1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Living in miami

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by edinatlanta, Jan 4, 2013.

1. razl

razl Senior member

I'm a northern transplant who's lived in central Florida for about 25 years. I'm athletic and run about 12-20K a week (depending). I'm also somebody who sweats super easy (and I'm as pale a cracker as you'll find).

You didn't say how far you ran, but unless you're superman, you are not running in 110 in Florida. Actually, here we only get up to about 102-103, but humidity can be 85%+, even when temps are "only" 85-95'ish. You will die just trying to run 3 miles. No joke, people pass out and have heart-attacks.. I bust my arse just to safely get 10-12K in a week during our killer june-august span. August especially is brutal. During those times, I'm fond of saying "it's not how far you run, it's how long you survive"

Dry heat is easy - you can escape it by shielding from it. High heat and humidity is like a sauna. And, just for comparison, I've 10 hour hiked the grand canyon to the bottom and out (south rim) when it was 100+ on the surface and 135+ down in the canyon with zero humidity - no prob.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I always tell people its not the heat, but the humidity.

3. suited

suited Senior member

I've lived here for about 3 years and while I enjoy much of what Florida has to offer, it's not my ideal place to live. The weather is highly overrated. As mentioned above, there's 1 season, it rains all the time and it's miserably hot most of the year. I'll eventually relocate down the road, the weather being a factor in that decision.

Of course you have pretty good nightlife, shopping, beaches, lots of beautiful women, ample job opportunities (although i wouldn't call the job market "great"), and a few months of what I would consider pretty decent weather.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

As a counterpoint, its currently 80 degrees. In the middle of January. Anyone who wants to bitch about the heat can suck on that. Beats freezing your dick off in some northern hellhole.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I like humidity. Like, I've spent extended periods of time in equatorial outposts at the height of summer. Loved every second. (Just for...something I guess... In the summer I drive windows up, no AC. Don't ask me why. But just to give an idea of my tolerance or whatever...there you go.)

6. suited

suited Senior member

80 isn't bad as long as it's not humid, although I like 70 better. The one nice thing about the heat are the nights and early mornings in the winter. I can go outside at 10pm or 7am in shorts and a t-shirt.

7. dacia1300

dacia1300 Senior member

its going to be 65 in nyc this weekend, u mad?

8. LooksGood

LooksGood Senior member

No that's what I'm saying though, like if an average looking guy with average talk game made 200k in NYC, he isn't getting any models. But put that guy in Miami, where people make much less, he WOULD have what it takes, no?

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

not necessarily. because NYC $200k is more or less equal to our $150k and I'm sure there are plenty of people pulling that down. down here, its more about image and the appearance of money. style really doesn't factor into it much for men. miami has abysmal men's style.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

damn, you beat me to it

11. LooksGood

LooksGood Senior member

I was talking 200k in Miami though, which, if the ratios are consistent, would be like 267k in NYC, which is probably on the border of impressive. I'm surprised to hear that Miami has poor style, but most of what I know about South Beach derives from watching Nip Tuck.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

and only the one doctor dressed well. its really a women's style town. men just wear what is hot and/or expensive.

13. LooksGood

LooksGood Senior member

good to know; btw which doctor dressed well, I really thought they both dressed well, Christan was just flashier.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Christian. The other one was bland and boring.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

agree. and that's among the relatively few men who care about their appearance in public. it's actually more common to see women in their coiffed evening best walking with their dates looking like garbage in wifebeaters, cargo shorts and flip flops.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  16. dacia1300

dacia1300 Senior member

what about all those fitted affliction and ed hardy shirts with the true religion jeans

17. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member