1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Living in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hopkins_student, Mar 28, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

I got into USC's medical school today. At first I wasn't giving it a whole lot of consideration, but then after visiting LA for the first time (the greatest city in the world, or at least for two days) and thinking about all of the benefits of living in that kind of climate it's pretty much moved to the top of my list. So, for those of you in Los Angeles, how do you like it? Also, looks like if I go I'll be living in the Pasadena area, about what is that going to run me for a 2 bedroom apartment? Is there any hope that buying a place and paying the mortgage is going to put me ahead (or not as far behind as an apartment) after four years?

Thanks.

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

Hop, Mrs. Nightowl and I pass our happiness for you, congrats and this deserves a toast to you on me next week, cannot wait to meet you, and let me buy you a glass of champagne to celebrate the occasion....go Trojans as my mother-in-law would say.

3. hopkins_student

Thanks Nightowl, I appreciate. I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone next week.

4. nightowl6261a

can't wait, what are you going to specialize in at the end?

5. hopkins_student

I'm probably going to specialize in either neurosurgery or urology, and then follow that with a fellowship in pediatric (insert one of those). In the end I want to do specialized pediatric surgery.

6. nightowl6261a

hat truly is special, only because it takes a lot to deal with kids that have a hard time expressing their fears with the realities of what is really wrong.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

i live near Pasadena, grew up there too. great town, one of the few i would *choose* to live in so cal. a 2 bedroom in the area will prolly run about $1000/month average (obviously there are more expensive and you may be able to find something around $800-900). Buying into Pasadena is expensive as the average home price is over $500,000. i dunno where yer coming from geographically, but the cheapest homes in the most ghetto areas will still run about $250,000+ and those will require some more money to fix up.

frankly, having grown up in the area all my life, i am looking to move out in a few years. i can see the appeal of LA if you visited here shortly, but i'm ready to move elsewhere, for my own politically incorrect reasons....(unless my band hits it big haha)

8. gamelan

gamelan Distinguished Member

congrats h_s. i know many who have tried the med school route only to have been denied entrance. you should give yourself a hearty pat on the back.

except for the 5 years i spent in San Diego for college i've lived in South Pasadena (yes we are our OWN city with a City Hall...) all my life so i imagine i'm in as good a position to talk about the area as any on the SF.

the Pasadena area is nice and i know there are a lot of USC med school and grad school students living in the area. my guess for a 2 bedroom apt would be around $1500-2000 in a fairly decent neighborhood. you probably want to avoid the NW section of Pasadena but all the other areas including South Pasadena would make for decent living. some areas are downright posh.

you'll need a car but hate driving in it in the LA area. your commute to USC from Pasadena will be horrible so you might want to consider getting a place near the Gold Line and make use of public transportation. and don't think for a second that you're anywhere near the beach. that's about 25-30 miles to the west. unless you're really dedicated you'll make it to the beach about once every two years.

but Pasadena is pretty centrally located. Hollywood is 25 minutes away. downtown about 20 minutes. the best Chinese food outside of China is about 15 minutes away. OC is 30 minutes. SFV 25 minutes. and if you like outdoor recreation, the San Gabriels are right behind you.

oh one other thing. Pasadena gets downright hot in the summer time. i know many a people who have regretted not getting a place with A/C.

anyway, i think i've blabbered on enough. best of luck at whatever med school you decide on attending.

-Jeff

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

seriously, Pasadena to USC is a 15-20 minute drive with no traffic but in rush hour, yer looking at a hellish 1 hour+ commute.

we've also got the *yawn* rose parade if yer into that

good luck at USC. great campus. it's an oasis in a ghetto desert

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Congrats, hs.

I would recommend taking a look at places in the greater Pasadena area (Arcadia, Temple City, San Gabriel, Rosemead, etc) as they will be reasonably close to USC (as others mentioned, 30 min or so with no traffic, 1+ hours with traffic) Climates in that area are generally fairly mild (although not like the beach) and it's a pretty nice place to live. I lived in Arcadia for a couple years, and enjoyed it, before moving to Orange County.

11. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

Those numbers seem kind of low for Pasadena. I think it would be difficult to find something around 800 for 2 bdrm in Pasadena.

I would think that since USC isn't anywhere as nice as UCLA, you could find a good price for an apartment to rent near USC.

Try Jay's burger if you come back to LA.

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

first, congratulaions.

second, it's always rush hour, so unless you're planning on going to school at 11pm and coming home at 4am, whatever you do, don't drive a stick shift.

third, why pasadena? if you want the real l.a. experience get a place near campus. it's ugly, but not as dangerous as people think. i'm from the westside but i did live near vermont and sunset for a while. that's a cool, cheap neighborhood; transvestite hookers, drugs on every corner, actors, hippies, models, intellectuals, good mexican food... everything that makes l.a. la la land. pasadena is a boring middle class suburb full of soccer moms and well to do asians: not that there's anything wrong with that.

fourth, you're looking at $1200 and up for a 2 bedroom in pasadena.

fifth, now is not the time to buy a house. the prices are inflated right now and the bubble will burst soon. wait for that.

good luck.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

(Get Smart @ Mar. 28 2005,19:40) Â a 2 bedroom in the area will prolly run about $1000/month average (obviously there are more expensive and you may be able to find something around $800-900). Â
    Those numbers seem kind of low for Pasadena. I think it would be difficult to find something around 800 for 2 bdrm in Pasadena.
    yea, the more i thought about it after posting, i agree...i must be stuck in 1990 [​IMG] but you CAN get a 2 bedroom for that pricerange in the towns just bordering Pasadena, as drizzt mentioned (san gabriel, temple city, alhambra etc)

14. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

Yeah, but I kind of pegged HS as whitebread when he wanted to live in Pasadena. Considering the views he's expressed before, I think he would be more comfortable living in Orange County than LA with all of its, ahem, cultural diversity.

15. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

Congrats.

Why Pasadena?