• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Living In Vancouver, BC vs Toronto, ON

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about moving from Toronto Area to Vancouver Area. I've got a job offer which requires moving to Vancouver. We are all exited, although never been there. The closest places to Vancouver I've visited are Seattle and Portland.

So we are collecting as many information as we can.

What pros and cons of living in Vancouver.
How is the living there compare to Toronto.

We are thinking to buy a property: house, townhouse. So which neighbourhoods and suburbs are the best?

We don't mind to live in suburb within an hour drive from downtown or so. Not going to drive to Vancouver everyday.

We have to kids (5 and 7) so we want good schools and quite neighbourhood.

So far we were thinking about Squamish, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, even Abbotsford and Cultus Lake.

Will appreciate any suggestions, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.

khughes44

Reaction score
We are thinking about moving from Toronto Area to Vancouver Area. I've got a job offer which requires moving to Vancouver. We are all exited, although never been there. The closest places to Vancouver I've visited are Seattle and Portland.

So we are collecting as many information as we can.

What pros and cons of living in Vancouver.
How is the living there compare to Toronto.

We are thinking to buy a property: house, townhouse. So which neighbourhoods and suburbs are the best?

We don't mind to live in suburb within an hour drive from downtown or so. Not going to drive to Vancouver everyday.

We have to kids (5 and 7) so we want good schools and quite neighbourhood.

So far we were thinking about Squamish, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, even Abbotsford and Cultus Lake.

Will appreciate any suggestions, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.
Did this move happen?

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's obviously waiting on your recommendations before making the jump. Come on you guys, get on it..

Reaction score
Absolutely! Can't wait already.
The air is better, the outdoors is lovely.

However, you have to turn a blind eye to the dress sense of people and its much less social if you dont make a big effort.

Not to mention, I do not think highly of Toronto either...

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
I don't recommend living in vancouver as there aren't many real jobs there. Hasn't been a huge deal to me as I have businesses in the US but home prices relative to jobs in Vancouver do not compute.

In San Francisco, NYC etc there are plenty of 6 figure jobs but definitely not the case in Vancouver...

All the suburbs you mentioned are not places I would personally want to live and some are going to have awful schools relative to what you'd be paying to live there.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to White Rock! Decent restaurants and right near the 99, which will take you downtown. You can probably get a nicer place the further from Vancouver you go, depending on your budget. All of the places you mentioned are great. Any specific questions?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Come to White Rock! Decent restaurants and right near the 99, which will take you downtown. You can probably get a nicer place the further from Vancouver you go, depending on your budget. All of the places you mentioned are great. Any specific questions?
Best place for a couple to live near Vancouver with a housing budget of $500,000 USD?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best suggestion is to check out realtor.ca and see what you can do.

$668,000 CAD doesn’t go far in the GVRD, certainly not a single family home.

Lots of townhome and condo options for that, however. New Westminster, Port Coquitlam, and maybe even North Vancouver are nice- close enough to downtown but also to the water and local mountains.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.