• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

living in hell

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^that's true too. my friend in college paid 3k a month for a 1br so he couldn't eat anywhere but grey's papaya
If I see one more **** who thinks he's cultured and kkklassy because his apartment has a nice view and is kinda well decorated I'll throw him from my 9th floor, well decorated apt.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i miss my old apartment. i live in the burbs so i probably have no right having started this thread.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i miss my old apartment. i live in the burbs so i probably have no right having started this thread.

Probably?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i have a great view of airplanes from my backyard. very cosmopolitan.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
LOL at the cramped apart, wine bars and museum you don't visit=quality of life poasts.

That whole "art of living" thing has taken such a life of its own in the US that all marsupial-urban dwellers can talk about is how amazing the coffee is at American City Brewers co. or the glory that are the vegetarian Cannellonni at Chez Spezzo.

I say this as someone who never goes to suburban places and hates the countryside.

Moving to a big city is certainly an en vogue thing among a lot of recent college graduates, or at least, something that is more discussed because of the online world. There seems to be this whole network of blogs maintained by these people where the main objective is to promote living their unconventional lives in the big city. These blogs are easy to identify through such markers as liberal use of buzz words (i.e. "amazing"), lots of entries about coffee shops, and an overwhelming amount of inspirational quotes from new wave entrepreneurs.

On the one hand, I admire people who are able to follow their passions or do work that is more than a 9-to-5 to them. On the other, a lot of it comes across as hollow and inauthentic.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Moving to a big city is certainly an en vogue thing among a lot of recent college graduates, or at least, something that is more discussed because of the online world. There seems to be this whole network of blogs maintained by these people where the main objective is to promote living their unconventional lives in the big city. These blogs are easy to identify through such markers as liberal use of buzz words (i.e. "amazing"), lots of entries about coffee shops, and an overwhelming amount of inspirational quotes from new wave entrepreneurs. On the one hand, I admire people who are able to follow their passions or do work that is more than a 9-to-5 to them. On the other, a lot of it comes across as hollow and inauthentic.
While you may notice them more for one person who moves to the city to be, well, a hipster there are 20 who come there to work in an office and do **** like IBanking, accounting, secretarial work or whatnot. When these last people get hold of something (late) now that thing really goes into hyperdrive. They're more numerous and ready to spend so that the ************* of coolness may at least splash their shoes a little.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i have a great view of airplanes from my backyard. very cosmopolitan.

Longing for an escape I see.

I guess I'm a guy who wants the best of both worlds. I love the country side, being out in the woods on a trail, quiet and solitude, being surrounded by green. I also love the city life, all the shopping, entertainment, hustle and bustle, proximity of friends.

I think this just means that I need two homes, the second one being on a body of water like a lake or the ocean.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
As long as you've got steady stream of **'s and lays you're set.

ftfy...

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL at the cramped apart, wine bars and museum you don't visit=quality of life poasts.

lol @ the strawman-directed angst poasts

Hayato

Reaction score
I can't complain, San Diego is the witches titty. Weather, girls, beaches, food, nightlife, etc.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cl smooth
it's all perspective.... you can be happy anywhere with the right attitude.

true. i grew up in idaho, everything was fine for me. I moved to nashville, (not a huge cuty, but massive comparatively) and now when I go back to idaho I wanna shoot myself...no idea how I survived there.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
also, lol @ all the "big house = quality of life" poasts

Was just thinking yesterday that I'm grateful that I live in a house in the burbs, especially with an infant. I can take a wailing baby from room to room, from the top floor to the bottom floor. I can only imagine the special kind of hell I would create if we lived in a city studio (or even one bed) apartment instead. I could imagine all my neighbors being pissed at my crying kid, and thinking that with all the cash I'm spending I could actually have a ******* house instead of this money pit in Sutton Place (or any example of an unfashionable but incredibly expensive neighborhood in Manhattan- Yorkville[where I did live] as another example).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wondering in what universe long island isn't hell?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^hence my mea cupla.

I have good italian delis and fantastic mexican and i'm a 20 minute drive to manhattan so it works for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads