• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living In Vancouver, BC vs Toronto, ON

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about moving from Toronto Area to Vancouver Area. I've got a job offer which requires moving to Vancouver. We are all exited, although never been there. The closest places to Vancouver I've visited are Seattle and Portland.

So we are collecting as many information as we can.

What pros and cons of living in Vancouver.
How is the living there compare to Toronto.

We are thinking to buy a property: house, townhouse. So which neighbourhoods and suburbs are the best?

We don't mind to live in suburb within an hour drive from downtown or so. Not going to drive to Vancouver everyday.

We have to kids (5 and 7) so we want good schools and quite neighbourhood.

So far we were thinking about Squamish, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, even Abbotsford and Cultus Lake.

Will appreciate any suggestions, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.

khughes44

Reaction score
We are thinking about moving from Toronto Area to Vancouver Area. I've got a job offer which requires moving to Vancouver. We are all exited, although never been there. The closest places to Vancouver I've visited are Seattle and Portland.

So we are collecting as many information as we can.

What pros and cons of living in Vancouver.
How is the living there compare to Toronto.

We are thinking to buy a property: house, townhouse. So which neighbourhoods and suburbs are the best?

We don't mind to live in suburb within an hour drive from downtown or so. Not going to drive to Vancouver everyday.

We have to kids (5 and 7) so we want good schools and quite neighbourhood.

So far we were thinking about Squamish, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, even Abbotsford and Cultus Lake.

Will appreciate any suggestions, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.
Did this move happen?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's obviously waiting on your recommendations before making the jump. Come on you guys, get on it..

Reaction score
Absolutely! Can't wait already.

The air is better, the outdoors is lovely.

However, you have to turn a blind eye to the dress sense of people and its much less social if you dont make a big effort.

Not to mention, I do not think highly of Toronto either...

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend living in vancouver as there aren't many real jobs there. Hasn't been a huge deal to me as I have businesses in the US but home prices relative to jobs in Vancouver do not compute.

In San Francisco, NYC etc there are plenty of 6 figure jobs but definitely not the case in Vancouver...

All the suburbs you mentioned are not places I would personally want to live and some are going to have awful schools relative to what you'd be paying to live there.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to White Rock! Decent restaurants and right near the 99, which will take you downtown. You can probably get a nicer place the further from Vancouver you go, depending on your budget. All of the places you mentioned are great. Any specific questions?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Come to White Rock! Decent restaurants and right near the 99, which will take you downtown. You can probably get a nicer place the further from Vancouver you go, depending on your budget. All of the places you mentioned are great. Any specific questions?

Best place for a couple to live near Vancouver with a housing budget of $500,000 USD?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best suggestion is to check out realtor.ca and see what you can do.

$668,000 CAD doesn’t go far in the GVRD, certainly not a single family home.

Lots of townhome and condo options for that, however. New Westminster, Port Coquitlam, and maybe even North Vancouver are nice- close enough to downtown but also to the water and local mountains.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads