1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Living in Portland

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jaychiz, Apr 11, 2011.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

anyone know anything about the civic condos near PGE park? i'm trying to find a newer apartment near the pearl that will be under 800, definitely challenging, buying seems to be a much better option since there are some great deals (at least compared to vancouver)

You probably want to rent for at least a little while, to figure out the neighborhoods etc, but I think PDX is a great real estate value at the moment. Prices have fallen considerably from their peaks, but the fundamentals are still strong (sound economy, desirable city, stringent urban growth limit), so prices should come back very well when the national housing market starts to improve.

2. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

yeah most definitely, i was just curious because the prices of that building are about half of our downtown prices here

3. js0930

js0930 Senior member

don't buy unless you intend to live there for at least 10 years. there are very few jobs, little to no economic growth and the local government is about as business unfriendly as is humanly possible. and there are a million empty condos in the pearl and on the south waterfront. walk around at 9 o'clock at night and see how many lights are on in the buildings. supply has exceeded demand by a gross amount.
    The food and beer are great, the people are hipsters and hippies and they all come from somewhere else that wasn't as "progressive" as portland and want to talk about how great the city is. the best part of portland is mt. hood and the oregon coast and all the outdoor activities that exist in close proximity to the city. if you're not interested in those, then you will probably quickly get bored of the city.

4. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

well in comparison it would be so much cheaper for me to buy in that same building than rent

a 700 sqft 1 bed room is 1100 a month to rent

to buy it it's something like 160-170k and i could reasonably put 50-60% down which would be monthly's of 500 and 250 in maintenance, plus at the end of it all whenever that may be, i'll have some sort of asset to sell or rent out at least

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

well in comparison it would be so much cheaper for me to buy in that same building than rent

a 700 sqft 1 bed room is 1100 a month to rent

to buy it it's something like 160-170k and i could reasonably put 50-60% down which would be monthly's of 500 and 250 in maintenance, plus at the end of it all whenever that may be, i'll have some sort of asset to sell or rent out at least

Don't dismiss the opportunity cost of that 50-60% down and the fact you can't pick up and leave that building/neighborhood/city without the hassle of a sale. You're going to do what you want to do but renting for a year any time you change cities is a good idea IMO.

6. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

yeah. plus, I believe oregon has pretty high property taxes to make up for their lack of sales tax.

7. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

8. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

i moved here 1 month ago for work from LA.
    Its a great change, i would go for it. Dont live in the pearl. Its wanna be yuppy urbanites looking for manufactured urban living. If you want that go to central easide along the river.
    East side is where the majority of creative/young/hip people reside. more up and coming sections.
    The commute is shitty- i do eastside to beaverton. But it balances out in the end, you get way more for your money rentwise.
    NW is fun a good hood but presents challenges-old buildings, no parking, but is a great walking area and close to the fwy. more established.
    food, culture, music its all here, and theres always something to do. If your into outdoors, its perfect, if you dont mind being soggy. 1 hr drive into the gorge for epic hikes, mt hood, ect...

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Don't dismiss the opportunity cost of that 50-60% down and the fact you can't pick up and leave that building/neighborhood/city without the hassle of a sale. You're going to do what you want to do but renting for a year any time you change cities is a good idea IMO.
    This is great advice to the OP. You want to make sure the job and city work out for you before you commit to anything. Rent for 6 months to a year. You should know in your heart if you want to stay long term or not by then. EDIT: I have never been to Portland, but am curious about the city. Keep hearing it's what Austin, TX used to be around 10 or so years ago.

10. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

ok so if i want somewhere in a newer building/amenities with parking where should i be looking?

11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

use padmapper which aggregates the craigslist postings. Theres a lot of newer buildings on the eastside popping up, some condos for rent, some more planned apt communities. Neighborhoods to scan are alberta, hawthorne, missisippi, belmont, burnside(central eastside in general has a couple old wharehouse conversions that are cheaper than pearl). These are streets, so find em on padmapper and scan around. These are all newer buildings w/ amenities. http://www.2121belmont.com/ http://www.tupeloalley.com/ http://www.mississippiavenuelofts.com/ http://www.belmontdairy.com/ http://www.pathfinderfunds.com/selec...wthorne-lofts/

12. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

When I lived in Portland, we'd go up to Seattle for a weekend of "fun" a few times a year. [​IMG]
    When I lived in Seattle, we'd go to Vancouver (a legitimately fun city).

Thanks for the invites, DICK.

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Thank you for that, very enlightening.

14. juliette2000

juliette2000 Senior member

Was I the only person confused by the phrase "offered a job in Portland"?

I didn't think they actually had jobs there.

+1

I've been looking since I lost my job a year and a half ago. No job/no money really takes away from the "liveability" of the city. There are no jobs here.

But it's a great place to live if you are into gray skies and rain for months on end.

15. juliette2000

juliette2000 Senior member

anyone know anything about the civic condos near PGE park? i'm trying to find a newer apartment near the pearl that will be under 800, definitely challenging, buying seems to be a much better option since there are some great deals (at least compared to vancouver)

Not going to happen. 800$ bucks will get you a room, at best, in that area. Portland housing is ridiculously overpriced.

Oh, and it's not PGE Park anymore, it's Jeldwen Field. (Got rid of baseball and brought in soccer). Might make a difference when you're googling.

I didn't grow up here...lived places I liked better. But I do enjoy the fact that it's a short drive to mountain or beach.

16. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Bumping this because a guy I know keeps talking about moving to Portland. He went there recently to visit. Is the job market really that bad? He said that he read it's supposed to be growing above the national average. Never been near the place myself.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  17. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

I think we're inline with detroit if not worse. Job market is terrible. I did move up for a job, but my lady is struggling to find anything while the market is supposedly growing theres no evidence.
    I read a good quote though regarding the cities sub30 retirement age

"One of Portlandia’s catchphrases is that it’s “where young people go to retire,” but that doesn’t fully capture it. Rather, think back to the moment when you realized you were grown up enough to buy candy whenever you wanted. Then imagine extending that phase indefinitely, for years."

Article

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The layers of meta-irony are rich in this.

Also, this is a pretty good description of my experience living in PDX in the late '80s, although it leaves out some of the ugliness, like the thriving racist skinhead scene:

I went to college with the NPR reporter mentioned in the article.

Edit: the article also missed a golden opportunity to reflect on the fact that Portland has a Brooklyn neighborhood of its own, which isn't particularly bohemian.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011