• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in Florence

Oligarch

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looks like I'm going to spend the next year living in Florence on a research fellowship. I need to sort out my living arrangements, and am debating whether to live in the city center or the hills outside, which is where my office would be located.

I'm a 31 year-old single guy looking to take advantage of the nightlife, but also have memories of the city center being a bit claustrophobic. Admittedly I was there in August and my memories are of a trip that happened over 10 years ago. How practical is it living around say Fiesole and coming into town for late nights out? Are taxis plentiful late night? Or should one just live in town?

Any tips appreciated!

Last edited:

wootx

Reaction score
(Properly speaking) nigh-life only happens thu-sat. Taxis are expensive, more so at night. If you don't own a car, I believe your best bet is to look for a place very close to the city center (might as well be IN the cc, but it gets more expensive), take public transport (if available) to/from work, and move in the cc by foot/bike.

dressedforsuccess

Reaction score
Oligarch, I lived in Florence for 6 months as a student in the city center, and how claustrophobic it is really depends on the time of year (aka if it's tourist season). I lived there from January through June, and for January through March it's relatively easy to get around the city and into any musuems, but parking can be a bit of a hassle. Late March through around October though, different story. It gets very crowded, especially from around Piazza della Repubblica to the Duomo, and parking is impossible. Honestly, Fiesole isn't that far away (I walked it twice), and living out there and biking to the city center when you'd like to go gets my vote. As for taxis, in Florence you have to call one anyways, but they can run you a pretty penny (for reference, Florence to Pisa is around 120 euros). While Fiesole is, of course, much closer to Florence, those taxi bills will start adding up. However there are buses you can take for much much much cheaper. All in all, Florence is a wonderful place and I know you'll enjoy your time there regardless. If you'd like more advice or anything else, feel free to message me.

-Robertson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads