• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in Los Angeles

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I commuted at about 6:30-6:45 and never really had any issues, I think at 7:30-8 it's certainly going to be pretty busy though. This is a couple years ago, but afaik it hasn't gotten much worse. As a med student, I imagine during your first two years you'll be at the school until pretty late at night, I wouldn't be overly concerned with traffic then...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get smart,
i disagree. i live in santa monica and if you get on the 10 east before 7:30am you can go all the way to downtown at 65mph. the same is true on the way back, as long as you leave downtown by 4:30pm.

hopkins,
you haven't given us your budget for an apartment, but if i were you i'd look into the following neighborhoods: hollywood, silverlake, los feliz, miracle mile, fairfax district, and venice. affordable apartments are to be found in these neighborhoods if you look hard enough, they're convenient to usc, and you can avoid the pasadena freeway.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy, we have some morning people here.

Yes, most freeways in LA are pretty clear if you hit the road around 7:00am or earlier, but for those of us who start the day later, the morning traffic will peak between 8:00 and 9:00 and tapers off after that. Some freeways have more peak than others (like the 10) and others have more taper than others (like the 2). Afternoon rush hour is less likely to be an issue for someone in school, depending on class schedule and study patterns.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't like traffic, which is why I always commuted fairly early (and why I now live in Orange County) I think the worst traffic is up in the valley though, especially the 134 and 210 at times, a buddy of mine commuted from Victorville to Glendale
wow.gif
(don't ask, he was crazy) and it took 3-4 hours, he spent as much time commuting as he did at work... all that to own a house for 50% less than LA county...

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't like traffic, which is why I always commuted fairly early (and why I now live in Orange County) Â I think the worst traffic is up in the valley though, especially the 134 and 210 at times, a buddy of mine commuted from Victorville to Glendale
wow.gif
(don't ask, he was crazy) and it took 3-4 hours, he spent as much time commuting as he did at work... all that to own a house for 50% less than LA county...
I have met people who commute from Palmdale to downtown LA, and Lancaster to the South Bay. You could probably find two jobs closer to home that would add up to the same amount of salary, and spend less time in the car.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can see the appeal of LA if you visited here shortly, but i'm ready to move elsewhere, for my own politically incorrect reasons....(unless my band hits it big haha)
If you're an East Coaster (and particularly one from the DC/Baltimore area like me and hopkins), L.A. is like a foreign country.  Where it's sunny all the time and everyone is thin and good looking.

I think Santa Monica might be out of hopkins's price range.  It's one of the pricier neighborhoods in the greater L.A. area, right?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santa Monica is rather expensive to buy, but there are some apts inland that aren't too bad.

I think people from the East Coast will also find the pace of life is quite a bit slower here, especially New Yorkers.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hopkins,

you want to know what it's like to live in l.a.? i put out an ad for a classical guitarist because i'm having a baptism reception at my home on sunday. here's an e-mail i received today:

Hello,

The Season of Us

(a Jazzy and Classy Flute and Guitar duo)

is

Interested in sharing our music. 

We feel we are just what you are

A little about us...

The Season of Us

(Troubadours of a New Millennium)

is a Heartfelt Instrumental family orientated Husband & Wife Musical Duo who play exclusively from a Conscious Loving Space. The music works well with artists and incorporates a Madrid of musical styles such as:

Light Latin Spices

Boss Nova Blends

Jazz Colorings

Relaxing yet, Engaging Rhythms

Our Infectious Grooves can't help but stimulate your spirit and touch you at a Deep Soul Level. If you allow yourself to be taken, these gentle harmonies and flowing rhythms will open your heart to experience yourself and your life in a new and different way.

Part of our musical adventure is the interplay between the players and the listeners. We are totally focused and dedicated to bringing happiness and joy into people's lives through the sharing of the music from our hearts. We both have been writing songs for a long time in several different styles. We offer up a great Family Show...

It's always difficult to categorize and label an artist's music, especially one's own. When asked to describe our music, we call it:

Conscious Loving Music

Originating straight from our Hearts. While our productions tend to lend themselves to the traditions of Jazz (because of the improvisational phrasing, choral structures, and complex rhythms), our songs feature sensibilities of New Age, Pop and World Music and our performances highlight the intimate playful spirit of the 60's era. Whatever you choose to call our music, and however you use to define it, we hope you hear the sincerity, identify with its emotion, and understand its message. We are honored that we get to humbly share this music with you and it is our hope that you let yourself experience this music in a way that you are lifted into a high state of Harmony and Peace in your life.

If you are interested you can reach us at (310) 281-1855 or email us back...to request a promo Pac which includes our CD...

We are really interesting in sharing our music. Thanks for supporting Live Music...

Bill and Stephanie

The Season of Us

Flute and Guitar Music

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads