapped crescent hip pockets and a welt breast. There's a great photo of, I think, a Dege version on the Centipede site.

Do you have a link for the centipede site? I only see the shoe section. I've never seen his coats.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I already have one like that. I've never used that pocket.

Nice. But, then, where do you keep your loose change? :confused:

Seriously though, that cloth looks interesting. Come to think of it, I actually don't think I've ever seen someone (outside of this forum, of course) wearing a barleycorn cloth. What made you decide to go with flapped, versus unflapped, patch pockets?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously though, that cloth looks interesting. Come to think of it, I actually don't think I've ever seen someone (outside of this forum, of course) wearing a barleycorn cloth. What made you decide to go with flapped, versus unflapped, patch pockets?

The picture is a barleycorn jacket from RL. I had seen another barleycorn from RL Polo last year with an action back, throat latch, patch pockets and leather elbow patch.

I see what you are talking about
moon_pocket.jpg

But I think crescent pockets seem risky to get right.

Rubinacci+1.JPG

Rubinacci+4.JPG

Another option is patch pockets like this.
dsc00780pm8.jpg

or bellows patch with a button
dsc00863gz5.jpg

dsc0396.jpg

dsc0397no.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get it made up similar to RL jacket. If not envelope then regular hip patch pockets.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously though, that cloth looks interesting. Come to think of it, I actually don't think I've ever seen someone (outside of this forum, of course) wearing a barleycorn cloth.

I have an Isaia dark brown barleycorn sports coat that I picked up from STP. One of my favorite finds. It might be considered a faux-barleycorn since it isn't tweed but rather a wool-cashmere mix.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pockets on this Cifonelli is fantastic. I might just have to have them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads