• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Living in la

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wrapping up my two-week stint in L.A. today.  While living downtown has been very convenient to work, there's only so much McDonald's, CPK, and Koo Koo Roo one can take.  Not to mention the fact that downtown L.A. is dead after dark.  I plan on coming back to L.A. on business for an extended period of time.  Can anyone suggest a good place for a single twenty-something to live, keeping in mind that I work downtown?  Someone suggested to me Manhattan Beach or Marina del Rey, but I'm interested in hearing as many opinions as possible.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

ulf

Reaction score
Keep in mind that we're talking about LA, and that a twenty minute drive is considered "close".  It's not unheard of to drive up to about an hour to get to a party or club, and commutes under 1/2 hour are a luxury.
I was in LA 15 years ago and what struck me was how many roads and freeways there were everywhere, and how flat everything was. Hardly any tall buildings, no "real" city blocks. It had a kind of suburb feel to it, somehow. I don't know. I know I enjoyed myself, I liked LA.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally enjoy shopping, except when it comes to apartments and groceries.  So for my extended stay I'll probably just get the corporate housing my firm uses.  Santa Monica is out, because the housing there is over 20 blocks from the beach, which defeats the purpose of living in Santa Monica.  I was thinking about the following places: (1) Pasadena (about a mile from Old Town), (2) Westside/Beverly Hills (stone's throw from Maxfield Bleu), and (3) Marina del Rey.  Anyone have recommendations from among these three places?

pstoller

Reaction score
Santa Monica is out, because the housing there is over 20 blocks from the beach, which defeats the purpose of living in Santa Monica.  I was thinking about the following places: (1) Pasadena (about a mile from Old Town), (2) Westside/Beverly Hills (stone's throw from Maxfield Bleu), and (3) Marina del Rey.  Anyone have recommendations from among these three places?
Actually, there's more to Santa Monica than the beach, including some good shopping and dining on Montana. I think you'd be happiest in the westside/BH area, though. You'll be closer to all the action.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pstoller, LA Guy:  Thanks for your insight.  I visited all three places this weekend.  Old Town Pasadena is really nice -- reminds me of the Georgetown area of D.C. -- but way too isolated from the rest of L.A. for my taste.  Of the other two choices, Westside/BH has shopping and clubbing, while Marina del Rey has outdoor activities and the beach.  I'm more likely to be engaged in the latter activities rather than the former, although living on the Westside will allow me to avoid the terrifying L.A. freeway system during my commute.  It's pretty much a tossup right now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey