• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living the good life AND being fit????

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am lucky to live the "good life" great wine, great food, great restaurants, wonderful partys visiting great places etc. However you can tell just how much of the "good life" I am getting by my ever expanding waste line.

My lifestyle is such that temptation is presented to me multiple times per day, and it would not be unusual for my to dine a great restaurants 10 times per week. And to be honest I usually dine like it might be my last chance to have a great meal and great drink.

Any advice on how to deal with this? As I am getting in my late 40's and now 50 lbs more than I should weigh I have to change something.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how to deal with this? As I am getting in my late 40's and now 50 lbs more than I should weigh I have to change something.

Two bits of advice from me:

1. One way is to just stop what you are doing and think of the fine dining etc. as a more occasional reward you get for achieving a series of health and fitness goals. Set those goals reasonably, but don't make them too easy. So, if you do some form of exercise every other day for a week, then you get to go out. And gradually up the amount and difficulty level to achieve your reward.

2. Alternatively, or as well, you should change what you eat both when you go out and at home. Cut the refined flours and sugars out in particular. So, stop eating white bread, white rice, potatoes and desserts, cut down both sodas and alcohol and cut out beer completely. Eat more salads, whole grains etc. You can still eat meat though and it's not about 'fat' as such although you might at least initially want to reduce your fat intake a little. But you will achieve more by cutting out the refined sugars and flours. You can still eat out with these rules, but just take more care - one of the guys who originally came up with this approach*, Michel Montignac, was actually a bit of a gourmet, and his first book was called Dine Out and Lose Weight (which BTW, might be the ideal book for you to buy if you buy any)...

*Now generally refered to under the umbrella of 'GI' (or Glycaemic Index) diets, because they concentrate on stabilizing blood sugar levels so that your body doesn't keep trying to lay down fat.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

#1 would not work, as my work requires me to be out dining daily. But I will give the book a read.

helios199

Reaction score
There's a super simple thing one can do that somehow never occurs to people. It is now becoming popular, "intermittent fasting" is the correct google term. People do it for lots of reasons, some of which are probably quackery. It does work though, and my "same as highschool" waistline is proof.

Basically don't eat for 16 hours of the day. For myself this means skipping breakfast and lunch and eating a large dinner or two. For others, they just skip breakfast and eat normally otherwise. It's hell for the first few days. After that, it's just a natural state of being. I've often felt ooky after a heavy breakfast or lunch. No longer; the whole day is lightning alertness. Then I eat at the end of the day. Yes, a mocha frappuccino counts as a heavy breakfast: no sugar or excess milk in your coffee (a little cream is fine, but black is better).

There's all kinds of science detail that people focus on; most of it is unimportant, unless you're hypoglycemic or diabetic or something. Unless you have a dinner diet made up of pizza and HFCS, simply by limiting the hours of the day you can eat, you're going to eat fewer calories.

shorts17

Reaction score
I came to the conclusion that is almost impossible! LOL
I workout 4-6 times a week...I am Italian....I love food and wines! LOL
But...I started doing intrmitted fasting where pretty much eating normal but fast for 14-16 hours. I just have dinner hopefully before 9pm and then have lunch the day after at 1pm.
I try not to drink unless weekend and cut as much sugar as possible...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just train long and hard enough to burn all those calories you are ingesting!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lift! And swim, which I used to do more, but I don't have any time any more. But lifting is essential.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you back on the forum, Manton! I used to do a lot of lifting, but these days I am more of a "swinger," not in the sense you might suspect of me, but of Indian clubs and kettlebells.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More and more trainers are saying, “exercise is a lousy way to loose weight”. Yes, exercise is important for good health, looking and feeling your best. But, dropping weight begins in the kitchen or when reading the menu.

I’ve had excellent results by cutting out sugars and grains. The best part is I get to eat steak, bacon, eggs, cheese, charcuterie plates, beef jerky, etc., as well as delicious fish (love smoked salmon and shrimp cocktails) and any veggies, of course. Skipping desserts and cutting out bread wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. Plus, it made me aware of how much bread and sugars I was ingesting daily. The most positive benefit aside from weight loss is that I feel full and satisfied all the time. No more cravings between meals. Its easy for me to go to a restaurant and find plenty of options to eat. Plus every restaurant will make you a jumbo burger with cheese without a bun or grilled salmon on grilled or steamed veggies.

Check out the Vinnie Tortorich website and his #nsng (no sugars no grains) diet. It is free and he has a podcast as well.

Last edited:

piezoung48

Reaction score
I'm Vietnamese so it's hard to cut rice from meal because I have meal with family and have no time to prepare my own one.
But what should I do to lose my bad fat? I'm going to running 10km per day, eat as least as carb. Does it take effect?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm Vietnamese so it's hard to cut rice from meal because I have meal with family and have no time to prepare my own one.
But what should I do to lose my bad fat? I'm going to running 10km per day, eat as least as carb. Does it take effect?
Lift weights also.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rice and white potatoes are carb "bombs". Everyone eats way too large of servings and too frequently. Guaranteed to give you a belly.

Reaction score
Alternatively you can see an expanding waistline as an incentive to keep updating your wardrobe; as a side effect, you will support an endangered species, the competent tailor who can make clothes that fit fat people. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads